"A great day for peace"

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 16. May 18, 15:32

[Looks up "Peace" in the dictionary]
1. - Freedom from disturbance; tranquillity.
2. - A state or period in which there is no war or a war has ended.
Ummmm, yeah. . . . No.
Mightysword wrote: Frankly, if they were truly united and authenticated in the wish of creating a Palestine state with all original territory (like they often claim now), Israel would have been wiped out in the first Arab-Israel war. But it's their scheming and divisiveness that allows Israel to buy time and maneuver for a come back. And who know, even if the first war was concluded in the Arab favor, somehow I seriously doubt the Palestine would have gotten their wish.
It still incredible Israel managed to survived the Arab-Israel war, they started out dramatically outgunned and and it took a rather significant amount of time for the US to correct and reverse that imbalance. . . more than enough for the Arab forces to have flattened them.
Everything I've read has put this down to Isreali superior tactics and tenacity but you're likely correct that perhaps the Arab forces weren't as tightly focused as they should have been.

The "what if" your proposing however is totally impossible to make any sensible guess at, WAY too many factors at play. Maybe it would be all sorted bunnies and rainbows, maybe the whole area would be glass. . . . who the hell could know.
Morkonan wrote:It's a matter of timing and what's best for peace. Clinton, Bush and Obama all postponed the move every six months while President. Every six months...

He did it not because it was appropriate, but because it would make headlines and show his supporters he was "doing stuff." His motivations aren't for peace in the region, just using lives to gain "ratings."
Exactly, it's called diplomacy, placate the Israelis by promising it, never actually follow through because . . . . well just have a quick look at the news over the last few days.
Trump is an idiot with all the finesse of a bull in a china shop.
Annnnnd in regard to his ego, have a look at the plaque unveiled:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdMrcUDXcAAr_gj.jpg

Note how his name is in larger font that any other detail, including the name of the country the embassy is to be within . . . . or the name of the country it represents (arguable, I think the USA bit is slightly smaller)

Says it all really.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 16. May 18, 16:27

If true, Israeli snipers are clearly not very good at their jobs--they shouldn't be hitting people in the legs when attempting to kill them. There's the possibility the sniper was deliberately aiming to disable rather than kill the doctor, of course, which is a scary prospect if so...

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 16. May 18, 16:39

pjknibbs wrote:If true, Israeli snipers are clearly not very good at their jobs--they shouldn't be hitting people in the legs when attempting to kill them. There's the possibility the sniper was deliberately aiming to disable rather than kill the doctor, of course, which is a scary prospect if so...
Shooting to disable in order to lure others out of cover to help the injured then shooting them too was a pretty standard sniper tactic. . . . but I'm not sure how it would apply in this situation, my reading of it would be the sniper would have a positive wealth of targets, seeing as they're basically shooting into a crowd.

More generally there thread of military thinking that a badly wounded enemy solider is preferable to a dead one. Both are rendered combat ineffective but the former also presents logistical difficulties for the enemy, I'd imagine this might count double if you shoot a medic.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 16. May 18, 20:25

Bishop149 wrote:...Exactly, it's called diplomacy, placate the Israelis by promising it, never actually follow through because . . . . well just have a quick look at the news over the last few days.
Trump is an idiot with all the finesse of a bull in a china shop.
Annnnnd in regard to his ego, have a look at the plaque unveiled:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdMrcUDXcAAr_gj.jpg

Note how his name is in larger font that any other detail, including the name of the country the embassy is to be within . . . . or the name of the country it represents (arguable, I think the USA bit is slightly smaller)

Says it all really.
Well, the "diplomatic" part of it was taken care of by Clinton. The postponements were "moral conscience" understanding the ramifications and inflammatory possibilities. I don't think Trump has one of those...

And, that plaque. Oh... wow.

I hope that we go the route of other "empires," with Pharaohs and Emperors removing and disfiguring the monuments of their predecessors. Hopefully, there will be a slew of Trump statues with their noses broken off... and dedication plaques melted down for plowshares.

Just "wow." Hubris has a rival.

On the shooting of the doctor and killing of the medic:

That's just... messed up. Tactically, it's demoralizing. If the doc is out of the fight and the medics can't function, protestors know any injury may be their last. I just don't get the use of deadly force against "rock-throwers." Not there, didn't see it, so can't really say one way or another. But, shooting noncombat civilians like that, especially if the protestors aren't using lethal weapons, is just wrong.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 16. May 18, 21:34

pjknibbs wrote:
If true, Israeli snipers are clearly not very good at their jobs--they shouldn't be hitting people in the legs when attempting to kill them. There's the possibility the sniper was deliberately aiming to disable rather than kill the doctor, of course, which is a scary prospect if so...
Neither I nor the article ever claimed they were trying to kill them. Remeber that they also shoot the football player from Gaza in the leg, you can see the soldiers and the distance they are away from him. They only fire a single shot and almost perfectly hit his knee, which makes me believe that there is at the very least a chance that they are trying to aim for the legs.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Return to “Off Topic English”