[MOD] More Crew on Skunk ver 1.3 Dec 31 2014

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

monze
x4

Post by monze » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 07:36

This is one of the most useful and often used mods to support the game. Thank you :)

denison10

Post by denison10 » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 17:56

1) Removed - "MoreCrew \ index \ components.xml"
2) In the file - "MoreCrew \ assets \ interiors \ rooms \ interiors_rooms_playership_back.xml"

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<diff> 
  <add sel="/components/component[@name='interiors_rooms_playership_back']/connections">
  			<connection name="Connection_npc06" tags="npc stand engineer">
				<offset>
					<position x="-1.649383" y="0.5521278" z="-3.667174"/>
					<quaternion qx="-1.624975E-08" qy="0.9537169" qz="-5.215377E-09" qw="0.3007057"/>
				</offset>
			</connection>
			<connection name="Connection_npc07" tags="npc stand">
				<offset>
				   <position x="0.4454743" y="-0.145945" z="1.677069"/>  
                   <quaternion qx="-1.624975E-08" qy="0.9537169" qz="-5.215377E-09" qw="0.3007057"/>
				</offset>
			</connection>
			<connection name="Connection_npc08" tags="npc stand">
				<offset>
				    <position x="0.521766" y="0.25432" z="-4.12589"/>  
				</offset>
			</connection>
			<connection name="Connection_npc09" tags="npc stand">
				<offset>
				    <position x="-0.8220544" y="0.25432" z="-4.12589"/>   
				</offset>
			</connection>
			<connection name="Connection_npc10" tags="npc sit">
				<offset>
					<position x="-0.976064" y="-2.663374E-03" z="5.25573"/>
				</offset>
			</connection>
			<connection name="Connection_npc11" tags="npc sit">
				<offset>
					<position x="0.201798" y="-2.663374E-03" z="5.00573"/>
					<quaternion qx="8.561076E-09" qy="-0.7071068" qz="-1.382944E-08" qw="-0.7071067"/>
				</offset>
			</connection>
			<connection name="Connection_npc12" tags="npc sit">
				<offset>
					<position x="0.201799" y="-2.663374E-03" z="4.00393"/>
					<quaternion qx="8.561076E-09" qy="-0.7071068" qz="-1.382944E-08" qw="-0.7071067"/>
				</offset>
			</connection>

</add>
</diff> 
prescribed and errors in uidata.xml disappeared.

DeadZone
x4

Post by DeadZone » Fri, 2. Jan 15, 22:27

euclid wrote:Hi DeadZone,

Could it have been engineers? If you select "Work on my ship" then the existing engineer is removed. If you select "Work somewhere else" then the engineer will enter the crew quarters. If there is no more room then you will get a visual/audio message.

Cheers Euclid
IIRC, I did use the 'work on my ship' option, but it isn't just engineers it affects, as the last one was a marine officier
But if I only have to use the other option to avoid this, then no big deal

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 02:30

Hi denison10 and thanks for your input; most appreciated. :-)

So instead of replacing the entire file you do an xml patching. Well, I'v tried that in the very past and got a lot of debug errors. With my version I never had any UI or whatever errors. But then I'm playing offline Steam and do not allow cloud sync because it changes my doc files (only go online when a new patch is up for testing). Maybe this is the problem.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

denison10

Post by denison10 » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 03:17

denison10 this angel618 :) , you asked that I changed ...

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 03:39

@denison10

in this case, as with many macros and all components, it is enough to use
sel="//connections"
since this node is unique in the file ;) there is really no need to write the full path..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 05:10

denison10 wrote:denison10 this angel618 :) , you asked that I changed ...
Nice Angel, appreciated :-)

Not sure why this would prevent crashes but anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

denison10

Post by denison10 » Sun, 4. Jan 15, 00:42

UniTrader wrote:
sel="//connections"
ideally :)

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 17:07

So i was thinking, seeing that i have to fire everyone in order to uninstall it.
The only npc i am interested in, is my marine officer, whom i have since day 1 of my game and is now trained to max.
IF i cap a ship let her on that ship, save, remove the mod, then load the save and tell her to come back onboard, would that work?
I really like her and its the only reason i dont use this mod.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 28. Jan 15, 17:25

yes, that would work. also i wouldnt be so sure if there would be crashes like euclid described - i think either the NPC in the additionally slots simply disappear or they default to some hardly reachable position (didnt try something likt this yet though - just my expierience with other similiar stuff)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Tue, 17. Mar 15, 19:09

Will this new version be posted to the Workshop? Ver 1.22 is there now with only 11 crew max.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 02:41

Hey Jake :-)

The Steam version is a mod of my mod so you need to poke the guy who posted it there. My version is on Nexus (see OP) ;-)

Cheers Euclid

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 14:13

The Nexus version is the only one I have ever used. Can't travel without it :)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 14:56

1.3 update on Steam.

rafezetter
x3

Challenge for S&Mers ... crew quarters now a black void. Mod/save edits gone wrong.

Post by rafezetter » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 07:32

Sorry for the clickbait title but I'm REALLY stuck, and I thought it would get more traffic here than in the "modding" section. (please mods don't move it right away) <Time up! :wink: Alan Phipps.>

Before this post sucks in any wayward readers.... TL:DR need advice on getting into the guts of a save.xml or other files to fix this issue - if that's something might be able to help with... read on, but maybe use the loo and grab a drink first, we may be some time.....

(PS this has got to the point of bloody minded stubborness to see if this really can be pulled back - Euclid did say he was going to try to find a solution for this bug one day..)

I know this issue is with with a known bug with a mod "more crew" (By Euclid.... if you are reading this...HEEELLLP! ) whereby I disabled the mod and removed the <patch extension> save dependency from the save file (intending to put a different one in), without first firing the crew, causing the crew quarters to become a black void... (because I didn't properly read the text, and shows how badly a little knowledge can REALLY bork a save)

So yes, I did this to myself.... on with the show.

I've now got a rather interesting situation whereby I can't enter the crew quarters to talk to my crew (maxed at 15), I've tried 2 different "remote talk to crew from cockpit" mods, and both of them do not show any options to talk to crew when I activate it (just "back" and "close"), but when I try to hire more crew for the skunk, it says I'm maxed out (as I knew I was).

SO.... I can't hire, I can't fire, I can't see them, and I can't talk to them.....

Lovely. I also can't revert to an older save, because in my attempts to cleanse this issue I uninstalled everything and reinstalled mods one at a time - and while "new game" worked just fine and crew quarters were back; when I loaded the last original save I kept, it reverted back to the black void...

As I have the game from GoG I also tried to verify all files (like the file for quarters) hoping it would repair any broken ones, but that didn't do anything.

Which leads me to only one conclusion, somewhere in the save file is the offending code. ***

I had wondered if it was possible to remove all the references to crew, from wherever they are (as if they had been fired), that that would then allow me to remove the "more crew" mod properly and hopefully fix the quarters.

The author - Euclid states: "This mod overwrites the vanilla file interiors_rooms_playership_back.xml" - but I have no idea where that is - I'm assuming it's buried in the .dat files and would something as simple as pulling and inserting that file from a fresh install someplace else fix it?

*** Further investigation shows that Euclid also states "Once the mod is installed the positions of the NPCs in the Skunk's crew quarters will be stored in your saved games" - are those positions easy to find in notepad++? - (I've got some limited experience using that).

Edit.... OK - I did something quite clever... for me...

I started a new freeplay game and hired some crew, and noted the names - then looked in the save file with notepad++ and found one of the crew:

component class="npc" macro="character_ar_male_pilot_macro" connection="commandroomslot" name="Ban Gilharno" owner="player" page="10107" id="[0x22a6]">

So the next question is "how much of the lines of code that follows is part of each hired crew, that I need to delete from my original save?"

Edit: .... I think I found them - properly - I think the ones that are crew aboard the skunk are the ones with position and rotation co-ordinates....

tested.... I swapped the coordinate entries for two of them in the new game save and... they swapped places in the crew quarters. *can I get a high five?*...... (the *3 hours later* version of me says "not so fast buddy").

And now I understand that notepad++ is highlighting the beginning and end of the relevent <component> & </component> sections for each crewmember.

Ok I've removed all of the <components> that were "NPC", owner="player", and had "position" and "rotation" entries. --- lets see what happens...

HMM... still black void, but worse, tried to hire crew - to see if I had indeed cleared out the space and "ship has no more room for passengers"

So deleting those entries seemingly did nothing.

You might be wondering why I didn't simply look for "connection_npc02 /3 /4" references in my original game save as listed in the "more crew" mods "Interiors_rooms_playership_back.xml" - and I would have, if it was in my original save, (curiously though they are in the NEW GAME save.... thoughts?) but whatever I did removed those lines, but left the rest of the code..... *lightbulb* can I match up the connection numbers to the position co-ordinates from the playership_back.xml and reinstate the connections?

That's a big fat NOPE. The position co-ordinates don't even match between the positions as set out in the mod and the positions of what I know are crew in the save file (going back over a backup of the same file I just deleted a load of stuff from). Why not? Ask Euclid.

So as well as removing all the "Class=npc" <components> that had position entries, there must be other references that need removal or editing.

But what??

Can I assume all the <connection="npcconnection"> entries without <position / rotation> code are the crews of my other ships?

(three hours and counting.... by now you might be wondering why I'm still writing.... well my teachers always told me to show my workings, just in case this whole thing goes fubar, and doesn't work or I missed something simple that WILL make it work after doing this....)

I need sleep - if anyone who read all that has any ideas, (other than "start again dude") I'd appreciate it.

Euclid did say at some point he was going to try to tackle this issue - so maybe we can get a head start.

Thanks for reading, choose any soft toy from the middle shelf.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 15:10

Hi rafezetter,

I'm sorry you got problems with this mod.

This is not a bug

As you wrote correctly this black void is due to remove the mod without dismiss the crew before (see the Warning part of the mod description).

However, there is a simple fix provided you still have the original saved game:
  • 1# Enable the mod (again)
    2# Load your saved game (the void should be gone now)
    3# Dismiss your crew (see Warning part of the mod description)
    4# Save the game
    5# Disable the mod
    6# Load your saved game
Hope this helps.

Cheers Euclid

rafezetter
x3

Post by rafezetter » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 19:06

Hi Euclid

Wasn't sure if you'd see this thread, but ty for the reply.

But um...

When you say "original saved game" you mean the save file or the entire folder? I have the save file, but the game folder is long gone, uninstalled and reinstalled.

If it's just the save file - I've already tried to re-enable the mod, the void is still there....

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 20:42

I mean that saved game which still has the More Crew mod installed, i.e. the latest saved game before you removed the mod. This saved game should work with the mod enabled.

I'm not sure what you mean by "entire folder". Once you have started the game for the first time (even after re-installing the game), it will create a corresponding folder in you document folder. The saved game folder is part of it.

Even if you have removed and the re-installed everything, the above described saved game should work (just move it into the saved game folder) because it contains all information of the state of your game. However, if you have tempered with that saved game in any way then you may run into problems. In this case try another, clean (i.e. non edited) saved game.

Cheers Euclid

rafezetter
x3

Post by rafezetter » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 23:55

Hi Euclid

(CAPS for emphasis not shouting)

Well in the new save I created I did just as you said - but ran into some issues?

Even with the mod enabled (NEW SAVE NEW GAME) it only let me hire 5 crew, secondly, after properly firing the crew, going into the launcher and disabling the mod and trying to reload the same save - it won't - it's greyed out stating "more crew" requirement.

I've gone into the savefile and removed the "extensions patch" line for more crew, removed the more crew mod folder.... and it STILL wants the mod to load that save.

what am I missing?

I'm going to re-enable the mod. hire max crew, then create a new save. fire them, disengage the mod, remove the mod folder, and see if it will load.
if not I'll check the save file for any dependency, and remove that too if necessary and see if that makes any difference.

Right now I'm just trying to see if the mod will disengage just as you say it will.

Edit Ok this isn't making any sense - NEW GAME, (CAMPAIGN) NEW SAVE - I can only hire 5 crew.

Ok - I've saved, alt-f4 and restarted - fired the crew and saved.

restarted and hired more crew - STILL ONLY FIVE.

on top of that - fired again, saved, alt-f4 - restarted, disabled the mod exited game to desktop, restarted and...... the game wants "more crew" mod to load that save.

I'm sorry but your advice of :

1# Enable the mod (again)
2# Load your saved game (the void should be gone now)
3# Dismiss your crew (see Warning part of the mod description)
4# Save the game
5# Disable the mod
6# Load your saved game

plainly doesn't work.

There's obviously more going on.

I might have no choice now but to abandon my original save - or try to hack a new save to get the stuff I had (or some of it) back.

------------- IMPORTANT NOTE -------------

I have just made a clean install of the game - used a reg cleaner program to remove any unwanted residuals of the previous install, installed just the 2 DLC's, MORE CREW and NOTHING ELSE.

MORE CREW is the only mod added.

fresh campaign start.

just collected yisha - saved game.

hacked some money.

restart the game and that save - started to hire crew - WILL NOT LET ME HIRE ANY MORE THAN 5 CREW.

yes I hired several types.

Edit - on a hunch, I DL a fresh version of more crew from Nexus - I had been using the other unpacked version from my extensions folder from my original game and had thought that the borked version had somehow written something to an existing file and that was what was screwing it up.

IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE.

it still won't let me hire more than 5

So Euclid, either "more crew" has a dependency you haven't mentioned, or something about the crew system is locked at the start of the game, or, there's yet another issue going on. (authors note - correct old chum, see below)

------------------- SECOND, *MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE LAST*, "IMPORTANT NOTE" NOTE--------------

I found the goddamn problem why the mod wasn't working AND the mystery of why it was working before. (not the void issue that's something else altogether)

It's all about semantics, and accuracy of instruction.

When I extracted the folder I used "Extract TO" - which created a new folder "morecrew-319-1-3" - with a "morecrew" SUB FOLDER inside. When this folder is added to the "extensions" folder - the mod doesn't work.

when the mod is loaded with NMM - it works.

The difference? NMM uses "Extract HERE" - which creates only a "morecrew" folder with the assets files inside.

I've now realised that X-Rebirth doesn't look in subfolders unless that subfolder is already part of the games structure - if all asset files, particularly "content.xml" are in a SUBFOLDER then the game will see the folder and consider it a dependency for the save, but crucially the mod itself, won't work.

Of course, you know all this - I didn't.

It's taken me SIX FFing HOURS to learn this small but crucial point, and I've not even got to the "fixing the black void" problem. (on the plus side I totally know how to do a limited hack of a save now)

I know the mod is old, and the game is old, but with it still appearing on sale now and again (and Home of Light DLC only 3 months old) - and possibly because of the upcoming X4 - I would respectfully ask that you change your wording regarding the installation instructions to make sure you specify that if the user chooses not to use NMM and do it manually, that they are directed to the "extensions" folder (or create it) then use "EXTRACT HERE" and ensure they don't extract the mod files inside a subfolder.

I ask this as your mod appears on PAGE 1 of Nexus mods for X R - if sorted by "endorsements (10th)" OR "most downloads (14th)" - which is how I found it.

NB: You might be wondering (again) why I didn't just delete this entire post once I'd worked out the issue, but I'd like you to see how one small change like trying to install the file manually direct to "extensions" (as you specified btw) instead of using the NMM can have this consequence. I know I'm sounding harsh, but personally I think this situation has arisen as one of those where you've assumed a certain level of knowledge by the user - when it's entirely possible the end user is an idiot, and not giving the EXACT instructions as though the user has no prior experience of modding, can lead to problems.

I say this in the belief that should you do any mods for X4 (if they allow it) - it would be good to keep in this mind. (and any other modder that read this.

The black void has yet to be fixed - so don't lock the thread just yet :)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 14:30

Well, I'm glad you've fixed your problem which, after all, was a quite individual one (the other 12k+ users of this mod seem not have any problems).

However, I've tried to reproduce the void bug but failed. After disabling the MoreCrew mod and loading the saved game, the additional NPCs just did not show in the crew quarters and the debuglog shows:

Code: Select all

[=ERROR=] 1422212.03 Unable to match macro connection name '' or template connection name 'connection_npc12' for object 'interiors_rooms_playership_back' [0x23ad]. Skipping connected component.
[General] 1422212.03 ======================================
[=ERROR=] 1422212.03 Unable to match macro connection name '' or template connection name 'connection_npc10' for object 'interiors_rooms_playership_back' [0x23ad]. Skipping connected component.
[=ERROR=] 1422212.03 Unable to match macro connection name '' or template connection name 'connection_npc16' for object 'interiors_rooms_playership_back' [0x23ad]. Skipping connected component.
[=ERROR=] 1422212.03 Unable to match macro connection name '' or template connection name 'connection_npc09' for object 'interiors_rooms_playership_back' [0x23ad]. Skipping connected component.
[=ERROR=] 1422212.03 Unable to match macro connection name '' or template connection name 'connection_npc08' for object 'interiors_rooms_playership_back' [0x23ad]. Skipping connected component.
Thus I suspect that the black void error you have encountered is due to a different problem.

Cheers Euclid

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”