Mac vs PC

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Mon, 2. Apr 18, 04:04

Been a PC fan over apple since 1984. Usually I build my own and thus repair it. Can't do that with an apple. They have locked in everything and I got the impression was.. It's my way or the highway from Jobs influence.
Woz was more of the open system guy and they removed him...
How many PC builders are there.. alot more companies building PC's than
Apples. (Oh.. only one.. Apple itself)
So that leaves many option to configure they way you want you PC.
And that true today.

I recently priced a new system (I build from parts) and
It can cost quite a bit.
Non SLI 18 core hyperthreader, 128 GB ram 1000 watt PS
SSD and a couple of HD's plus all the other support stuff ran around
8500 dollars.. (I wouldn't build one that expensive unless I hit the lottery)
But did it as a mental exercise. You can build one or modify a prebuilt desktop for around 3K. and have a decent machine. That is about the price back in the 80's for the newest machines.
So what does a new Apple machine costs today? (the full mico desktop
not an ibook..)
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 2. Apr 18, 08:42

Hurray for you fellow builder! (And retiree too)

Though it has it's drawbacks. Like I'll ask you; Do case makers shapen those drive racks to razor edges on purpose? Perhaps in
cahoots with band-aid makers? I've ran a wire brush over them
and STILL the place I miss nicks me good! :shock:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 2. Apr 18, 17:57

You need to spending a bit more money on your cases, then...cheap ones appear to be made out of razor blades and old tin cans, decent ones most definitely shouldn't be causing you any cuts. Certainly the last couple of builds I've done haven't involved a single nick or nasty cut.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 2. Apr 18, 18:12

Unfortunately I usually don't have a say on what case gets chosen.
When I do it's from manufactures who don't strop the edges to keen shapness. Though I've found some of the pricier ones look great on the outside but are said "tin cans and razor blades" on the inside.

However, whatever Newegg or Amazon, (etc) has on sale at the moment? 10 to one odds the inside is a good reason for a tetanus booster! :roll:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 2. Apr 18, 19:40

Chips wrote:But I doubt the majority of Mr B's day is spent in Starbucks
When I'm in the faculty building that is exactly where I spend most of my day (outside of lectures), because students aren't allowed on the staff floor, and most of my work involves directly interacting with students. Our rules literally force me to not use my office if I am to do my job properly.

But I don't buy more than one coffee, because it's awful. I take my own in a flask, usually I only have that, when I'm forced to I specify something that vaguely approximates a drinkable coffee, but is nowhere near nice.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 10:30

Tell them Professor! I consider myself a "coffee snob" and have a source in Jamaca. Two words: Blue Mountain. Period.

As for PC vs MAC. I look at the debate as static vs dymanic.

We seem to have no arguement that with Apple what you buy is what you get and in X years it's obsolete and you buy another.

That should settle debate. However on the other side of PC coin is pehaps too much change at too fast a pace. Interesting considering second looks given now to MS and DR DOS in some programming circles. Linux is on the rise and we might see a day when stand alone computing makes a comeback what with the security and privacy issues the internet is rife with. Apple along with Android might become the internet platform of the future, but I forsee PC and program specific computers also in that future.

So at some time this debate might be not Apples vs PCs, but apples vs oranges.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 12:56

I have yet to try blue mountain. I'd like to, but even for me it's too expensive given my rate of coffee drinking. It might be cheaper in the US, but in the UK it costs a fortune. £25 for 125 grammes.

I get through a kilo of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe a month, which is £28 for a kilo, and so very nice.

Plus I like to have several varieties on hand when I offer guests a pourover, of which I can offer all the main types apart from Melita, because I don't like that one.

Chemex is my favorite pourover method, and I find Kenyan Peaberry suits it rather well.

It's no bloody wonder I like Macs, is it...

I'm a goddam hipster.

I'm so ashamed
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 13:21

Actually it's having a friend who retired in Jamaca. He gets the beans at prices that are compared to regular coffee on the selves and mails it to me when he can. (It's seasonal). The same only quicker to get Hawaiian coffee which (outside of what they call blends) is almost as good as Jamacan beans. I'm drinking pure Hawaiian at this moment. Starbucks? Swill. Over priced bulk snd some cut with Robustus. Kenyan AA, Sumatran and Peruvian coffee's are overrated and some taste like they were squeezed through sweat socks.

(And anything that passes though civit cats I'll take a pass on.) :shock:

As for your computer preferences, it's what YOU use a computer for.
In my forte Apple has a corner on photographics and 2D graphics applications. 3D graphics needs a PC. And now the openings in game design are moving to the demand in Android/Unity.

I was saying that I think things are going to shake down to program specific platforms.

Edit: Just announced on morning news Intel is going to start making the processors for Apple. So in the future there might be little difference between Mac & PC except the OS.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 14:45

The processor is just one component of a computer, and not usually the one I use to base my purchases on

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 15:00

Agreed. Though Intel making the chips for Apple might lead to the move towards a homology between Mac and PC. If the guts end up similar then it comes down to the OS you prefer. Or what OS ypu needed to do something specific with the platform. I question what this might mean for AMD. Will the lose their nitch in the PC market or
will it open up greater a demand?
MIND THE GAP

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 17:04

Macs have used Intel chips for a decade, and functionally are PCs. The news article you saw is about rumours that Apple are going to stop using Intel chips and start manufacturing their own (which they've already started doing for iPhones). They would probably be ARM architecture.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 17:15

Thank you for the correction! That was NOT what was reported on the TV news and that's their news reader's blunder. Though I didn't know Intel was making chips for Apple until now, CNN's website is making big over tech stocks crashing over the news Apple wants to build their own chips. Good luck Apple.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 19:17

I've pretty much given up on Apple switching to a RISC architecture for Macbooks (I don't care what they use for desktops). It would be wonderful to have access to a machine that uses RISC, and yes there are rumours, but there have been rumours of them being on the verge of them switching 'any time now' for too long.

I don't beleive it's likely to happen, and even if they did I wouldn't rush out and replace my current Macbook because of it. It would be great, but not enough of a reason to repurchase when my current machine is perfectly good.

I suspect it's more of an effort to keep up the Apple mistique.
Last edited by mrbadger on Tue, 3. Apr 18, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 19:23

We all thought RISC would be the wave of the future in the 90's. If one processor is good then... Perhaps now the tech base might be ready for it.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 19:26

Hank001 wrote:We all thought RISC would be the wave of the future in the 90's. If one processor is good then... Perhaps now the tech base might be ready for it.
It kind of is. something like 99.99999% of all mobile and embedded computing devices are RISC.

CISC (pfft made up name much) is an outsider by a long shot in anything but the big machine space.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 19:38

True about mobiles, but I was hoping for desktop power. The closest I think we've came to goal of RISC is multi core. I'd swap my 6 cores for a thousand singles in a heartbeat! :wink:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 19:45

A RISC Macbook would be a dream. As they are now with Intel chips the battery life in normal office use is 10-11 hours. With a RISC chip that might extend to a couple of days.

But it would take a while to perfect the technology, long enough for me to get my moneys worth from my existing Macbook. Only it's unlikely to happen.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 20:24

Excuse me, having a bad day. You probably think I'm off my rocker.
The last time I heard of RISC they were reducing the coding complexity with massive parallel processing. Having looked at it again now, they'e reduced the complexity with architectural changes.

I'm afraid I still associated RISC with MPP when they've diverged significantly.
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 22:42

Here is a little comparison between a high end mac ($10k) against a custom made high end PC ($11k). He does make a few valid points, he also does mention things like repairs, which leads onto this, which shows you what happens when you want to repair a high end mac (I don't it's as high end as the first mac). Of course you could always go for a 3rd party Apple repairer and get issues like this, while all along Apple will do anything and everything too stop you from repairing your broken Apple equipment by trying to do things like this. I honestly don't know why people buy apple computers and phones.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 13:42

felter wrote:...I honestly don't know why people buy apple computers and phones.
It's the same reason people buy Pepsi instead of Coca-Cola or profess their love of boiled okra...

Return to “Off Topic English”