Graphics in X4: post your impressions!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Riccardoman
x4

Graphics in X4: post your impressions!

Post by Riccardoman » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 02:50

This topic was made to give constructive criticism to the developers about certain graphical aspects in X4, so everyone feel free to post any concern about this aspect of the game in this topic

Giving the fact that I love almost everything that was presented so far, there are minor concerns that I would like to point out for the sake of "immersion"

So lets start with:

-https://youtu.be/DKGPyA1d79o?t=13m16s
the video trasmission, clunky animations and I can understand that, but the background, and the chair they sit on are always the same!

-https://youtu.be/DKGPyA1d79o?t=6m34s
the docking platforms: they are good and have funny advertising, but they shouldn't appear the same on a paranid ship or a teladi ship, there should be evident racial differencies (it would also be amazing to have internal docking in certain station modules or inside capital ships)

-https://youtu.be/DKGPyA1d79o?t=1m51s
am I wrong or did I just saw an X3 solar power plant behind the station on the top left?! :roll:

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 07:39

I feel like I can answer 1 & 2 easily enough: It's early access, many of the assets/animations are incomplete or placeholders. Although I do hope that they have different models for the various races' docking bays.

And my 2¢ on 3: Oh boy I hope it is :)
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

csaba
x4

Re: Graphics in X4: post your impressions!

Post by csaba » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 09:23

riky rice wrote:So lets start with:

-https://youtu.be/DKGPyA1d79o?t=13m16s
the video trasmission, clunky animations and I can understand that, but the background, and the chair they sit on are always the same!
Meh. I wouldn't mind if in return the cockpits are different.
riky rice wrote:-https://youtu.be/DKGPyA1d79o?t=6m34s
the docking platforms: they are good and have funny advertising, but they shouldn't appear the same on a paranid ship or a teladi ship, there should be evident racial differencies (it would also be amazing to have internal docking in certain station modules or inside capital ships)
Taking it from previous games, uniformity is probably the case. Modding is than your answer.
riky rice wrote:-https://youtu.be/DKGPyA1d79o?t=1m51s
am I wrong or did I just saw an X3 solar power plant behind the station on the top left?! :roll:
Could be the derelict solar plant from XR, DV/Barren Hearth/Torrid Veil, would make more sense since it is the same engine.

Also please use the english videos on the english forums my German ain't what it used to be.

Ich wünsche ein frohes neu Jahr. :lol:

BmB

Post by BmB » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 16:34

Well it's pretty obvious that they are using a lot of placeholders from previous games. The artwork that is new is also clearly pretty unfinished and in an early stage. But I do like the brighter, cleaner look that is already evident in it.

Kinscar
x4

Post by Kinscar » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 16:40

Looks pretty good. I hope the stations are up to the same standards as in rebirth, those were amazing

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 17:05

Kinscar wrote:Looks pretty good. I hope the stations are up to the same standards as in rebirth, those were amazing
This! I like the new modular station building but the components I've seen so far all look a little static compared to Rebirth's. The station component animations were one of the highlights of Rebirth.

That said I haven't really seen the modules up close yet (anyone have a time code where they are shown clearly?) so still have high hopes :))

Would be nice to get a few different style docking platforms too but it's not too important I suppose. It makes some sense that landing platforms would be standardized.

Edit: a garage module that can be used to store 10+ s/m ships above ground would be an amazing addition too

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 19:18

spacecoyote99 wrote: Edit: a garage module that can be used to store 10+ s/m ships above ground would be an amazing addition too
This

And about rebirth modules would be nice to see an official support by Ego on porting rebirth ships and station modules to X4......X modding community is amazing but far behind the official developers (except XRM :P )
spacecoyote99 wrote:Would be nice to get a few different style docking platforms too but it's not too important I suppose. It makes some sense that landing platforms would be standardized.
The big problem is that we will dock on those platforms a lot and we will see the same environment a lot, just think about the docking platforms and stations interiors in XR
It's about the freedom of choice
Racial differencies are as important as piloting different ships, sometimes you would think "mmm now i want to pilot an M0 8) " sometimes "now I want to see this sector" and sometimes "now I want to see a Boron station with everything designed by Borons :P "

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 20:57

Fedora01 wrote:I feel like I can answer 1 & 2 easily enough: It's early access, many of the assets/animations are incomplete or placeholders
Not necessarily. Theres also a good chance that, to cut down on cost, time and manpower, they use common elements for all ships across. Just as there where no race specific turrets or docking hangars in X3 as well as only one set of production station design for argons.

They already said that there will be no boron or split ships - which in my view would have much higher priority compared to race-specific sub elements like turrets and hangars. So i would be very surprised if they'd spend the ressources on small things like this instead of bringing the other races back in. They have to cut corners to achieve what they set out to do - walkable stations, npcs, cockpit interiors, variety of ships with many races. They are not CIG. And this - i predict - will be one corner they cut.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 12:16

Agree with some above, the stations from Rebirth are fantastic and really feel big, interesting, with lots of detail and stuff going on at the surface. (Look closely to find loads of moving parts, things turning, pistons and all sorts of cool bits).

I'm excited to see how the stations develop over the course of this year :)

The other thing I've noticed is the turrets on capital ships seem a bit out of place and look like they are just glued on the outside. I understand the idea behind the modularity of the weapons systems but I hope the artwork will make them look more blended in with the aesthetics of the rest of the ship. I'm talking about things like the big orange circles under the capital guns. Pretty sure it must be artwork placeholder for now though so not too concerned :)

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 14:28

All games these days look pretty. With the advanced graphics rendering we have available, so judging a game based on its looks is pointless, and most AAA developers dont understand this. They try to sell it as the best looking new game and show off its georgeous body, but under all those slim curves is...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IM4vOAiDnr0/ ... /alien.jpg

... the boron DLC.

Lets hope the game play of X4 is better than the AAA trash we have coming out this year.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 17:47

Pretty sure, but Rebirth, for all its faults, had some really nice artistic choices in it. Stations as mentioned looked cool and the systems also had some great scenery with the corona, near-planet, fractured planet, and fogbanks in the DLC areas.

I'd love to see more of that in X4 cos you spend a lot of time flying around and having cool stuff to look at can really set the mood of the game and area.

Danny200
xr

Post by Danny200 » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 13:10

Oh god did anyone else see the horrible character model in the bottom right screen? That's horrendous and I hope it gets fixed... I've seen mobile games with better character design that's a massive turn off for me... especially if I have to see that all the time I talk to someone.... ew

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 15:32

Rebirth looked pretty good, and X4 seems to be an upgrade (visually), so IMO we're getting a little bit into the uncanny valley as far as just how crisp and high-resolution everything is. Hopefully they add some dirt / smudges / discoloration / rust to things, to get out of the uncanny valley; in my opinion everything looks to new / freshly painted. Bright primary colors are ok in my book as long as there's some dirt and rust, at least in the corners.

Dupin

Post by Dupin » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 01:01

On the last stream, it was noticeable that the graphics has been improved. It's better than it was, but I wish it were even better.
What I would like to improve (or change):
1. Range of drawing (so you can see from afar asteroid and asteroid fields, for example);
2. More variable asteroid sizes in asteroid fields;
3. Resolution of textures and shaders;
4. The effects, especially explosions.

Aydan

Post by Aydan » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 16:36

One of the problems always and maybe is still that there is no supervisor, or an experienced producer looking for the different parts glued together. That means you always get a good quality in details, but an odd overall impression for some regions.

The animations are good, the character models are ok. But nobody seems to notice that they act on ships as if they're glued to the ground, ...while the ship is heavily rolling. Even if we'd have artificial gravity, the crew members are not reacting with a side acceleration. *shrug* Design decision? Still early access? Don't know. Also, somebody mentioned the generic turrets. I know that they have to cut costs, but has nobody realised that the (landing) platforms are looking more like something from Rollercoaster Tycoon if you're a bit nearby? Still alpha i guess. But it'd be nice to get a more advanced version later on.

So far for the constructive critics.

Intrestingly, the model of the old SPP is there. Leaves room for speculations if the w2aypoint system from Rebirth is really a step ahead or still based on the same mathematical methods. As ES is always building on the "foundation" of their own work, you'll find a lot of old garbage in the installation files. That's pretty helpful, as you can use old stuff you already know to see how it looks/works in the new environment. From X1 to XAP and Rebirth, it was never invented, but developed. Someone explained in detail why the Rebirth waypoint system was brand new, spline based and whatever else. I'd be interested to see how this looks like in a bit more free environment. Weren't there fixed points for player complexes? Can be wrong, don't know.

For the PR Gag of teleportation... i couldn't see this one coming. Does somebody actually remember the interviews/teasers and news videos for X3:Reunion? Back in the days when X2 was outdated, and the brand new X game was launched they talked about the transportation device.... so you don't have to sit at the wrong end of the universe while sh*t happens somewhere else. You just should get those goggles out... and it'd so cool to hop instantly into action and fly a ship of your choice REMOTELY! Whaaaaat a revolutionary idea. Uh, no wait, that was the drone feature advertised for Rebirth (which was advertised for X3:Reunion also. You know, the upper left monitor, where you could see what the target is doing. Did you know you can steer a ship under your control in X3 by using the upper left monitor? Drones weren't invented in Rebirth, The method was introduced for Reunion. The teleportation...hmmmm... wait.... anyone remembering the "TRANSPORTER" (https://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq ... &version=4)? Not the film, the device sold ingame? Do i hear a faint teleportation somewhere?

Oh, wait... i found the brand new RESEARCH idea also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8OB0kUxno

Now, just for myself, i'll wait and see how the new part will be reviewed. I'm not impressed, as the old Reunion (not Rebirth) trailers are still comparable. If you consider their sheer age, i don't know if the foundation graphic would be better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-k0HjvPvro Foundation may just run better on Windows 10.

ttheobald
x4

Post by ttheobald » Sun, 28. Jan 18, 00:33

Your point about the advertising is well-made. Paranids should have things like temple structures (think "airport prayer room") and Teladi would be well-served by incomprehensible advertising (think "Japanese soft drink ads"). Border stations (owned by one empire while resident in the space of another) would be a great opportunity for humorous mis-translations (see engrish.com) on their adverts...

T

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Mon, 29. Jan 18, 06:56

Looks all great except for the NPC portraits... will those be updated for release?

Return to “X4: Foundations”