Headphones recommendation

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Headphones recommendation

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 22. May 18, 13:26

Recently (in part due to a change in living arrangements) I have take to playing my games using headphones, far less annoying for anyone who might be sharing the room with me!
Currently I have just plugged some earbuds in to the 3.5mm jack of my speakers but TBH I find wearing an earbud for any length of time to be uncomfortable. So I thought I should upgrade to a proper set of headphones / headset.

However, I also don't want to be completely antisocial isolated in my own little game world. I frequently have to pop in and out of games as other more important things make demands on my time. So currently I tend to just wear just the one earbud so I can still maintain an awareness of my surroundings audio-wise.

So I would ask for recommendations either for a single sided headphone (of which I can't find many) or a more traditional set in which it is comfortable to slide one set off to the side, requirements other than this:
- Plugs in with 3.5mm jack.
- Comfortable
- Not too expensive, I'm no audiophile so don't care too much about uber sound quality. (~£50? maybe a bit more?)
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Tue, 22. May 18, 14:57

I would recommend either Jabra or Sennheiser headsets. I've been using them at work for the last couple of years. There are not too expensive and not bad quality.

For your requirements, those could work:

- Sennheiser PC 2 Chat
- jabra evolve 40 jack

If you are willing to invest a little more (like 100 pounds) I would try a wireless version. It's really a change to get rid of the cable

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. May 18, 15:59

I use one of these at work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-Bl ... 00001W0F4/

They're comfortable enough, although I tend not to wear them all the time because my job isn't one that requires me to be constantly answering the phone. No idea how well they'd work for games.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 22. May 18, 16:17

- those little single ear-piece sets you can get for the XBOX, are cheap and work OK.. (in mono, natch!)

- at home I use a monster pair of wired USB phones from Logitech - bit heavy and hot at this time of year, but fab sound..
- also I have a standard plug-in set of folding Sennheiser's, small enough to fit in a coat/jacket pocket, for when I'm on the move..
- great for the Microsoft mobile.. :roll:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 22. May 18, 16:37

I like the look of the Jabra, I might try those.
Thanks guys.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Tue, 22. May 18, 17:56

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x -link to review-

A bit over budget but the last pair of headphones you'll need to buy.
Gaming, music, all day use, everything...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 22. May 18, 18:36

pjknibbs wrote:I use one of these at work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-Bl ... 00001W0F4/

They're comfortable enough, although I tend not to wear them all the time because my job isn't one that requires me to be constantly answering the phone. No idea how well they'd work for games.
Just a plug for Plantronics. I have no idea in regards to sound quality, but I have always enjoyed Plantronics headsets and have used them in general gaming, usually multiplayer though.

I would recommend against earbuds, in general. They're less safe than headphones, IMO, in regards to potential pitfalls with hearing loss. And, either way, any sort of headphone system is going to cause increased risk in that regard.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 24. May 18, 11:45

OmegaKnight wrote:Audio-Technica ATH-M40x -link to review-

A bit over budget but the last pair of headphones you'll need to buy.
Gaming, music, all day use, everything...
I have these, highly recommend. Though I do notice a difference using a dedicated sound card compared to plugging it straight into the motherboard audio ports. Bit pricey too.

One important thing OP hasn't mentioned-- do you need a microphone?

In terms of value for money you can't get much better than the HyperX Cloud II
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Thu, 24. May 18, 12:06

I have used these Panasonic headphones for donkeys years and they provide a decent output, although I’m no audio expert, they make everything sound good. Cheap and cheerful at £13 and come with a 3m cable, but the most important feature for me is the easy access volume control on the cable.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5340882
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 24. May 18, 15:17

I've had this Logitech headset for a couple of year now and I'm pretty satisfied.

It's super light and comfy, so there's no issues with wearing it for a few hour at the time (or more), the build-in micro works well, and you can pivot the ear cuffs so it stays decently comfortable if you wear a single headphone. Add the fact that they have been dropped a considerable amount of times and are still intact and working perfectly.

Plus, I found it a decent mixture of sound isolation vs environmental awareness. It will always depend on the volume on which you're playing, of course, but at moderate sound levels with both cuffs on, you may not understand if someone is talking to you, but you will still be aware someone is speaking. (Or you'll still hear your oven timer telling you your cookies are ready.)
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “Off Topic English”