Far Cry 5.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Far Cry 5.

Post by greypanther » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 22:10

Am I the only one really looking forward to this game?

There the obvious trailers easily found on Steam, but they even have live action trailers, which I am not sure about, odd...

The Baptism Live Action Trailer.

It is followed by other regular game trailers.
Think this is one of those that will be bought on the day of release. :D
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 22:41

<--- Has never played any of the "Far Cry" games.

I've seen them, of course, and have mucked with the Farcry engine (spaghetti soup with rocks in it), but have never played the games. I was just never a fan of the various themes/premises. It's wildly popular.

I'm also not a fan of the GTA series, but I have played the first one. (Or, maybe the second, not sure.) I love open-world games and don't mind combat and such, but I'm not particularly a fan of some sorts of action/combat games, especially ones that deal with illegal stuff and violence for its own sake. Taking out drug lords by finding inventive ways to get the game to show more blood, gore and stabby-stabby-eyeballs isn't my idea of "fun." But, put me on a medieval battlefield with "Right" fighting against "Might" and I'm your "Knight!"

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 22:50

Each to their own I guess. :)

I have found the first three just scratched that itch, which I am hoping this will too and will give me many hours of distraction. :)

However I have just logged into my old Ubisoft account. I can see a potential problem: Ubisoft.

We shall see.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 23:32

Free roam? Check.
Doggo companion? Check.
Getting to shoot up religious wacko cultist types? Check.

Sign me up! :D

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 01:57

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this. Enjoyed the last couple of Far Cry games, and apparently this one has co-op for the proper campaign/story mode, which should be amazing.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 13:53

I always liked the live action trailers, but since Far Cry 3 I don't really want to play another one. It was fun, but I had enough of it.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 14:04

Played all the Far Cry games apart from Primal*. 4 kind of bored me, though--not only was it near enough identical to 3 but in a mountain environment rather than an island, but I just didn't understand why the character I was playing didn't high-tail it out of there and head back to America rather than meekly doing whatever the rebels asked him to do. At least the character from 3 had a clear objective (rescue his friends and escape the island), although for that reason I never understood why the "alternate" ending existed.

What I want to see from 5 is for it to have identifiable motivations for the main character and enough differences from previous games to make it enjoyable.

* I never played Primal because I absolutely hated the old-time side missions in Far Cry 4 where you had a bow and a pet instead of guns, and as far as I could see Primal was just more of that.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 15:31

pjknibbs wrote:Played all the Far Cry games apart from Primal*. 4 kind of bored me, though--not only was it near enough identical to 3 but in a mountain environment rather than an island, but I just didn't understand why the character I was playing didn't high-tail it out of there and head back to America rather than meekly doing whatever the rebels asked him to do. At least the character from 3 had a clear objective (rescue his friends and escape the island), although for that reason I never understood why the "alternate" ending existed.
You know about the alternate ending in FC4 which makes far more sense, right?

Likewise I skipped Primal. I actually only played Blood Dragon a few months ago, but it's one of my favourites now.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 15:41

pjknibbs wrote:[...]although for that reason I never understood why the "alternate" ending existed.[...]
Oh I know why it did exist. Citra at least didn't cry the entire time. "Eh we have been kidnapped, ah they killed our friend, ahe they tried to burn me alive." Get over yourself, Jason the main character went through the same stuff and do you see him cry? No, because he is already dead inside and has spend most the time he tried to rescue you by mindlessly and methodically slaughtering anything and everything that crosseds his parth, even if it wasn't necessery at all or didn't pose any threat to him. Honestly by the end of the game you as the player are probably the biggest psychopath on the entire island so the alternative ending seems a lot more fitting if you ask me.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 16:01

Played the original and about half-way through the 2nd before I got bored. Never attempted the others although my son highly recommended them.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 21:28

red assassin wrote: You know about the alternate ending in FC4 which makes far more sense, right?

Likewise I skipped Primal. I actually only played Blood Dragon a few months ago, but it's one of my favourites now.
You mean, the one where you actually don't play the game at all? Yes, it makes far more sense plot-wise, but maybe not so much from the point of view of actually wanting to play the game...

Played Blood Dragon. It was OK and I liked the way it never took itself seriously. Didn't like the way everything was so ruddy dark with neon highlights, though!

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 23:24

Yeah, it was the jarring visuals that put me off Blood Dragon for so long, but once I got used to them it was amazing.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 12:13

I'm in love Far Cry i started at number 2
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 12:28

Getting the coopness out for this one.

Fairly hyped.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 00:01

So, not very long to go now and I find myself wondering how to buy it. Combining the Ubisoft with the Steam account just sounds like a headache from start to finish, so will probably just buy it from Ubisoft, to try to avoid some pain...

Not sure what to do about the Season Pass either, the content looks interesting, just not sure how I feel about selling extra content with the base game, seems very greedy. :roll:

A question for you x boxers out there: Why do you have to spend money to gain the privilege of playing online with your x box? ( Not me, but my son and something new to me! )

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 08:11

I've seen online that the game has an "avoid the game" ending just like FC4 did:
Spoiler
Show
At the beginning you're asked to put handcuffs on the leader of the religious cult. If you simply don't do that, after a few minutes you and the others just leave and the credits roll!

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 11:27

greypanther wrote:A question for you x boxers out there: Why do you have to spend money to gain the privilege of playing online with your x box? ( Not me, but my son and something new to me! )
Ridiculous, isn't it? Even worse, you have to pay for Xbox Gold to use any streaming services such as Netflix. Really does my head in.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 17:26

Beyond ridiculous to be honest, but I guess whilst people put up with it and accept it, nothing will change. It wouldn't bother me because I am very anti social and do not multiplay anything. ( The bloody annoying teens have seen to that! ) However it is a major thing for my son, who is now wishing he had got a PS4 instead! Though I bet you have to pay a subscription for that too!

Thing is though as I have now bought Far Cry Gold edition and already payed for the DLC, I might just give it another whirl... The game is downloading now, with 29 mins left, which means a total download of 45 mins or so, which is just astounding to me, considering last time I downloaded a large game like this, it took something like 18 hours! ( Or more, I cannot properly remember. )

@pjknibbs: I never played four, stopped at three, so I have no idea what you are referring to. However it would not matter, most reviews so far seem very positive. I will tell you in a while! :D

Edit: Well, I was wrong, 45 minutes till it was playable, about twice that to complete the download, still I will take that! :)

I have just played the tutorial and I am impressed. I played it on easy, to give me a chance to tweak things and get back in the Fallout groove. Not sure why I bothered though, it is very easy!

First impressions only, but I would say it is pretty much typical Farcry, about what I expected. I still need to explore more and get a proper feel for things, but it all looks promising, I shall see.

You do indeed have to arrest the main bad guy at the beginning, or as pjk says, it game over! Odd way to start, but he and then you soon escape into a hectic and frenetic start.

Only one problem so far, I cannot seem to play it offline, even though you can do so according to Ubisoft. I seem to remember this being a problem with them in the past sometimes. I will look into it, before my son gets the game, because it does not bode well for an xbox without a microsoft live account, or whatever the hell the rip off is called.

So far so good, great visuals and the game feels like coming home, almost... :)

Return to “Off Topic English”