How long is the minimum time..

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 12:49

felter agrees with you, so maybe I should try again with Amazon. Try and get a refund, nine months is just not good enough...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 14:30

Bishop149 wrote:I have a Razer Mamba and I bloody love the thing, but it's at least 8 years old and frankly is starting to show its age and develop intermittent issues, I've already replaced the cable and the battery. At the time I bought it it was something of a treat being bloody expensive at over £100.

I keep thinking of getting a new one but the latest model is:
a) still bloody expensive, despite presenting no real improvements in technology over my decade old model.
b) A slightly different shape / design, which I'm worried I won't like as much.

In the spirit of the thread what do we think? £80-100 for something proven to last nearly 10 years. I should probably stump up shouldn't I.

All of my GF and my peripherals are Razer ones, and i find it to be like the "Apple" of peripherals.

They are expensive, yes, they work well, yes too, and on top of that the consumer support, atleast here on Spain, is fantastic.

Everytime i had a problem with any of the mouse, keyboard, or Headphones i just need to contact support, send a couple pics, and in a matter of a couple days i get a replacement at home, or a voucher for the price of the damaged one to buy whatever i want on their store.

Also, i still have for example the first Copperhead mouse they did, and its still working great, so i think it depends in being lucky and getting the good ones.

At my work, we use logitech B110 mouses, they are cheap as hell but last a long time with a lot of use, bad point is that they only have two buttons and a wheel.

I would recomend you to try other brands, till you find the one that suits you.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 16:06

pjknibbs wrote:Well, you could always get the £145 one on Amazon that greypanther points out! Have to assume those are very popular mice indeed if they can sell them for that sort of money--they'd only have been about £40-50 back in the day, wouldn't they?
I'm not sure I love it quite that much, but maybe when it kicks the bucket if I hate the replacement I'll stump up. I don't recall exactly what I paid for it but it was about that, yes - certainly no more. They're good mice, Brent.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 18:43

red assassin wrote:...They're good mice, Brent.
iunderstoodthatreference.gif

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 23:58

Well, I got the Logitech G402 delivered today, first impressions are good, but it will take a little getting used to I guess. It all seems very solidly built though, but I wonder if I will be better using the Microsoft one for surfing etc, or maybe not, I will see.

That is the odd thing too, the Microsoft mouse seemed to be working fine again yesterday, which is odd... I mean wtf is going on there? :gruebel:
Last edited by greypanther on Sun, 18. Mar 18, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 00:34

I've always went with similar line of thought to Paul Knibbs, buy decent and expect it to last for years, well I'm onto my 2nd Logitech G602, 1st one side button plastic broke and this one has a dodgy tactile switch on the middle mouse button which seeing as I'm almost certainly out of warranty means suck it up or solder new tactile in. neither option fills me with joy,

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 12:37

"That is the odd thing too, the Microsoft mouse seemed to be working fine again yesterday, which is odd... I mean wtf is going on there?"

You called its bluff, ignored its tantrums and did what you threatened to do and replaced it. Now its trying to suck up to you again.
:lol:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 12:41

Alan Phipps wrote:"That is the odd thing too, the Microsoft mouse seemed to be working fine again yesterday, which is odd... I mean wtf is going on there?"

You called its bluff, ignored its tantrums and did what you threatened to do and replaced it. Now its trying to suck up to you again. :lol:
It's trying to convince you that it's still relevant, just like Windows.

Or, someone mousehacked your non-Bluetooth mouse dongle...

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 13:47

Alan Phipps wrote:You called its bluff, ignored its tantrums and did what you threatened to do and replaced it. Now its trying to suck up to you again.
Thats exactly what happened with my laptop battery. It wouldn't hold a charge for weeks, then two hours after I looked up a replacement on Ebay, lo and behold, it was fine...

... Mind you, I only use my laptop two or three times a year and it is ten years old now...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 14:06

Golden_Gonads wrote:...... Mind you, I only use my laptop two or three times a year and it is ten years old now...
I've got an HP like that. It's old and worked fine, up until the Windows 10 "push" which perma-borked it, even though I kept saying "No."

A clear case of "No Means No," but Microsoft didn't listen. I feel so used... must shower, now.

(Old laptop and battery would still work if I spent the time to replace the drives... Probably should do that, someday. Install Linux... freedom.gif)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 21:45

Avis wrote:I've always went with similar line of thought to Paul Knibbs, buy decent and expect it to last for years, well I'm onto my 2nd Logitech G602, 1st one side button plastic broke and this one has a dodgy tactile switch on the middle mouse button which seeing as I'm almost certainly out of warranty means suck it up or solder new tactile in. neither option fills me with joy,
Now you see, that asks the next question fro me: What is a reasonable price for a PC mouse? I did look at the 602, but at £70 thought it was to much, never mind me not wanting a wireless mouse. Some of the prices are just silly in my opinion...

@Alan: Glad to see I am not the only one who tends to anthropomorphize too much! :D Maybe it is to do with being a cats slave... :roll:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 23:11

greypanther wrote: Now you see, that asks the next question fro me: What is a reasonable price for a PC mouse?
I think the £30-£50 range is about right. Not silly money, but you ought to be able to get something with a bit of quality to it in that price range.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 23:55

In 2011 I bought a Sharkoon Fire Glider optical gaming mouse (wired) that has several programmable buttons and adjustable weight for just over £23. It is the best mouse I have ever had in terms of comfort, accuracy, response and customisation. It is still going strong and performs as if new despite heavy gaming use and has even survived abuse by my 2 yr old granddaughter (and the cat)!

Unfortunately that Sharkoon model doesn't seem to be available to buy any more.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 03:23

Build a better mouse and somebody comes up with a better mousetrap.
Make something idiot proof.. Somebody comes up with a newer idiot.

I've had both cheap and expensive mice... one to two years is all they last..

buy what works for you and what you are willing to pay.
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 05:07

I had to check amazon to see when I bought my mouse,
a Razer Naga Hex,
it was 2012
It's still going strong.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 08:20

Retiredman wrote: I've had both cheap and expensive mice... one to two years is all they last..
I suspect the common factor there is you, then, because I've never had a mouse that's only lasted a year or two. :wink:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 19. Mar 18, 11:16

Hank001's tips for the care and feeding of mice.

The first thing that kills mice (the electronic pointing type)
is the pads on the base of the mouse wearing down. I have long since found a few things to do as soon as the mouse comes out of the box. I prize off those four factory pads and replace them with four plastic feet that are of all things faux ivory made for luthiers (guitar makers) to use as frets. If you look around you can find 100 little things you can use to replace those factory pads with.

If you as I do and buy bundled wireless mouse/keyboard then get good at knowing how to open up the keyboard. One of the keys will jam persistantly (varies by made, but usually the same key. My Logitec it's the left shift). I swap it's mechinism with a little used keys guts (I use the home and end keys in that 6 key group I never use).
Plus I take the keyboard apart out of the box, spray a thin coat of a circuit board protctant on the keys so my typing doesn't ware off the printing on the keys. Next keep your old junk for parts.

I know this sounds Duh, but those wireless USB wireless fobs build up heat. I learned to put them on USB extention and keep them away from the case becase a good bit of case heat blows out of face or rear USB ports.

As for live mice? Stay away from pet store food. They thrive on cheap grain cereal mixes and give them goldfish crackers as treats.

Edit: My new Logitc 3D Extreme Joystick just hung me in a constant spin today. So I took it apart. Inside it was a joke, and not a ha-ha funny type of joke.

So I had an old one that fritzed a circuit in 2010 and opened it up.
Total difference. I put tye cuircuit board from the new one into the old one (Had to drill new mount holes as they too were different.)
So I used the new one to fix the old. But GOD! That new one was built so cheap it's a wonder it lasted a week playing X3!
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”