No Man's Sky Next.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StoneLegionYT
x4

No Man's Sky Next.

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 30. Mar 18, 14:53

So it seems that NMS finally getting it's next big update the biggest one yet. They are also releasing on Xbox and WeGame.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/03/no-mans-sky-next/

I'm having a feeling full fleshed MP will be in the update they had started in the last update sort of seeing others via glowing orbs I think Fable had that in one their games the past?

Be Interesting what else might be coming.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 31. Mar 18, 20:00

I hope they've done some work on the game engine.
Draw distance needs to be sorted.
Rock formation physics needs a better culling system, stalactites left floating in mid air, for example.
The sky box is poor to non-existent.
The vehicle re-entry pathing, could be a S-curve, rather than a straight line through the atmosphere.
Joystick support I hope.

It will be interesting to see what the players get.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 11:43

NEXT update arrived.

All upgrades removed.
The Creatures I had already discovered on my current planet are still listed, but ignored, so the list contains six creatures, but the counter says 4 of 5.
The online discoveries network keeps dropping out.
I can not find my base system, all the names have changed.
I can not use my jump drives, as I can not find the required elements, so I am stuck in my current system, for the foreseeable future.

All in all, a bit of a shock to the previous game play.

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 12:24

Terre wrote:NEXT update arrived.

All upgrades removed.
The Creatures I had already discovered on my current planet are still listed, but ignored, so the list contains six creatures, but the counter says 4 of 5.
The online discoveries network keeps dropping out.
I can not find my base system, all the names have changed.
I can not use my jump drives, as I can not find the required elements, so I am stuck in my current system, for the foreseeable future.

All in all, a bit of a shock to the previous game play.
Played yesterday a bit.

I have totally lost my home base, the teleport doesnt even work.

All the tech i had is lost too, now i have to buy again with nanites all the tech blueprints and discover them.

A crap ton of new materials and combinations, and you need to craft some machines in order to do some materials, like processing and refining ores.

The multiplayer part, seems like you will still see other players as orbs, and only see as full characters the people you have in friends and such.

they added a very nice galaxy map online where you can see planets added by people with their bases and more data check it here Galactic Atlas

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 14:12

A new update, especially a large one, is always perfect to start a new save. =)

Was fun being thrown into a toxic/radiated planet and being at 20% shielding right after loading into the game ... WHERE IS MY SODIUM?

But well, still fun.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 14:36

silenced wrote:A new update, especially a large one, is always perfect to start a new save. =)

Was fun being thrown into a toxic/radiated planet and being at 20% shielding right after loading into the game ... WHERE IS MY SODIUM?

But well, still fun.
with almost the whole inventory unlocked, a ship with more than 40 slots of space and
Spoiler
Show
"ending" the plot more than once
, i dont find it appealing.

Just "repairing" the next slot of my ship takes 2.8 million credits :evil:

I just hope i can get back all the items i had on my base when i build a new one, i have all the vehicles and 3 or 4 vaults full of items.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 19:21

Lost my character when I realised all to late that my Alien Blaster, which used to be a one shot killing machine, struggled to take down an ordinary sentinel, I couldn't get back to my craft in time.
Effectively the game has given the player all their weapons and craft, but with starting weapon and craft values, namely tissue paper and a fly swat.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 20:10

Players have seemed to be generally receptive to the new developments in the game.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 21:08

Morkonan wrote:Players have seemed to be generally receptive to the new developments in the game.
Yes, the challenges have certainly been up'd. If I can get out of my current system and start exploring again I'll be happy.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 21:13

Played the game a bit a few months ago, didn't keep my interest so I stopped. I was keen to come back when NEXT is out. But I went to the forum a bit and people are upping in arm, with some claim that almost 3/4 of progress are wiped in term of the stuffs they grinned for (tech/ship). To some this is amount to hundred or even thousand of hours.

Techinically this doesn't effect me since I would start with a fresh save, but after reading all this I don't even know I should, since there will be no telling if future update gonna reset things again. Worse, according to those who had been playing it seems every big update does something like that.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 22:34

You know after years of the userbase complaining to the NS devs that the game was effectively still in Alpha, it now seems as though the devs are treating it that way too. Hence perhaps they don't really see the need to maintain prior release version save compatibility. I really cannot believe that this aspect remained untested and unknown before update release.

Just my casual impression from the outside looking in though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 16:33

I agree on save-compatibility issues, up to a point. But, the devs humped a football with this game on release... They promised, literally, a galaxy of groundbreaking play and they delivered a hot mess of "this isn't the game you were looking for." The prefaced this with a marketing campaign that could have come straight out of Molyneux's closet, complete with the subtitle "This game cures cancer."

They delivered a galaxy-wide offering of "not content" and certainly not what was printed on the box.

OK, not rehashing that whole line of thought, just setting the stage to demonstrate the lengths they went to make things "bad." So, with all that in consideration, it appears that they are not just taking the money and running, but are actually trying to fix things and/or act as good stewards of their IP...

Remarkable.

With that in mind, and considering the depths that they have to go in order to actually produce something similar to what they proclaimed they were going to release, shouldn't fans and players expect really deep patches and changes that will break saved games?

I haven't played the game, but I'm willing that, judging by some of what I have read, there's a lot effort put into acquiring things. And, judging by some infamous events in the multiplayer community, it ain't easy amassing a great deal of stuffs and achievements in the game.

But, if they are really determined to do right by the game, fix problems, add the content that should have been in the game on release, shouldn't every player be expecting patches that require a restart? It's not like they're wiping EVE servers with them. How difficult or how many hours does it really take to reach certain levels of progress?

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 17:46

Played a bit with a friend, looks proper good so far.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 17:54

Alan Phipps wrote:You know after years of the userbase complaining to the NS devs that the game was effectively still in Alpha, it now seems as though the devs are treating it that way too. Hence perhaps they don't really see the need to maintain prior release version save compatibility. I really cannot believe that this aspect remained untested and unknown before update release.
This is fairly normal for Paradox games--new Stellaris patches often break savegame compatibility due to the scale of the changes involved. I suspect the only reason people are complaining about it in the case of No Man's Sky is because of the shitshow that was the game's release--if it had been good to start with I doubt anyone would be worried.

Anyway, I remember watching a couple of videos of people playing No Man's Sky when it first launched, and I remember thinking there was the germ of something good there. If the devs have finally managed to coax that germ into a flower then more power to them--I might even give it a try myself!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 19:07

Fair enough but surely the devs knew and so should have warned users that a restart would be needed in the update announcement and changelog? (Maybe they did but many users failed to notice.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 19:15

I've never tried the game. I guess I haven't grasped the concept of an infinitely empty universe with nothing to do, but aimlessly travel from one planet to another planet with essentially the same things to do one each.

I realize it's better than that, but that's the image I have so far.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 19:18

Morkonan wrote: It's not like they're wiping EVE servers with them. How difficult or how many hours does it really take to reach certain levels of progress?
Actually, it would be more fair to think NMS along the like of an MMO in term of progression, rather than a SP. And according to some, the amount of hours lots is in the hundred or even thousand.
pjknibbs wrote: This is fairly normal for Paradox games--new Stellaris patches often break savegame compatibility due to the scale of the changes involved.
Like I said above, it's not quite like that. When you play Stellaris or one of the civilization game, while you can have really long game, the fact is that it's unlikely you are only gonna play just ONE game, it is accepted that eventually you will restart with a new game, trying new things ... you not gonna play one game forever. Where games like NMS is the opposite, you want to "collect them all" on one character, and the process is often long and tedious. I can say with almost certainty that if any of the MMO I play get a character wipe, I would stop playing.

To new players or coming back, of course new features and a more completed game is good. But to those who had put in a lot of hours, I can see their grievance.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 19:31

Also to note that Paradox always has branches up that allows one to revert back to previous versions, for those that want to finish their run before moving to a newer save.

Still not finding incentive to get this one.

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 20:13

Observe wrote:I've never tried the game. I guess I haven't grasped the concept of an infinitely empty universe with nothing to do, but aimlessly travel from one planet to another planet with essentially the same things to do one each.

I realize it's better than that, but that's the image I have so far.
That's the same sort of opinion I have for the game. I haven't actually tried it, either. It seems to be a sort of "walking sim/survival" hybrid with some exploration through in.

It's not the multiplayer galaxy sort of experience that was first advertised and, even though they're making some progress towards that, it's still not that and may never actually be that sort of game.

I have similar reservations about Elite, as well, in that regard. Though, I think it may be much closer to its original intended design.

If I'm going to play a multiplayer game, I want a "real one." These make-do hybrid sorts of multiplayer games seem to water down both multi and single player experiences, not really accomplishing great things in either.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 20:28

I found out why in my game I am unable to place a Portable Refiner, there is a known bug with loading an old game save, there is no known work around.

I'm not sure I want to, but I may start a new game until they come up with a fix, so I can continue.

Return to “Off Topic English”