Humane dispatch.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 20:51

Alan Phipps wrote:"Oh and they once annoyed Morkonan..." So not all bad then? (Just kidding!)...
"(Just kidding!)" No you're not. :)

On the scourge of the Fascist Grey Squirrels, don't discount the effect of the common housecat that many people consider to be an inside/outside unsupervised "pet."

There used to be a lot of chipmunks around here. Well, enough so that it wasn't unusual to see them bouncing around in the yard from time to time. So cute! Several fat neighborhood housecats later... no more chipmunks. Though, they can't do the same thing as easily with groundhogs. A goundhog will @$@$^ up a housecat. :) (Had a big one living under my deck for the longest time. Haven't seen him in a couple of years, though. :( )

Interesting factoids: Red squirrels. It seems the rapacious and neo-fascist-marxist-anti-vaxxer-lobbyist grey squirrels devour green acorns, which are the only acorns that red squirrels can digest, leaving them with little food supply.

(I once rescued a baby grey squirrel when I was a kid and nursed it back to health and released it into the wild. Et tu Brute? I should have named him Iago...)

So, I was interested in the subject of "Pescetarianism" and did a search on it. This is the first thing I clicked on: Huffingtonpost - Chloe Spencer - Pescetarianism.

There is so much BS there that it's difficult to read that article above the stench of the writer's own fart-sniffing proselytizing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U

Do people actually believe this crap? This kind of thing always bothers me. Someone who is intelligent enough to string words together with some sort of comprehensible intent surely has enough brain cells to be able to interpret even casual experiences as either factual or not. Yet, for some people, all one has to do is add one variable that makes them think they're part of some "special group" and they'll start just plain making up complete garbage and citing it as "fact."

I don't even... Why are people dumb? I don't mean "ignorant." Ignorance is fine and everyone is ignorant about something. But, why are people just plain friggin' stupid in an Age where information and real science is so accessible? I mean.. when you're talking about scientificky stuffs, doesn't it make sense to actually look at the scientificky answers people have discovered?

The writer of the above article is a moron. There, I wrote it. I will happily await my "Cease and Desist" letter and threat of a Libel suit so I can say the same thing in an open court. With pictures, even. <southpark-fartsniffers.jpg>

So, yeah, I was actually interested in this whole "fish thing" and tried to find out more information about it only to run into a culture of ignorance that makes me want to go out and eat a giant steak in order to cleanse myself.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 21:17

Not sure if that is aimed at me Mork, doesn't matter either way. :)

For me I was a Vegan for a long time, I will not go into the reasons why, they are irrelevant. Then I became just a Vegetarian, ( living without Leather is very difficult for instance! ) Now I eat fish and eggs ( free range, allegedly, ) because if for no other reason my health an the fact I love fishing! I only heard the word pescatarian after someone labelled me as one, a year or two after starting fishing again.

I have no need to " belong " to any social group, that is odd, as am I mostly I guess...

I care little what other people think about my habits, including the Vegans who could not fathom why, when I was a vegan too, I still prepared meat for my wife and children. Live and let live. :)

Enjoy your steak Mork, though I would suggest professional help if you clean yourself with it first, before eating! :P
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 21:25

greypanther wrote:Not sure if that is aimed at me Mork, doesn't matter either way. :) ...
I PM'd you 'cause the forum said your post had been "deleted" or some such. But, now it's back, so..

No, it wasn't aimed at you at all! You do you! I'm cool with that. My ire/rant/boggling was aimed at the functional moron who wrote that article and largely inspired by my disappointment that the first bit of information I found when innocently searching on the topic was her BS blog post that was full of bullhockey...:)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 21:31

:lol:

No worries. :)

I deleted it because like a fool I put it in the wrong thread. :oops: I deleted then replaced it in the right one. I only got a few lines into that article, then remembering old conversations with " militant " vegans who thought I was a traitor, when I was a vegan, yet still prepared meat for my family, gave up.

I may have another look. :roll:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 22:15

I like that part about leaving critters alone... One big problem here in my parts are there is more than 20 state parks, wildlife preserves and national and state forests within 50 miles of here. We'll leave the 5 state mamaged lakes out of it. Each area once thought the thought, it would be great if we had _____, (fill in the blank with an animal they didn't have)... here in our area. Plus the idiots setting up hunting lodges that talked (bribed) state official into letting them import wild boars here for hunting. The black bears they brought in didn't do so well, coyotes did too well, and so on. When their playing with things blew up in their faces the state put a stop to their tinkering, and as usual way too late. Now even the pet stores are limited to domesticated animals since we now know whatever the local university student buys is apt to wind up let loose in the woods. Thus our problems with ferrets. SO I'm with you on leave well enough alone!
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 04:03

Morkonan wrote:
So, yeah, I was actually interested in this whole "fish thing" and tried to find out more information about it only to run into a culture of ignorance that makes me want to go out and eat a giant steak in order to cleanse myself.
If you want to cleanse yourself out real good I can share my chili recipe.

Slice beef chuck roast into cubes and trim off fat.
Brown in pan and drain off fat
Add to pot
Add beef stock
Add garlic and any other spice you want.
Deseed fresh peppers and chop finely or use blender to mush them up. Add to pot.
Simmer on low heat for a couple hours. Ladle off the fat that rises to the top.
Stop cooking when you get the consistency you want. I like my chili thick enough to eat with a fork.

Poblano, banana, bell peppers etc are good for flavor. Serrano peppers make a mildly spicy chili that doesn't drown out the savoriness with heat. Jalapenos make for a spicy chili. Anything further up the Scoville scale is a bit reckless. This makes a hearty bowl of chili that will scrub out your inner workings like a charm. It's authentic Texan food with no beans or tomato products required.
Who made that man a gunner?

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 08:15

Well that's certainly on topic here!
Though I can't say it's exactly humane.
Try some of those ghost peppers in there.
That'll do it! :evil:
MIND THE GAP

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 12:32

Morkonan wrote:So, I was interested in the subject of "Pescetarianism" and did a search on it. This is the first thing I clicked on: Huffingtonpost - Chloe Spencer - Pescetarianism.
To be fair I've never once encountered a proselytising Pescetarian. It's not generally a moral position, more of a "I don't like meat but I do like fish". Like most such articles that isn't representative of the views of the vast majority of the adherents, more representative of the sort of people that write lifestyle articles.

There is certainly one thing to be said for it over vegetarianism, it makes eating out a whole lot easier! There was a phase when restaurants felt obligated to provide vegetarian options, but these are frequently awful and often priced at the same as a meat dish which is silly when the most expensive ingredient has been removed. In a few memorable cases the veggie option was LITERALLY the meat based dish with the meat removed, basically just 2 veg. . . . . same price.

This has started to change, no the veggie options haven't improved, the restaurants have realised that veggies make up a fairly small part of their customer base and there is no kind actual legal obligation to cater for them so sod it, they aren't worth it, so we won't.

So yeah, being willing to eat fish vastly increases your dining options.
God help the vegans, I can count the number of good vegan dishes I've ever eaten in a restaurant on the figures of one hand.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 13:00

On the other end of that spectrum is this lady.

Though it seems a bit squirrelly to me. :roll:

https://youtu.be/tsCapFx_fWk
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”