Nice things that happend to you.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Nice things that happend to you.

Post by clakclak » Thu, 3. May 18, 16:12

So because there is so mutch negative stuff around I just wanted to talk a bit about the nicer things in life. What happend to you that made you happy?

For example:

The other day I found an envelope in my mailbox. It only had my name on it and nothing else. In it I found my ID card, train ticket and student ID as well as a short note where where they had been found. Turns out that they must have fallen out of my wallet one evening ealier. Sadly it didn't say who had found them, because I would have been very happy to show my gratedute.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 3. May 18, 18:12

My nice thing. The thing that still makes me feel happy now concerns my wife, but it was from before we were married, during the time that convinced me marriage was the only possible course of action.

It was also strangely during one of the worst experiences of my life, after my brain injury.

But waking up, barely able to focus, not knowing what time of day it was, still not able to move, and seeing her sat there reading a book waiting for me to wake up was wonderful.

At the time it made me feel much better. I didn’t appreciate it fully till later. Or maybe I did. Certainly the immediate effect has remained with me and overridden any memory of the discomfort I must have been in.

All I can remember is her putting down the book and smiling at me.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 4. May 18, 16:32

My then-wife threw me a surprise birthday party and an old friend traveled a long distance just to be there for it. (Both the surprise party and his attendance were very nice.)

On a signature birthday, myself and some friends traveled and had a nice weekend together.

My neighbors are constantly doing nice things for me. Inviting me to dinner, church, bringing over food (two of them really like to cook and one is German, which means some really great German food), inviting me to symphony, opera, etc... I'm going with two of them to a musical this month.

A friend came to stay with me when I recently had some surgery. I could have handled it on my own, but one shouldn't have to, right? So, he took time off from work and came.

Decades ago, back when I was a teen, a girlfriend worked two jobs just to buy me a nice Christmas present. She took a crappy late-night job at a crappy fast-food joint just to get the money together... I will never forget that.

A long time ago, a close girl "friend" of mine noticed a change in my behavior. (It was after my mother had passed.) I had become a bit standoffish, much more "adult" and "professionally focused." Basically, I retreated a bit from friends. It really wasn't that big of a deal, I had just been hit with a lot of responsibility so I was overcompensating a bit. Anyway, she called me up, said she wasn't having any of that and then made me go out with her, not accepting "No" for an answer. (We used to go out to clubs and such all the time and hung out together frequently.) IOW - "She noticed." She saw a change in me that only someone who was really paying attention to someone they cared about would notice.

And, some of the nicer things that have happened to me? Well, those special things I'll keep to myself. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”