Where is Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster with Starman?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 17. Feb 18, 13:01

Insulation again and I'm still willing to wager the LCD screen was a light panel (ie: type used external to ISS) with a clear gel over it. Yes I agree it could be done, my question is did they for a for a PR stunt since simple ballast would give the same results. I don't think so. But with Musk he might just have. Though it's a nice car, the bottom line has to be that has to be to date the WORST idea for a manned space vehicle on record. (Bet you they had solid tires or boom, boom, boom, boom). :roll:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 17. Feb 18, 13:09

We already know that he had some circuit boards redone to say 'made on Earth by Humans', so he obviously modded the car for space. Solid tyres are therefore a given.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 17. Feb 18, 13:15

Thanks I didn't hear that gem. That tosses out some some of my arguments and goes back Musk. The Howard Hughes of our era. Looks like Musk's got his "Spruce Goose" off the ground. (Or in the latter case a bit higher off the water).
MIND THE GAP

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 17. Feb 18, 22:04

I suspended my disbelief for this and enjoyed the view of the red car flying around the galaxy. I bet it can time travel too.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 17. Feb 18, 22:13

Mayhap the good Doctor got the chameleon circuit fixed and was really in the space suit listening to jams on the radio? Now that I'll buy. Sounds like Moffit script to me. Wonder what else besides Bowie SHE was listening to? I'll save that speculation for the music forum.

Tesla and Relative Dimensions in Space? :o
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 04:50

pjknibbs wrote:... Also, there's nowhere in the Solar System that gets close to absolute zero, because there's a rather large fusion reactor nearby sending heat in all directions! :)
That depends on what you mean by "close." Remember what you wrote - There's no means for conduction. It's close to absolute zero on some places on the Moon, for instance. If someplace is in the shade, then something else aside from direct sunlight has to be keeping it above absolute zero. Even on Mercury, some of the temps get within shouting range of "close to absolute zero." Well, at least "pretty darn cold." (-180 C vs -270 C)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 05:20

Past reaching ab0 +/- once per equatorial orbit there's the inverse square law.
Wikipedia wrote: The inverse-square law, in physics, is any physical law stating that a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity. The fundamental cause for this can be understood as geometric dilution corresponding to point-source radiation into three-dimensional space.
Which translates into as far as thermal radiation is concerned much past the asteroid bet what the sun is putting out is mighty darn little. It applies to light as well but with a higher index than the light's ability to produce heat which is separate law. .

Still the void awaits and
there is naught of neither there. :skull:
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 08:16

Morkonan wrote:Even on Mercury, some of the temps get within shouting range of "close to absolute zero." Well, at least "pretty darn cold." (-180 C vs -270 C)
That's not close to absolute zero in my book. Heck, nitrogen isn't even liquid in such balmy conditions! I think the coldest place we detected in the universe was a nebula which was expanding so fast into space that it had cooled to around 1K, but that was light-years away.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 10:01

Even the cosmic background radiation left over from the explosion at the formation of the universe hasn't cooled to absolute zero yet.

If anything does it means the literal beginning of the end of the universe.

No motion, no work/energy, no more entropy, nothing.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 12:14

Sorry. You're right. Here's what I'm thinking of when I read you're posts and trucked into my "Library" in a closet and dug around. "The Bible" 1971 edition "NASA STP" (Standard Test Protocols)
For purposes of engineering testing a standard temperature range of +450/-450 (F) is mandated.
They were pretty insular back then and my calculator is on this thing I'm typing on. Temp (F)-32/1.8=(C). I'm sure that "engineering pad" changed later. They always used to test for and against worse case scenarios and the rule of thumb was "from 0 to fire".
My apologies.
MIND THE GAP

Jabberwok
x4

Post by Jabberwok » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 11:24

A Tesla roadster drifting through space could be a cool easter egg for X4.

pgllrdp
x4

Post by pgllrdp » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 12:00

along the same idea voyager 1 or any space probe would be nice.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 22:54

A towel...

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 22:56

Morkonan says:
A towel...
Always know where your towels at!
MIND THE GAP