Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 19:25

Long time since posting here but X4 has got me interested and in the meantime thought I would post a few quick thoughts on ED.

I only just got round to buying the game (with Horizons) for the princely sum of £20 in last Xmas Steam sale. It's kept me occupied fairly solid since then so they must be doing something right though there are plenty of learning points in there for Egosoft as how not to design a space game!

First of all IMHO it is a great shame we never got the proper single player game which was originally envisaged and one reason I put off getting it so long. The horror stories about "ganking" and other undesirable activities in Open play are enough to keep me in Solo ad infinitum. Although the X games introduced the idea of insurance to save your game in space, "Rebuy" is a rather insidious system particularly as you lose any exploration etc. data you might have accumulated.

I miss being able to build the massive station complexes that we had in Terran Conflict to complete the Hub grind.

ED (for me) is primarily about exploration. Currently en route back to The Bubble from Sagittarius-A. Got out there okay but my AspX took a battering first when I misjudged a neutron star approach and again when the game kindly spawned my jump in between two binary stars. Limping home on 49% hull, various systems gone and 15,000 LY to go!
Three Time Beagle Point Veteran

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 20:22

BigVern wrote:...I miss being able to build the massive station complexes that we had in Terran Conflict to complete the Hub grind....
Just wanted to chime in, here: I love that, too. Yes, it can take forever to transport everything where its needed and to manually finesse the pieces together like some huge Lego model.

But, that's part of the reward. That "work" put into building things like that acts to multiply the satisfaction of having done it, once completed.

Of course, actually going on a sightseeing tour of one's construction achievements in X3TC/AP can be... hazardous to one's construction achievements. But, still, they can have a nice footprint on one's map display, so I guess there's that...

On Exploration: That's important in any of these sorts of space games. "The unknown", even if it's just in a game, is a powerful draw.

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 23:07

Morkonan wrote: On Exploration: That's important in any of these sorts of space games. "The unknown", even if it's just in a game, is a powerful draw.
My ambition is to get out to Beagle Point, before X4 comes out. However I'm going to need an Anaconda or similar for such a long journey enough space for 2 x AFMU so they can repair each other. AspX isn't quite going to cut it. Also need a good roll on the FSD from Farseer as you really need to be looking at >50 LY standard jump (or 200 LY on the neutrons) to get through the gaps and stay sane!

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 12:31

BigVern wrote: My ambition is to get out to Beagle Point, before X4 comes out. However I'm going to need an Anaconda or similar for such a long journey enough space for 2 x AFMU so they can repair each other. AspX isn't quite going to cut it. Also need a good roll on the FSD from Farseer as you really need to be looking at >50 LY standard jump (or 200 LY on the neutrons) to get through the gaps and stay sane!
Hi :)

I've managed to engineer 50 ly jump range with my Diamondback Explorer .
I'm puzzled though at your reference to the Neutron Stars?....do you mean you get more jump range within the systems with Neutron Stars/Systems somehow?
Could you please explain further as I'm totally ignorant of this feature :? ..:oops:

Oldman :)

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 15:59

Neutron Stars (aka nose cone boost) increase your range to 4x. So a 47LY range becomes up to 191 LY. However there is an attendant risk of frying your ship if you get too close to the star (you need to enter the cone flying away from the centre). Over time the boost degrades your FSD which means on a long voyage you need to give module space to an AFMU and, on a really long voyage, a SRV to harvest rocks on landable planets to gather materials for synthesis to refill the AFMU.

All good stuff but always in your mind the fact if you stuff up, no load from the previous 5 minutes but back to the rebuy screen at the last hard station you were docked at!

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 17:44

Hi :)

Thanks for the information :thumb_up:
I'm contemplating doing a 5000 ly journey (to get access to Professor Palin's workshop). The furthest I've been is just over 1000 ly's from my start position. Hmmm....about 100 jumps or so is what I need to do.
I'll not use the 'cone' for that :D . I'll 'experiment' with that feature in the near future though, and a bit closer to 'home' with a cheap ship until I can master/learn a 'safe' method! :wink:

Thanks once again for the info. :)

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 22:37

That's my racing DBX "Bucket Of Bolts" after a little push from the neutron star in Jackson's Lighthouse (the only neutron star I know of deep inside the bubble).

Also white dwarves give a jump boost, but to a lesser extent. The most dangerous thing to watch out for when neutron boosting is the size of the exclusion zone around the star. Some of them have the jets barely extending out of it, and those are usually a no-no if you care for your ship integrity, they're almost inevitably a rebuy sentence. Many of them though have tiny exclusion zones with the jets extending far beyond them, in that case the boost can be easily achieved skimming the jets' extremities without risking of getting trapped in the star's gravity well.
Problems arise when said exclusion zone doesn't get displayed until the very last second, something that happens all too often.

Then there's also the "neutron boost stacking" thing, but that's definitely more tricky and still not clear if a proper feature of the game or some kind of bug exploit...

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 07:01

BigVern wrote:
My ambition is to get out to Beagle Point, before X4 comes out. However I'm going to need an Anaconda or similar for such a long journey enough space for 2 x AFMU so they can repair each other. AspX isn't quite going to cut it. Also need a good roll on the FSD from Farseer as you really need to be looking at >50 LY standard jump (or 200 LY on the neutrons) to get through the gaps and stay sane!
Why an Anaconda? I've been to Beagle point in a pre engineeribg AspX (low 30s jump range). You csn even do it in a non engineered Sidey. I even came strsight back though the abyss - if you want to take it easy take an Anaconda - if you want adventure take something else.
A flower?

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 09:07

In the end I decided to go for BP in my AspX as noted it is more than capable, currently heading out through the Viatori Patuit then planning to go up through Silentium. Lots of unclaimed systems out there.

I will eventually get an Annie (though X4 might interrupt that process!) but it is gilding the lily a bit. Only thing the AspX could do with is one more module slot to pack a detail surface scanner, being a wimp I kept my docking computer!

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 14:30

BigVern wrote:, being a wimp I kept my docking computer!
What's a "docking computer"?
A flower?

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 18:42

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Assuming that's not a tongue in cheek question :) , it's a module that docks you into the allocated bay at a station or outpost "hands off". Main benefit is you avoid colliding with the letterbox and should keep you from colliding with other shipping. Unlike the docking computer in the X games though, everything happens in real time which can be a real PITA if your allocated pad is at the back of the station!

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 5. Apr 18, 14:42

BigVern wrote:
Assuming that's not a tongue in cheek question :) !
My tongue was firmly in my cheek!
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 09:38

Hi :D

I've just completed my 5000 Ly trip (5072 Ly to be exact) and I ditched the docking computer for an AMFU, turned out I didn't need it as my hull was still at 100% and systems ok ish at the end.
I docked at the nearest outpost after I completed my trip as my DB. has no weapons or chaff. It's an outpost I've used frequently in the past so I'm Allied or friendly with all the factions there.
My Exploration data was worth about 12,000,000 which advanced me to 'Pioneer' and I can access Professor Palins workshop now. :thumb_up:

As I docked manually I realized how rusty I'd become at manual docking without the DC.!...it was hilarious :D. I picked the small outpost in the system as I reckoned it would be easier than to dock than the main orbital station, and a bit safer. :oops:

Anyhow, later on I practiced docking without the DC. a number of times just to get back in the 'groove' to being able to dock at all types of stations manually. Just goes to show how easier it is to dock, or more to the point how one becomes a bit too reliant on the DC.

Right....I'm off to see Professor Palin!...might even buy another Chieftain and engineer it up for combat. :o

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 18:43

That's the reason I've hung onto my DC...

The other thing the game doesn't make clear is that if you take a Repair Limpet Controller, you can't synth the limpets direct to the unit, you need a freight bay to sore them... Aargh, a bit late finding that out 20 kylies from the nearest outpost!

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 21. May 18, 14:54

Hi Folks :)

I'm still playing ED Horizons, Just thought to mention that I have to laugh at some of the NPC names that appear as pilots in my game, some of them quite witty and funny, and well thought out. I submitted my true name as part of the kickstarter contribution, but as yet I haven't seen my name appear as an NPC yet.

I was in a system just recently collecting materials and a few bounty's (in solo) and noticed that a Python was being piloted by a 'clean' NPC.
The NPC pilots name was Bruce Warren. Now I'm sure I've seen that name somewhere else... :gruebel: .... :wink:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 09:42

New version out, a couple of new ships. But not playing at the mo (messing about with a cheap goty Fallout 4). Suffering with ED fatigue.
A flower?

SepticTooth
x4

Post by SepticTooth » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 02:41

Oldman wrote:Hi Folks :)

I'm still playing ED Horizons, Just thought to mention that I have to laugh at some of the NPC names that appear as pilots in my game, some of them quite witty and funny, and well thought out. I submitted my true name as part of the kickstarter contribution, but as yet I haven't seen my name appear as an NPC yet.

I was in a system just recently collecting materials and a few bounty's (in solo) and noticed that a Python was being piloted by a 'clean' NPC.
The NPC pilots name was Bruce Warren. Now I'm sure I've seen that name somewhere else... :gruebel: .... :wink:

I think my favorite npc name in Elite still belongs to the fighter pilot that's been sitting in stasis in the belly of my anaconda for the past year. His name is Hung Best, and what time I did spend with him before taking an extended break from the game, he managed to prove his sizable cojones in combat.

I kinda grew tired of Frontier removing rep farms that took weeks while introducing busted missions that paid out hundreds of millions of credits a day though so I haven't had the itch to play in quite some time.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 10:55

SepticTooth wrote: I think my favorite npc name …..
Mrs Trellis (presumably from North Wales) has always been my favourite.
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 12:18

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: Mrs Trellis (presumably from North Wales) has always been my favourite.
A joke which many Brits and pretty much everyone from any other country will fail to get, I feel. :wink:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 16:48

pjknibbs wrote:
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: Mrs Trellis (presumably from North Wales) has always been my favourite.
A joke which many Brits and pretty much everyone from any other country will fail to get, I feel. :wink:

Most likely. But that's their loss ;)
A flower?

Return to “Off Topic English”