Diversion split from ship gravity thread.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 00:01

'make it optional' is the last refuge of the failed suggestion
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

vkerinav
x3ap

Post by vkerinav » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 00:22

Sandalpocalypse wrote:'make it optional' is the last refuge of the failed suggestion
How paternalistic of you. I must assume that you are deeply involved in the decision making process at Egosoft.

I'm well aware that one can't make core gameplay elements optional. It's your arrogant condescension that I'm finding objectionable.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 01:49

Some things work well as options. Most don't. Suggestion -> Objections -> 'Well just make it optional, that'll keep everyone happy' is a pattern as old as game forums, and usually comes in place of honest engagement with the problems caused by a suggestion.

Curious that you find my post to be 'paternalistic condescension' and not, say, lectures by people who haven't even played XR on how its mechanics are bad.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 03:01

Some things are black and white.

They are liked by some, disliked by others, you make an object white, well I don't like white I like black. So, let’s keep everyone happy, make it so you can choose it white or black.

This does not make it the 'last refuge of a failed suggestion' as you so incorrectly put it. It makes it common sense to implement both options where feasible and then it keeps both camps happy.

The only exceptions are where there is a design that is based upon the chosen option, or time/cost implications. And in this case, I guess it’s a design choice as X4 is being based upon Rebirth. To be honest, I don’t really care if capital drafts are in the game or not, so long as it’s: -

A) optional, or
B) moddable to toggle

Regards
Flea

vkerinav
x3ap

Post by vkerinav » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 04:33

Sandalpocalypse wrote:Some things work well as options. Most don't. Suggestion -> Objections -> 'Well just make it optional, that'll keep everyone happy' is a pattern as old as game forums, and usually comes in place of honest engagement with the problems caused by a suggestion.
You responded to someone with an attempt at a pithy one-liner. 'Failed suggestion'? Has someone stated unequivocally that Foundation will use Rebirth's wake system, or a variation there of? There are also things that can--and even should--be made optional.
Curious that you find my post to be 'paternalistic condescension' and not, say, lectures by people who haven't even played XR on how its mechanics are bad.
What can I say, your post caught my attention. I won't deny that some people in this thread have made uninformed statements. That's not necessarily patriarchal or condescending.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 1. Apr 18, 11:28

I don't think we need this debate of posting styles diverting the thread topic.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”