Bladerunner 2049

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 00:50

Golden_Gonads wrote:I've... Not seen the original. I saw a few bits of it back in the day, but the VHS copy I got of it was so dark and grainy it was unwatchable. I did look into getting the DVD, but with 900 different versions available (And 1,800 opinions as to which to watch) I threw my hands up in disgust.
I’ll make this easy for you. While the final cut is good, the only version with Deckers narrative is the theatrical version. Not having the narrative is horrid and detrimental to the story. So watch theatrical first, and then final cut if you liked it enough to explore the other versions.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 20:48

Watched it, thought it was great. Got a bit worried that there was going to be a sex scene in it, but luckily there wasn't.
Hint at it, yes, but don't show it.

Had there been I would have been very disappointed indeed. You don't need sex scenes to make a good movie. The first Blade Runner demonstrated that.

On that note the bridge scene at the end was a bit odd. I get what they were doing, but they didn't need to do it with a completely naked woman, she wasn't naked anywhere else in the film.

That scene would have had more impact if it had been done without the nudity. If she'd been wearing the dress from the balcony scene for instance. That would have had some emotional punch.

Not being prudish, just saying there are more ways to tell a story than with naked ladies crawling about. But I suppose we're still in a Game of Thrones influenced world.

But just as I thought I would I really enjoyed the film. I want to watch it again. But I need a weekend free to watch both movies.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 21:08

mrbadger wrote:On that note the bridge scene at the end was a bit odd. I get what they were doing, but they didn't need to do it with a completely naked woman, she wasn't naked anywhere else in the film.
Its not the same "woman" that was the main point, it was a "copy" portrayed as a cheap version, a prostitution app so to speak. I thought that it was quite perfect and the nudity made the point of not being her come across better I think.

I agree on the not needed sex scenes, they are mostly out of place (only one that makes sense that I recall is in The Devil's Advocate, there might be more I cant think of right now). They went just far enough to make the point and interesting for the character development later on.

I still have to watch it again too though. :-)

MFG

Ketraar

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 5. Feb 18, 15:05

Watched the film a couple of weeks back and quite enjoyed it. So enough about the film, how about Deckard's binoculars pretty cool weren't they, well Adam Savage has done a 1 day build to recreate them. Damn he is good, plus he has some nice tools to play around with.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 21:51

Just got my bluray from Amazon yesterday (just released in UK),
was expecting good atmospheric story, with original continuation - from reading this thread.

But...
what a load of slow & filler content, no atmosphere except copied rain & dark buildings like the original,
can't see much/any merit in this sequel,
just a load of obvious things to carry over & a tacked on silly story-line.

After all this time & with such a great franchise
I thought maybe this'd be a wonderful opportunity for a well thought out story.

Really disappointed, what a waste of £25.

Maybe it's good in 3D ?

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:05

exo, chuck it in the post to me, I'll give you a tenner for it :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:09

exogenesis wrote:Just got my bluray from Amazon yesterday (just released in UK),
was expecting good atmospheric story, with original continuation - from reading this thread.

But...
what a load of slow & filler content, no atmosphere except copied rain & dark buildings like the original,

After all this time & with such a great franchise
I thought maybe this'd be a wonderful opportunity for a well thought out story.

Really disappointed, what a waste of £25.

Maybe it's good in 3D ?
£25! Saw it for only £18 in Sainsburys today...

Got to agree with you though, a decent film but left me feeling disappointed.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 14:34

Watched it at the weekend - far too long. Tied up a few ends from the first film. But guessed the ending.
A flower?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 15:05

exogenesis wrote:
But...
It is a bit too slow in places yes, I thought that myself. The copying from the original was deliberate. They were trying to show what that world would be like in its future, so much of it would be the same, similar the the way much of ours is the same.

Bladerunner established the use of rain as a thing to set tone. Did they do it as well in this movie? Not so much, but they tried.

This movie just wasn't as fundamentally dark and opperssive as the original. Maybe it couldn't have been. It could be that if they'd taken that route it wouldn't have done even as well as it did.

Remember that the original Bladerunner was a flop initially as well. People hated it.

First time I saw it was on video, not in the cinema and I loved it. I don't even recall it being released in my town on the big screen.

Heck, at least it's not a superhero movie. Oh man am I sick of those now.

What's next, a movie about a vegan chicken sjw in a cape that takes down KFC?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 15:26

I hear similar trend for Anihilation, another "cerebral" sci-fi movie that is struggling at the box office. In this case I cant even go watch it in cinema as its said it wont have a theatrical release outside of the US and should be available on Netflix.
Heck, at least it's not a superhero movie. Oh man am I sick of those now.
Well according to Black Panther's performance, you and me are alone in this. :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 28. Feb 18, 17:06

They're already having to become more complicated to engage viewers.

It won't be long before they'll outstrip the complexity the parent genre can bear, burn out and be replaced by the next trending thing.

This will also probably be good to start with then get done to death, but there might be some good films to start with. I enjoyed Iron Man and Captain America. My interest ended with The Avengers. That was a great film, and it would have been a great place to stop.

Recently only Deadpool has got my interest, but I think they'll probably do that to death as well.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 22. Mar 18, 00:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMA75tqwFQQ

Not much on 2077 but it's generally interesting to watch and there's a smidgen of a hint or two towards the end.

EDIT: Arse I got the date wrong, and double arse I posted in the wrong thread :-/.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”