Periodic dev updates?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Periodic dev updates?

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 04:14

I think it would be nice if the devs could periodically (maybe once a week or two) write a short description of what they have been working on for the last few days, posted to the forums.

They may think that a description of what they are working on may be incomprehensible to most, or boring, but I think any info would be better than no info. If they don't want to mention stuff for fear of it being a spoiler, they could omit that.

It doesn't have to be at the level of Star Citizen ATV episodes, just a few written lines in a forum, but I think it would be a great, practically free way to help build anticipation for the game.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 05:06

Then it'd just be "no, it isn't done yet" every week. Let the devs do the work in peace. Less talk, more done.

ajime
x4

Re: Periodic dev updates?

Post by ajime » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 07:11

Falcrack wrote:I think it would be nice if the devs could periodically (maybe once a week or two) write a short description of what they have been working on for the last few days, posted to the forums.

They may think that a description of what they are working on may be incomprehensible to most, or boring, but I think any info would be better than no info. If they don't want to mention stuff for fear of it being a spoiler, they could omit that.

It doesn't have to be at the level of Star Citizen ATV episodes, just a few written lines in a forum, but I think it would be a great, practically free way to help build anticipation for the game.
wait for the anniversary stream in 15 days. I am sure they will be forced some info out upon crowd rioting and fork chanting in the chat. :D

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 09:36

The request for more and more regular updates has just recently been covered by CBJ in this topic.
CBJ wrote:
Fleabum wrote:Sounds to me like Egosoft could do with a professional full time community facing member of staff that would interact with their community, the wider audience and press.
That would be lovely, but it's not something we have the resources to do.
Fleabum wrote:Maybe even go as far as weekly dev diary updates, showcase new features. Show new ship highlights, maybe a bit of real play of the ship in flight, anything to keep the community engaged.
Sorry, but even if we could afford the time to do this, the reality is that there isn't something new to tell people about every week. Development can be a frustratingly slow process sometimes, even for those frantically doing the work, let alone for those tapping their fingers waiting for a new game to appear!
Fleabum wrote:But we know this isn't Egosofts style. It's the mushroom ethos, keep us in the dark...
Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Vandragorax
x4

Re: Periodic dev updates?

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 11:17

Falcrack wrote:It doesn't have to be at the level of Star Citizen ATV episodes
This is just one of the MANY reasons why Star Citizen is taking YEARS longer than it should have to develop.... absolute lack of focus :D

Egosoft get their heads down and crack on with development which is what they are best at (and what a small team without dedicated marketing people should do). It's great that we've already had so much info, and Bernd & team have been showing us several well put together videos of what's ready so far at a "semi-complete" stage, just lacking some polish and a few working parts.

Patience is a virtue! ;)
Admiral of the Fleet.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:16

Haven't this topic (or very similar ones) already been answered times and times again by the devs?
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:29

Sure, but we can't expect everyone to have seen all of those responses. Thankfully, there are enough people to quote what we've said in the past.

Here's a dev update. I'm currently waiting for X4 to compile, giving me a chance to check the forum. Aaannnd, it's finished. :P

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:32

Xenon_Slayer wrote:I'm currently waiting for X4 to compile...
Ah, the infamous excuse of C++ programmers. Looks like we might be getting longer and longer dev updates the closer it is to release after all.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:43

Xenon_Slayer wrote:Sure, but we can't expect everyone to have seen all of those responses. Thankfully, there are enough people to quote what we've said in the past.

Here's a dev update. I'm currently waiting for X4 to compile, giving me a chance to check the forum. Aaannnd, it's finished. :P
Perfect! That's the level of dev update I was talking about!

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 15:49

radcapricorn wrote:
Ah, the infamous excuse of C++ programmers. Looks like we might be getting longer and longer dev updates the closer it is to release after all.
Today with distcc and ccache it's less and less an excuse :). I remember a few years ago when building WebKit it took several hours (or even an entire night), today I can build it in less than 40 minutes.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 16:31

OT:
Spoiler
Show
blotunga wrote:
radcapricorn wrote: Ah, the infamous excuse of C++ programmers...
Today with distcc and ccache it's less and less an excuse :). I remember a few years ago when building WebKit it took several hours (or even an entire night), today I can build it in less than 40 minutes.
Heh, WebKit. One of the many reasons I went off Gentoo to something that doesn't require me to give up the system for overnight rebuilds.
Realistically though, I don't understand this "oh I want to hear more from the devs". Just look at Paradox dev diaries and the sheet-storm that ensues in those threads, sometimes resulting in devs having to take preventive action. It's just silly. We're already getting streams, screenshots, FAQs, etc. What more is there to know?

Commander_K
x4

Post by Commander_K » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 16:52

radcapricorn wrote:
Indeed.

Umbru
x4

Post by Umbru » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 02:38

I think Ego is doing a great job of the info flow this time around. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more but that is just the part that is desperate for the game to come out and be just what I was hoping for in a new X game.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 02:59

Actually we got more information in one day than we got with whole XR or even X3 AP development ;) I think they give us enough information where we can see where development is going and what will be end game product... All though it wouldn't hurt them to answer some simple questions like how will mining work or crew management. Im hoping game is in early beta so they should have those things finished by now (assuming we are still getting this game this year) ;)
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 11:06

They could also have kept their mouths shut until the game was released and none of us even knew they were working on X4.

Just be patient and they'll let us know what new there is to show us.
Forcing them to setup additional info-sessions will only delay the release of the game.

They already showed us a big amount of info and they're probably creating all the models for all factory-modules, trying to get them to fit properly, making the textures, deciding on production items, times, resources, whatever.

Until that's finished, they cannot show us anything new.
Or would you rather see a black box floating in space and have them say:
- this box will become a solar panel
- that box will become a crystal fab, but we're still deciding if it will be a Small or Medium sized one
- oh, and that box will probably become the shipyard but we're not sure yet

Would you be pleased with such answers? I guess not.
Just let Egosoft do their work and they'll let us know by themselves when there is anything new to show us.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 01:22

PowerPC603 wrote: Until that's finished, they cannot show us anything new.
Of course they can :roll:
But they simply decided not showing it.
It would be very worrying if Ego could not present major progress if they want to.
It is around 6 months since last update. And also 6 months left for 2018.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 03:35

So how does this compare to the timing of announcements leading up to the release of the last game?

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 21:41

LittleBird wrote:
It would be very worrying if Ego could not present major progress if they want to.

Lets hope X4 wont turn into XR but im starting to worry as well too...
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 13:53

Nikola515 wrote:
LittleBird wrote:

Lets hope X4 wont turn into XR but im starting to worry as well too...

It'll be the same Engine as XR, just more refined, things taken out, things added.
From what we've seen, it looks awesome, here's to hoping that modding will be just as satisfying.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 10:17

If they were making XR2 than I wouldn't worry about it. But they are adding new features and changing game mechanics. There is so many things that can go wrong with X4... Also they are celebrating 30 years and they only shown hand full of pictures ??? I find that little bit add and suspicious(I hope I'm just imagining things) . Anyway if game is delayed until next year I don't have problem with it ;)

Return to “X4: Foundations”