What's wrong with my HDD?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 14:41

Sinxar wrote:
korio wrote:If its an external drive but not SSD, they usually are slower than internal drives
That was true before USB 3 and Thunderbolt where the interface was the limiting factor. A modern HDD that peaks around 60MB/s regardless of whether it is external or not is unheard of unless there is something wrong with it.
I was thinking more of the drive RPM than the transfer speed, anyway, because of the buffer, the rpms or other factor, external drives are usually slower than internal ones.

Ofc everything matters here, so as always, it depends in what you pick and how much $ you use :D

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 16:48

Sinxar wrote:A modern HDD that peaks around 60MB/s regardless of whether it is external or not is unheard of unless there is something wrong with it.
Peak speed depends heavily on the sizes of the files being copied--if you have a lot of very small ones then the copy speed won't be as good as if you're copying one large one. Don't know if this is a factor here, but it's worth pointing out.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 18:18

Mightysword wrote:
Morkonan wrote: How many pictures are in one folder and how are you accessing them?

I only use IrfanView as an example, I can access these folders normally. Plus when the drive start to act up, it'll lock up everything on the drive. I think whenever the problem happens it usually when I access these mega folders, and then it freeze up the drive. I wonder if the large file counts in these folders has some kind of effect.
Are you using a recent version of IRFanview? 32 or 64 bit? There are some issues to consider with filenames, possible long directory-tree structures, if you're not using a 64-bit version. (IIRC from some searching I did a couple of days ago when considering that program's possible input into this issue.)

It's also possible to hang a program with incompatible requests. For instance, I use a really old app to quickly scan for textures. It's what I "know" and it's lightweight, incredibly fast, and easy to use. (A very old copy of ACDC (ASeeDSee/whatever)) But, it can't read non-english characters. Most pics don't have those. But, in order to try to make sure I keep licensing straight, even on unlicensed textures I grab whenever I see something "cool", I will often edit the filename and paste in a reference I can google-foo if needed. If it's a non-standard-English character, the program will NOT read the file or display it. It is written well-enough, as a properly constructed program, to not fatally hang, though, even when presented with such things.

Blah,blah,blah - In short - If you can't duplicate this problem using the standard Windows file-explorer or other programs, I would seriously consider looking at your application as a potential trouble-spot. Download the newest version, since it's free, and try that to see if it reproduces the same faults.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 27. Apr 18, 03:56

For some strange reason some sata cables over time develop some problems that sounds like this guys. It's called "crosstalk". It can also lead to slow read times, but hardly any read errors. It's basically points in te cable close to video, audio and such cards heat sources breaking down the substances (isomers) in the cable at the points of greatest heat exposure. In these cases change the cable, solve the problem. If it is the sata cable (And used to happen rarely on old IDE ribbons too) then changing out the drive might not fix the problem.

This might not be the problem, but it might be worth a shot.
Last edited by Hank001 on Fri, 27. Apr 18, 08:53, edited 2 times in total.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 27. Apr 18, 08:48

Yeah, that's why I suggested swapping the SATA cable out on the previous page.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 27. Apr 18, 08:52

Sorry didn't see it. :oops:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 27. Apr 18, 17:51

Hank001 wrote:Sorry didn't see it. :oops:
No worries. I suggested that as well in my second post. But, then again, nobody pays any attention to the man babbling in the corner of the room... :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 28. Apr 18, 00:05

Guess I should have at least skimmed prior posts.
Lots of problems cropping up like this with Sata3 systems with 6gb transfer capability and capable drives crapping out because they didn't use Sata3 cables and the crosstalk develops faster.
There are schematics for cable checkers out there but they are quite involved and I can sum them up by saying that if there's a question about them then you're better off getting a new cable.

Recently I was hit with the Sata connection block on the motherboard parting from some of the solder connections because of a cable stressing at an angle. A lot of cursing, tedoius soldering job, drive format and reload from backup and back to work in an an hour and a half for me.

For people who don't fiddle with tech hardware as a hobby there's more to drive problems than the drive itself. I'll give myself a DUH on that one. :oops:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”