Would an in-game option to disable stardust be desirable for X4?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Is an in-game option to disable stardust desirable?

Poll ended at Mon, 9. Jul 18, 03:09

Yes, I'd like it.
29%
No, I'm fine with using a mod for it.
25%
No, I don't want it.
13%
I don't care.
33%

Total votes: 93

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Would an in-game option to disable stardust be desirable for X4?

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 03:09

Seeing as my previous thread went into "oh you can just mod this" mode, and following up on Tamina's suggestion, I'd rather make a simple poll.

For clarity: "stardust" is the tiny particles you see when flying, which serve no other purpose than to give visual hints of your velocity (i.e. direction and speed).

Add your votes, and, if you like, justifications, but please, keep it to the topic. We all know how powerful and awesome modding in X series is already.

This is just a feature request, there's absolutely no guarantees that such option would end up in X4 regardless of this poll's results, but at least it'll help gauge whether or not I'm a lone loon wishing for impossible. I'm setting up the poll to run for 30 days. Hopefully it'll help gather enough data from the community for devs and critics to judge.

My personal vote and justification: yes, I want such an option, as I find this dust an annoyance, it's nature dubious. I can tell where I'm going just fine without it, and would prefer less clutter on an already quite busy screen. I suppose it'd also be beneficial for screenshot glory threads and video recording, be it demos, "let's plays", contests, showcases, etc.
I'd rather it be a built-in option, so that I wouldn't need to learn, ask or otherwise find out how, what and where to change, especially considering that previous games already had all the required functionality, besides option itself, built in.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 13:46

Why not - more option is better than less option and I don't thing it would cost Egosoft much of precious development time.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 14:01

I don't mind seeing the particles. I do sometimes find them quite useful when they show that in fact I'm creeping at low speed (especially in reverse) when I had intended to remain stationary, and also to show when I'm strafing successfully. That's my personal opinion but neither would I mind them being an in-game option.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 14:25

While I find it could be reduced in some way, my opinion is pretty much the same as Alan: I don't find it to be a bother, and it's useful to keep track of less conventional movements and maneuvers.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 14:43

I don't mind but would like to try it at least once.
A toogle or a slider to reduce the effect would be awesome.

That said I am fine using a mod.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 15:17

I always turn it off in space games when it is an option.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 19:35

Not something I'd be interested in, so unless it's an utterly trivial thing to add (i.e. would only take a couple of minutes or so) I'd prefer the devs to focus on more important stuff.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 9. Jun 18, 22:23

GCU Grey Area wrote:Not something I'd be interested in, so unless it's an utterly trivial thing to add (i.e. would only take a couple of minutes or so) I'd prefer the devs to focus on more important stuff.
Second that.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 17:29

By the way, this is the "proper" way of doing a poll.
No leading question and neutral answers covering the probable responses.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 06:16

I don't care.

I tried out a stardust removal mod back in X3R and it didn't have any effect on my experience.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 12:35

The old always present stardust ist defined in one .xml for a modder changing such things takes 5min.

If Devs add a game option we have a lua ui some .xml 's and may be even hardcode involved, modding this carnage takes months creating it takes many hours and can interfere with other things creating nasty bugs.

logic result: I DON'T WANT SUCH AN OPTION, I RATHER MOD IT MYSELF.
but I want a custommenu like in X3 that works without lua edits but just xml changes.
we don't need much here just a list of:
buttons
sliders
spaces
headings
some mouseover helptext
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 14:53

ubuntufreakdragon, so the logic is you don't want an in-game option that removes a need for a mod... because it will be difficult to mod that option?.. What for? I don't even...

This is exactly why the old thread was restarted as a poll. You modding wizards tend to overcomplicate things. Especially those that do not exist yet ;)

It's been going well so far, kudos to linolafett for that observation. Hopefully we'll keep on track still.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 15:01

Just for clarity and to prevent the thread being derailed into a modding/modders discussion, what ubuntufreakdragon is saying (in my opinion) is that an aspect of the game that is rather trivial to mod (for an experienced modder) could yet require substantial work for the devs to implement properly as an in-game option - and that extra option could even trigger other unforeseen in-game side-effects with say the UI.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 15:43

And don't forget about Nebulas and such things simmilar to stardust, if you make stardust complicated simmilar things tend to become complicated, too.
And if I want to mod in some nice green nebula with small dust clouds touching the ship, or I want to remove exactly these nebula clouds, I would have much more work with such an option.
Last edited by ubuntufreakdragon on Wed, 13. Jun 18, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 17:04

I couldn't care less about the "dust" particles, but PLEASE don't include the dense "fog" that pervaded about a third of the sectors in X3:TC. It simply makes no sense to have "fog" in large sections of space, and if there is a local anomaly that holds that much dust in some kind of "orbit" around a gravitational object, it should be problematic for the ship in other respects: like sandpaper grinding down the hull surface.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 19:36

Stardust is ok imo it's the lens flare on things like engines I don't like it's too much and ruins the gfx just like no one likes it when JJ Abrams did it in startrek 09. It's just unneeded and you can't actually see them unless you wear glasses.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 13. Jun 18, 02:05

I disable stardust in every space game where it is an option. Unfortunately, not every space game offers that. It would be a shame if X4 were one of those that did not. But, if not, then modding it out will be one of my first priorities.

Veeshan
x3ap

Post by Veeshan » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 00:35

I'm fine with it being left for the modders, but only if it would cost development time. I can't imagine it'd be that tough, though.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 19:56

Honved wrote:I couldn't care less about the "dust" particles, but PLEASE don't include the dense "fog" that pervaded about a third of the sectors in X3:TC. It simply makes no sense to have "fog" in large sections of space, and if there is a local anomaly that holds that much dust in some kind of "orbit" around a gravitational object, it should be problematic for the ship in other respects: like sandpaper grinding down the hull surface.

It's not just that, the Frames Per Second in the likes of the Kha'ak Station, (Despite Optimization) Is still pretty laggy.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 08:11