Proper english job title?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Proper english job title?

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 10:36

The company I work for is opening new offices in Finland and Sweden entering new markets. My boss has recently hired a sort of domain expert guy in energy industry who is supposed to work directly under the CEO but be somewhat of jack of all trades. He is supposed to cooperate with CFO, sales managers, delivery and support services, etc, etc. He is supposed to have input on Business plans and organization, product placement, etc, etc...

I got asked what sort of proper English title would be for this type of person. While this was just remark on the launch table it really made me think...
Chief Jack of All Trades doesn't sound properly professional. CTO (not really fitting) and COO are already taken. Hand of the Sauron is taken too - I got that one 8)

Any input from English speaking fellow forum users?
Last edited by Warenwolf on Tue, 27. Mar 18, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 11:06

It's worth noting that job titles tend to differ between US and UK corporations. In the US you get a lot of "Vice President of XYZ" while in the UK it's more often "XYZ Director".

But following the CEO/CFO model, if he's an expert in the specific field rather than just in managing it, then he could be the CTO (Chief Technology Officer).

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 11:51

I see two ways to interpret the role you describe, and I'm not sure which is correct. One is that they're kind of a mini-CEO - supporting the CEO in making sure the organisation runs as desired so that the CEO can do more strategic work (but supporting them with strategic briefings etc. too). This kind of role might be called a Chief Operating Officer. The other is more what I see CBJ as probably thinking of - if they have a particular area of responsibility, even if it's intertwined with others, then something like a Chief Technical Officer might make sense.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 13:46

In a more military-style organisation he might be called a 'Business Manager', a 'Non-Executive Director', or even (if with some HR responsibilities) the 'Chief of Staff'.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 13:58

I was thinking Chief Operating Officer (COO) as well, to be honest--it's a sufficiently general title to cover a multitude of sins, while sounding like you're in the same bracket as the CEO.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 17:20

pjknibbs wrote:I was thinking Chief Operating Officer (COO) as well, to be honest--it's a sufficiently general title to cover a multitude of sins, while sounding like you're in the same bracket as the CEO.
Sorry, I misspelled the acronym in the original post. Chief Operating Officer is taken and so is CTO (which isn't really fitting for the position).

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 27. Mar 18, 18:50

Well, to continue the acronym guessing game, what about the Chief Governance Officer (CGO)?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 01:10

Chief Operating Worker?
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 04:56

Chief Business Development Officer or
Chief Development Officer maybe?
Could they be some sort of Executive or Senior Vice President, or are they more senior than that?

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 13:49

Rapier wrote:Chief Operating Worker?
Too generic (which says a lot for C level title) :D

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 13:59

Combined Home And Overseas Supervisor? The acronym might be a bit of a problem, though...CHAOS. :wink:

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 20:03

pjknibbs wrote:Combined Home And Overseas Supervisor? The acronym might be a bit of a problem, though...CHAOS. :wink:
Better than COW rapier suggested (Chief Operating Worker) perhaps....

:)

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 21:06

i would suggest at the very same lunchtable that CHAOS may be the fitting name.... Plottwist his chef is quite active at this forum aswell :lol:
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 01:02

OmegaKnight wrote:Chief Business Development Officer or
Chief Development Officer maybe?
Could they be some sort of Executive or Senior Vice President, or are they more senior than that?
^--- My vote is for something like that.

"Strategic Planning" and that sort of thing can be rolled up under such an office. It's generally a "Development" issue.

In any event, it's an office focused on "strategic development." The role would be considered to be chaired by one person, so it would have a "Director", "Chairperson", "Head", "Vice-President" or "Officer" title.

Chief Development Officer, Vice-President of Corporate Development, Chief Strategist for Corporate Planning, etc...

"Operations" is a more day-to-day office, not suitable to oversee that role. It's an obvious Board of Directors office, too, so it's a top-level Executive position.

In the US, it'd likely be a "Chief Development Officer" or "Corporate Planning" sort of office.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 11:40

In the service we called it Director of Strategic Planning.

They generally got saddled with everything.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 12. Apr 18, 22:14

Corporate operations coordinater?

COC...
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 11:34

Assistant Systems and Strategy Head for the Operations and Logistics Environment

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 13:32

:rofl: OUCH! That one was slow it hit me M.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”