2018 FIFA World Cup

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How interested are you in this World Cup?

Poll ended at Thu, 12. Jul 18, 22:49

I'll be watching as many games as I can.
24%
I'll be watching the games my country plays in.
15%
I'll be following everything live online (text & clips) or on radio.
2%
I'll read reports about my team's games and the big games.
2%
I'll absorb what I see/hear, but I won't go looking for anything.
24%
I'm planning a holiday to the far side of the moon to get away from it.
32%

Total votes: 41

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 22:41

clakclak wrote:What a game. Spain and Portugal both looked super strong.
All three of today's games had result-changing goals in the last few minutes, though this seems to be the only one that was worth watching for the other 85 minutes (but I was still watching the Women's Tour of Britain highlights).

Ronaldo is particularly annoying - he can do that* with a free kick, but he refuses to pay his taxes.

*UK only
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 23:23

As a neutral the Portugal Spain game was great to watch :). But jeez.... De Gea...
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 02:41

Bishop149 wrote:https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/14/f ... al-attack/

Oh FFS . . . . already?
The thing has barely even started yet
I would like to point out that ... as of now the only 'source' of this attack was an unverified/anonymous telegram channel. Both French and British embassies had stated that have heard nothing about the attack or the victim.

Not saying it's not true and the official can be just late on the uptake ... but I think there is reason you haven't seen this headlight on more respectable media outlets. The article linked also seem to be poor an quality, with 2 short paragraph doing little more than pointed to the unverified source with little substance about the incident itself. The rest of the article is little more than window dressing from what I see. So, might want to hold to your fire a bit for now. ;)
RegisterMe wrote:As a neutral the Portugal Spain game was great to watch :). But jeez.... De Gea...
I'm a ManU fan so it kinda sad to see him like this. At club level he's definitely one of the best if not the best GK in the world. Yet he always seem uncomfortable with the national team for some reason :(

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 03:58

My own response perhaps reflects an over 40 Usenko . . ;)

I won't give a tinker's cuss what happens (although there will be mild satisfaction if Australia achieves anything interesting). However, I will passively enjoy the event through the joy it gives many of my friends who are into it. I'll accept it as being like my own interest in D&D and other role-playing games - something that's great fun if it's your thing, and not to be mocked by those for whom it isn't.

(Last world cup I was the biggest scrooge ever, so I guess this constitutes maturity. . . ;) ).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 15:39

I watched the end of the Portugal/Spain game while waiting on some car repairs. Most of the 'Muricans waiting in the waiting room watched attentively, but didn't understand what they were watching. :)

It must be hard to be a soccer/football fan. It takes a lot more energy, since one has to yell and cheer almost constantly for the entire game...

(Great finish to that game! Though, the 'tender should have put in a bit more of a professional effort on that penalty kick, IMO.)

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 15:55

"'tender"? I think you mean goalkeeper?

EDIT: Believe it or not De Gea is one of the best goalies in the world, that was a real howler.
I can't breathe.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 18:09

By the logic vibe in this thread everyone should boycott everything in US because there people mass shoot other people dead on a regular basis.
The French were apparently beaten by two Dagestani, whether it was homophobia or simple mugging we don't know. Even if it was, we don't know if the beating was provoked. Given the migrant situation in Europe one has to wonder at the French guys behavior. The Englishman was allegedly piss drunk and can't remember much of anything, which sort of short circuits the whole story. In any case, you make it into something that never happens anywhere else, which is appalingly and obviously not the case.
If you're gonna make jabs, get your facts straight please. Especially if you've never been to Russia. Otherwise you just look like morons buying into a sleazy bait article.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 18:44

Having a bad day? Replies from two people reacting to the news posted above, from which one already questioned the credibility of the source, do not define the "logic vibe" of the whole thread, and of the other posters who speak about football. For the USA and everything related we already have plenty of other threads in the OT forum, and we will certainly have one in 2026 when they get "their" World Cup.

---------------------

Argentina vs. Iceland: 1:1, with Messi missing a penatly. Not the best start for Argentina, especially as they had enough chances to make a second goal. Will be interesting to see, if Iceland can manage to reach the round of 16.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 16. Jun 18, 19:05

X2-Illiminatus, not really a bad day, no. Just getting fed up with the whole boogey man hypocrisy pertaining to recent discussions in these OT forums, including, but not exclusive to, this thread. Why did it even have to seep in into a football thread, I don't even want to think about. I didn't claim it was of the whole thread, I said it was present in it, and am genuinely upset about it. But I guess half a decade of active non-stop hatemongering can't go without consequences, now can it?

Speaking of Iceland, 30 thousand people are in Russia, and apparently having a great time. For the record, that's just under a tenth of the whole population of Iceland. Those guys came for the football, and are having a ball, pun intended. Headline from that same cheesy media though? "'Russian Ultras should be scared’ Army of '30,000' Icelandic Vikings TAKE OVER Moscow". I wonder why (no, not really, for you literal types).

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 19:16

Today I learned there is a suprising number of Mexicans living in my City here in Germany.

Well played Mexico, now I just hope the next two games will go our (Germany) way.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 19:33

Good game though, even if Germany seemed a bit lost and Mexico would go and mess up many times in the last 3rd (so many chances).

Looking forward to Brazil's game in half an hour.

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 20:05

RegisterMe wrote:"'tender"? I think you mean goalkeeper?

EDIT: Believe it or not De Gea is one of the best goalies in the world, that was a real howler.
Yeah, I should have written "keeper."

I am sure any armchair criticisms I would offer would likely be, at best, "unstudied." I played a little in Junior High. (Halfback) But, the manufacturer didn't build this particular model for running around all day. :)

Soccer/Football is becoming more popular in the US, but it's not yet up to the point where it's going to really support a vibrant national league. We do have one, though, and its growing in popularity. We'll have to figure out how to fit it into our Football/Baseball schedule.

Just a note for someone that doesn't watch a lot of soccer - Even a novice can, if they're paying attention, see how plays develop, overdevelop, or judge a team's ability to respond on defense or attack, all very easily. The game is a constant source of input for the fans/viewers. That's one advantage, I suppose - Constant stimulation. With little in the way of pauses in the action, fans are steadily fed a diet of input.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 22:05

Morkonan wrote: The game is a constant source of input for the fans/viewers. That's one advantage, I suppose - Constant stimulation. With little in the way of pauses in the action, fans are steadily fed a diet of input.
That's one reason I can not watch American football after I got here, so much interruption. In soccer a 45min half at worst will be dragged to 50min if there is a lot of pause. 48min tend to be the norm. Then you get a 15min break, than another 45 of games. In the knock out stage the two extra halfs go for 15min each with a 5min break in between.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 23:27

And now Brazil can't beat Switzerland. Maybe there's hope for us!

(Whoever 'us' might be ;) )
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 01:11

Whoever or whichever? Interesting question!
I can't breathe.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 02:24

There is a running joke right now that it's a good thing for England that Germany is the first European team to lose today, because England gonna play tomorrow. :D

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 10:34

Ketraar wrote:Good game though, even if Germany seemed a bit lost and Mexico would go and mess up many times in the last 3rd (so many chances).
Not the best game to watch as a German fan. Not sure what the German team played there. Except for 10 or 15 minutes near the end of the second half, they showed a certain lack of commitment, as they always made the same mistakes. Mexico was certainly the deserved winner. If they played their counter situations a bit better, they may have even be able to score a second goal.
This is quite the new situation for the German team. Usually, we win the first match of the group phase, lose the second, and win the third. We'll see how this works out for us this time.
Mightysword wrote:There is a running joke right now that it's a good thing for England that Germany is the first European team to lose today, because England gonna play tomorrow.
I think the English team is in a good situation anyhow. They have a young team, which played a very good qualification, but are not among the favourites. Also after the disappointing last tournaments, expectactions are rather low. That means they can play without that much pressure. If they do not manage to reach the round of the last 16, then they at least won some experience for the next tournaments. Once the reach the round of the last 16, they are already better than the team at the World Cup 2014.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 10:59

X2-Illuminatus wrote:This is quite the new situation for the German team. Usually, we win the first match of the group phase, lose the second, and win the third. We'll see how this works out for us this time.
Its Germany, so I expect them to get their act together and somehow find themselves at least in quarter-finals. If anything else, someone has to take Italy's place in stumbling to the finals, we did it in 2016, dont think we'll be doing it this time. :D

MFG

Ketraar

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 18:22

Commentator Mark Lawrenson's awful cynical waffling whinging doesn't exactly help..

..egads, what dreadful, meaningless piffle the man comes out with..!! :evil:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 22:11

Worthy victory for England, but crikey the Tunisians were cynical. And where was VAR?
I can't breathe.

Return to “Off Topic English”