Death announcements for persons of note

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 28. May 18, 18:30

Was that meant for this thread, birdtable?

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 28. May 18, 19:00

It was in reference to the death of Ted Dabney and associated history of PC's plus gaming... the start of text and simple graphic adventures/MMO's and the early history of consoles/FPS games etc etc.... All are covered in Series.
Just a reference point..no more no less.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 13:36

Shocked and very sad Anthony Bourdain is dead, found passed away in hotel room in France, he was only 61. I loved his CNN programme Parts Uknown, I thought he was a great presenter.

They say it was suicide.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 14:31

muppetts wrote:Shocked and very sad Anthony Bourdain is dead, found passed away in hotel room in France, he was only 61. I loved his CNN programme Parts Uknown, I thought he was a great presenter.

They say it was suicide.
Yeah, just seen this. I read everything he ever wrote. Gutted right now :( .
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 19:09

muppetts wrote:Shocked and very sad Anthony Bourdain is dead, found passed away in hotel room in France, he was only 61. I loved his CNN programme Parts Uknown, I thought he was a great presenter.

They say it was suicide.
I, too, am upset at hearing of his death. I used to watch his show "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. He had a wonderful, open, style. But, there was always something "else" there. On a personal level, just in regards to himself, there always seemed to be something he was "about to say" but didn't. Maybe that was part of his appeal, but his truly frank and unabashed exploration of the world was surely why people kept tuning in, day after day.

RIP, Tony. Raise a glass, for you're dining in excellent company, I'm sure.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 19:40

Anthony Bourdain, really sad to see him go, nobody did describe what a dysfunctional family a kitchen could be or the madness of the restaurant trade like he did.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 00:36

Morkonan wrote:

They say it was suicide.
I, too, am upset at hearing of his death. I used to watch his show "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. He had a wonderful, open, style. But, there was always something "else" there. On a personal level, just in regards to himself, there always seemed to be something he was "about to say" but didn't. Maybe that was part of his appeal, but his truly frank and unabashed exploration of the world was surely why people kept tuning in, day after day.

RIP, Tony. Raise a glass, for you're dining in excellent company, I'm sure.
He had plenty of dark to him, but it probably came across better in the books than the TV shows.
I can't breathe.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 17:35

Leslie Grantham, who played "Dirty Den" in Eastenders for a number of years, died this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44494734

I'm not a big fan of soaps but thought he was good in the bits I did see of it.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 21:05

Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language, has died

I am not unaware of the significance of posting this in the "Death Announcements for Persons of Note" thread. An "animal" who forced us to question what a "person" is, what "consciousness" is, is worthy of note. And, what eulogy would we give? How would we acknowledge this animal's "achievements?" Or, did it have any at all? Would we wish her Godspeed? Some day, I think we'll be forced to answer some of the questions that she forced us to confront.

Goodbye, Koko. Wish us well.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 23:51

I can't breathe.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 09:20

Morkonan wrote:Koko, the gorilla who mastered sign language, has died

I am not unaware of the significance of posting this in the "Death Announcements for Persons of Note" thread. An "animal" who forced us to question what a "person" is, what "consciousness" is, is worthy of note. And, what eulogy would we give? How would we acknowledge this animal's "achievements?" Or, did it have any at all? Would we wish her Godspeed? Some day, I think we'll be forced to answer some of the questions that she forced us to confront.

Goodbye, Koko. Wish us well.
Probably better person than 90% of the human race :)
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 09:20

Noted SF author Harlan Ellison has died:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/2 ... ison_dies/

Can't say I've read his books, but I've definitely watched TV series he was involved in--the original Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" is one of his, and he was a consultant on Babylon 5 as well.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 22:32

pjknibbs wrote:Noted SF author Harlan Ellison has died:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/2 ... ison_dies/

Can't say I've read his books, but I've definitely watched TV series he was involved in--the original Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" is one of his, and he was a consultant on Babylon 5 as well.

Oh... Oh @$$@.

I'm crushed, right now. Damn death... Ellison was a treasure. Outspoken, bombastic, crude, but undeniably a rich soul with creative genius that few could have matched. His body of work will ensure whatever slight immortality we are capable of grasping. But, his loss can't be measured.

Damn death.

Do not settle for complacency and obscurity. Make your mark. Make something that will outlive you and pour everything you have into that. Make it the best possible part of you. Make it worthy of surviving you. That is the only immortality you can strive for in this Earthly realm, so do it right.

@$%@$!

Damn death.

Edit- Add: This is a beautiful piece in response to Harlan's death. I think he may have approved of it. NPR : Goodbye to Harlan Ellison, America's Weird Uncle

PS - I am much more shaken at this news than any have heard in a great long while. And the bell keeps on tolling.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 02:52

With the loss of Harlan we lost one of
greats.

Harlan yelled so loud everyone
in the lounge stopped talking:

"God save me. If another asshole out there asks
me about that Star Trek episode I'm going
to strangle them!"

Since Harlan sometimes talked with his fists
nobody doubted him.

Because I downloaded it recently for my own collection
here's a free pdf of one of his best short stories:

“ ‘Repent, Harlequin!’ Said the Ticktockman”
(hotlink doesn't work. Cut and paste URL into browser address to dirctly download pdf)
[url]https://compositionawebb.pbworks.com/f/ ... llison.pdf[/url]

The book "A Boy And His Dog" was turned into a major motion pictue with Jason Robards and launched the carrier of a young Don Johnston. It was also (admittedly) the creative muse behind the
FALLOUT video game franchise with the "Lone Wanderer" and his canine companion
traveling in post apocalypse america.

Slighty prophane ( :roll: being respectful of the dead here) and a
tiny bit hot tempered (ditto) he will be missed.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 04:22

Just learned that Richard Harrison passed away on Monday after a long fight with Parkinson's, in case you don't know he is better known as the old man in the TV show Pawn Stars.

R.I.P. Old Man.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 04:27

@ felter

I saw that and was sorry. The guy was double of what my paternal grandfather looked like at that age. Only my grandpa was even more of a cumbmuden.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 1. Jul 18, 15:17

Peter Firmin, one of the people behind much of my childhood TV, has left us. May his passing be this peaceful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045Hxh7IfCU.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 1. Jul 18, 17:01

Rapier wrote:Peter Firmin, one of the people behind much of my childhood TV, has left us.
Sad news...I well remember watching Bagpuss (and the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ, of course!).

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 1. Jul 18, 19:41

Rapier wrote:Peter Firmin, one of the people behind much of my childhood TV, has left us. May his passing be this peaceful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045Hxh7IfCU.
Much loved. :)
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 13. Jul 18, 16:33

See ya later Stig of the Dump :(.
I can't breathe.

Return to “Off Topic English”