THQ Nordic buys Deep Silver, does this mean X4 day one on GOG?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

blotunga
xr

THQ Nordic buys Deep Silver, does this mean X4 day one on GOG?

Post by blotunga » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 10:08

For $121 million dollars (USD) THQ Nordic has purchased Kock Media GmBH, which means THQ Nordic now owns Deep Silver.

www.resetera.com/threads/thq-nordic-acq ... mbh.23205/

I wonder, one can dream :D

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 11:12

I hope Ego is not Harmed in any way with this.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 14:07

Sad to see it wasn't EA.

I was waiting for sweet real money lootboxes to unlock new ships, stations and resources within the game. Was already looking foreward to buying 1 credit ingame with 1 real life dollar.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 14:46

clakclak wrote:Sad to see it wasn't EA.

I was waiting for sweet real money lootboxes to unlock new ships, stations and resources within the game. Was already looking foreward to buying 1 credit ingame with 1 real life dollar.
Hey, at least we would finally get multiplayer.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 15:01

Didn't THQ went insolvent some time ago?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 15:37

Didn't Egosoft self-publish Rebirth? I don't "Mac", but IIRC that was always done out-of-house by Deep Silver or somebody, right?

Even if publishing is intimately tied up, here, Egosoft's "health" shouldn't be effected. A profitable game is a profitable game and a publisher isn't going to turn down such an opportunity if Egosoft needs one.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 15:42

Morkonan wrote:Didn't Egosoft self-publish Rebirth?
Would seem so yeah. Can't really blame DS for not wanting to touch that one though.
Tamina wrote:Didn't THQ went insolvent some time ago?
THQ was part (including the name) brought out by Nordic games. Now we have THQ Nordic.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 15:46

Antilogic wrote: THQ was part (including the name) brought out by Nordic games. Now we have THQ Nordic.
Always thought that was a bit of an odd thing for them to do--you'd think if the THQ name were such a draw it was worth renaming your company to, the original wouldn't have gone bust!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 16:30

This is a funny one. THQ were on the verge of going the way of the Dodo, deep silver stepped in and bought a lot of THQ's ip's and THQ were taking over/merged with Nordic. Move forward several years later and Koch Media is bought up by THQ Nordic, so now all those original IP's once again belong to THQ. Not just that but this very same forum used to be hosted by none other than THQ, as they were the publisher of X Beyond the Frontier. Swings and Roundabouts.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 16:47

felter wrote:Not just that but this very same forum used to be hosted by none other than THQ, as they were the publisher of X Beyond the Frontier. Swings and Roundabouts.
Technically, that was a different forum that just also happened to be about the X series--everyone's account was copied over from the old forum when this one was created, which is why there are so many 6 Nov 2002 join dates among the old-timers.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 18:15

blotunga wrote:THQ Nordic buys Deep Silver, does this mean X4 day one on GOG?
You can buy all X games (except for XR VR) from GOG since February 2016 already. ;) While the release details of X4 aren't finalised yet, there's a good chance that you will be able to buy X4 on GOG one day, too. (Although it may not be day one.) No matter what the situation with any publisher is.
Morkonan wrote:Didn't Egosoft self-publish Rebirth? I don't "Mac", but IIRC that was always done out-of-house by Deep Silver or somebody, right?
Deep Silver published X Rebirth in Europe, while Tri Synergy was responsible for the North American market.
In the past, MAC and Linux ports were created and sold by Virtual Programming Ltd. and Linux Game Publishing (LGP). However, since May 2013 Egosoft distributes own Linux and MAC ports of the X3 games. Subsequently, MAC and Linux ports of X Rebirth were developed by Egosoft directly and are available since March/May 2015 from Steam (via Steam Play) and since 2016 also from GOG.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Wed, 14. Feb 18, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 18:52

pjknibbs wrote:
felter wrote:Not just that but this very same forum used to be hosted by none other than THQ, as they were the publisher of X Beyond the Frontier. Swings and Roundabouts.
Technically, that was a different forum that just also happened to be about the X series--everyone's account was copied over from the old forum when this one was created, which is why there are so many 6 Nov 2002 join dates among the old-timers.
Not everyone's. ;)

Some of us waited patiently for our 'new' accounts as we were told to, but were eventually told to recreate them ourselves.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 19:42

I didn't have much internet access when X-BTF was out, and I was too busy at Uni anyway being an undergrad.

I could have had an account from 2003 when X2 was released, but I didn't even realise there was a forum till X3 came out.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 21:31

I had an original THQ forum account, but took a break between X-Tension and X2. I didn't come back until after the changover and couldn't remember my account info, so I started a new one. It's my biggest regret in life that I'm not one of those '6 Nov 2002' members, too. :(

Not really. :wink: :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 12:47

Regarding the THQ/Koch thing, this doesn't affect us at all. We're developing X4 independently from any publisher (a first for us). It's possible we may work with a publisher later to release a disk-based version of the game, but that's undecided so far.

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 13:00

CBJ wrote:Regarding the THQ/Koch thing, this doesn't affect us at all. We're developing X4 independently from any publisher (a first for us). It's possible we may work with a publisher later to release a disk-based version of the game, but that's undecided so far.
Those are more than good news :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 16. Feb 18, 02:08

Happen to know whose got the stick now? whose in production. That's as good an indication as any of what's apt to happen next.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 10:58

Since CBJ chimed in, it's a we'll see. I hope to see :)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 12:42

CBJ wrote:Regarding the THQ/Koch thing, this doesn't affect us at all. We're developing X4 independently from any publisher (a first for us). It's possible we may work with a publisher later to release a disk-based version of the game, but that's undecided so far.
But how? Isn't that a money problem?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 15:04

clakclak wrote:
But how? Isn't that a money problem?
If they've got enough money to pay for development then there's no problem.

Self-publishing could even bring in higher profits if they can reach the same sales levels and market size. Consider how easy it is, thanks to electronic distribution, to reach large audiences, the profits sacrificed to a publisher for hard-copy distribution would probably be a minimal impact. Certainly, it would only extend their market, since they can't press disks and print boxes, themselves. (Well, they could contract that, but then they'd have to do all the promo, buy the shelf space, distribution, etc... )

Return to “Off Topic English”