Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 19:10

It must be on now since the store page is inaccessible atm. :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 19:14

Gonna be the first sale I'm looking forward to after a while. Finally have something I want to buy instead of just impulse like usual.

Edit: it's up. :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 22:00

Mightysword wrote:Gonna be the first sale I'm looking forward to after a while. Finally have something I want to buy instead of just impulse like usual.

Edit: it's up. :D
What are you gonna get?! :)

It may be worth starting a Steam Summer Sale thread.

(Once again, Rimworld is not on sale... :/ I don't really care about "sale's prices" but, by now, it's just the principle of the thing.)

PS - If anyone has any good "building sim" recommendations, I'm all eyes. I have several, like SimCity IV, Gnomoria, Banished, Prison Architect, Roller Coaster Tycoon et al, the Anno stuff, etc.. I'm still looking for the perfect, GUI version of a Dwarf Fortress game. Gnomoria without the bugs would be ideal. Sadly... bugs. :/

Been enjoying the heck out of Prison Architect, lately, so will probably finally break down and get Rimworld, even if it isn't on sale.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 22:05

Morkonan wrote:PS - If anyone has any good "building sim" recommendations, I'm all eyes. I have several, like SimCity IV, Gnomoria, Banished, Prison Architect, Roller Coaster Tycoon et al, the Anno stuff, etc.. I'm still looking for the perfect, GUI version of a Dwarf Fortress game. Gnomoria without the bugs would be ideal. Sadly... bugs. :/

Been enjoying the heck out of Prison Architect, lately, so will probably finally break down and get Rimworld, even if it isn't on sale.
You should have gotten RimWorld yesterday! This game is amazing but the prize you pay is not the money, it is the many hours of your life getting consumed. Like in the dark ages also known as Minecraft.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 22:14

Tamina wrote:...You should have gotten RimWorld yesterday! This game is amazing but the prize you pay is not the money, it is the many hours of your life getting consumed. Like in the dark ages also known as Minecraft.
This, I know... I am addicted to watching Aavak's Rimworld vids. :) I've been watching this game forever, now it's just the matter of committing myself. It's like wanting to find out what is at the bottom of a cliff, "the hard way."

I, too, was a Mincraft addict before the "sale" to They Who Must Not Be Named. I haven't updated my copy since then, but haven't played it in a long time. Spent many hours playing that "Don't Fall in the Lava" game. :)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 23:04

Morkonan wrote: What are you gonna get?! :)
Just dropped 50$ on Legend of Heroes: Trail of Cold Steel I&II. :D

PS - If anyone has any good "building sim" recommendations, I'm all eyes. I have several, like SimCity IV, Gnomoria, Banished, Prison Architect, Roller Coaster Tycoon et al, the Anno stuff, etc.. I'm still looking for the perfect, GUI version of a Dwarf Fortress game. Gnomoria without the bugs would be ideal. Sadly... bugs. :/
Notice you have Roller Coaster Tycoon - aka the fail imposter - but not Planet Coaster - aka the true successor. So there is that. Gonna assume you Cities:Skylines is part of your "...etc..." . Ofworld Trading Company if you want a quick but intense building/managing Sims. Beyond that not much really. There is Planetbase, which is something like a Banished lite in space, except a bit shallow but for the price, it's worth at least some entertainment.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 23:54

Mightysword wrote:...Notice you have Roller Coaster Tycoon - aka the fail imposter - but not Planet Coaster - aka the true successor. So there is that. Gonna assume you Cities:Skylines is part of your "...etc..." . Ofworld Trading Company if you want a quick but intense building/managing Sims. Beyond that not much really. There is Planetbase, which is something like a Banished lite in space, except a bit shallow but for the price, it's worth at least some entertainment.
Don't have a rig that can run Planet Coaster to my satisfaction, yet. (My tabletop PC rig is basically dead. I'll rebuild it once I get my basement repair/renovation done.) I have RC III-Platinum, which is arguably the best roller-coaster sim, ever, before Planet Coaster. :) (Some would say it's still better, though doesn't look as good.) Skylines looks good, but might not be deep enough for me, though I know some posters here really like it. Offworld Trading does hold some interests, though. I just need to look into it a bit deeper. Planetbase has always been appealing, but there were some bugs awhile back when I looked at it and its depth is a bit questionable. Still, probably a decent game on sale. (Some of the bugs that it had, not sure if it still has them, were just plain stupid to find in that sort of game, casting some doubt on the dev's competence, IMO.)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 00:31

Morkonan wrote: Skylines looks good, but might not be deep enough for me, though I know some posters here really like it. Offworld Trading does hold some interests, though.
You should really try Skylines. It has enough meat on it beyond the base game now. Yes, depth wise it's no Simcity 4, but at the same time, I feel it's the kind of game that how much depth and challenge you can perceive will mostly depend on how far you want to push. Sure, create a successfully and well running city in Skylines is easier than in Simcity4 but only if that's your farthest goal. Create a well looking, interesting, or come up with a novelty layout ... and keep thing functional on top of that? Yeah, not exactly easy. And the thing is, the game has the infrastructure to let your imaginations and creativeness go wild. Samething with Planet Coaster, it doesn't have the same sim depth as RC3, but the creative toolbox make the sky is the limit ... which is kinda why I couldn't quite get into it, I'm not good at creativeness. :shock:

Also Skylines has a very big modding community, so it can go the The Elder Scroll way really fast if you don't hold yourself back. :P

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 00:38

I've been dragging my feet on both of those titles for so long that I'll probably go ahead and get them if the discount is incentive enough. We'll see...

My finger is hovering over the "Purchase" button for Rimworld, right now... It's quivering. I'm getting muscle spams, even though it's not on sale. /shivers

I won't likely be able to actually play PCoaster or CSkylines for a little while, yet, until I get a decent rig. Still in the planning stages on building that box.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 00:41

Morkonan wrote: My finger is hovering over the "Purchase" button for Rimworld, right now... It's quivering. I'm getting muscle spams, even though it's not on sale. /shivers
Do it! Something something principle something something. :D :P :wink:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 01:13

Mightysword wrote:
Morkonan wrote: My finger is hovering over the "Purchase" button for Rimworld, right now... It's quivering. I'm getting muscle spams, even though it's not on sale. /shivers
Do it! Something something principle something something. :D :P :wink:
ROFL! ;)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 22:00

Mightysword wrote:...Just dropped 50$ on Legend of Heroes: Trail of Cold Steel I&II. :D
I looked this up to see what it was.

I didn't know Japanese schoolgirl uniforms required leather corsets and garter belts... (It does look "tame" though, in that regard, as I didn't see any panty-flash pics. :) )

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 03:39

Morkonan wrote: I didn't know Japanese schoolgirl uniforms required leather corsets and garter belts...
They don't. This is the actual sailor uniform. As you can see it looks pretty bland and ... uninteresting, unbefitting of a video game. What you see is pretty standard stock anime design. And I'm pretty sure it's done more on the cute side rather then intended to be sexy.

(It does look "tame" though, in that regard, as I didn't see any panty-flash pics. :) )
And there is none, at least traditionally not with this series. JRPG and even anime for that matter, are usually very specific in its presentation toward the target audience. The fan service is either there in amber supply , or none at all. And this is actually a very long running series dated back to the Super Famicom, Saturn, PSX era. And it still retain many of the prestige of that era: extremely story driven and very deep character development.

I haven't looked at the media for this particular arc "Trails of Cold steel" to avoid spoiling myself. But take look at this trailer for the previous arc Trails in the Sky. From it CGI, design to gameplay you'll have a pretty good idea what the game is about. If you're an old JRPG fan like me, it's one of the few place to call home. :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 03:56

I haven't played any JRPG since the old PS1+2 days. I can't remember which ones I played. One was especially memorable, too. Oh, and I don't count the "Castlevania" series in that genre. I'm a huge old-school Castlevania fan - One of the best games ever made, ever... Symphony of the Night was probably my favorite. So much... stuff to do. It's available for XBox, too, which is interesting.

And, am about to punch the "Purchase" button on darn Rimworld, dangit. Just trying to figure out how the Name in Game thing works and if I want to do that, too. :)

"Morkonan - Retired Space Tyrant, Mostly Harmless" ;)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 04:03

Thought about checking my Steam library after not logging in for over a year. Seems I don't have either an account nor a library anymore. Gee thanks Steam. Like I didn't have reason to hate you enough already. Hope those anti-trust and class action suits eat you for lunch you magots on the corpse of PC gaming!

:lol: You anal cavities!
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 04:12

Morkonan wrote:I haven't played any JRPG since the old PS1+2 days. I can't remember which ones I played. One was especially memorable, too.
I recommend checking out the 2 Trails in the Sky series if that's the case. You'll feel right at home. If you look at the review for these games, you will see there is a reason why all of them have overwhelming positive review rate for both long term and short term data.

Frankly their story quality is a reason why I haven't really gotten into more modern RPG in general, since I consider they lack certain substance, even among tittles like Final Fantasy. Grand? Yes, but somehow also hollow and empty. These old school RPG are more personal and heart walming. I cried during that series, and it wasn't because someone was dying. Something that modern writers seem don't know how to do. The experience is a lot of more holistic.

And just to tell you the level that you can expect. This series Trails of Cold Steel are divided into 4 arc.
- I suspect the one you just looked up is the first: you play with a cast of fledgling students recently admitted to a military academy.
-The second arc put the cast to the front line of battle.
- The third arc still have you play the same character, but now a decorated war heroes and acting instructor of the very same class that you started out in, protecting and guiding the next generation. Your old comrades (classmates) spread out across the country holding important positions.

And they actually have a 4th arc planned beyond that. Each arc is a stand alone game that by themselves are already longer than most games these day. And you see all happen in between, their grown, their development, even falling in love ...etc... Needless to say, it's hard to find games that are this expansive these day. Mass Effect was great, and there is a lot of relationship grown there, Garult is my favorite. But even then I would consider it static, like the Sheppard in ME1 is the same Sheppard in ME3. But here, you pretty much see someone as a teenage through his journey into adulthood.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure your toaster can run them too. :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 04:28

Mightysword wrote:...Oh, and I'm pretty sure your toaster can run them too. :D
It is not a toaster!

It's... an old warrior, suffering from old wounds, hard-won in glorious victories! It has deserved its rest, but there may yet be one final battle to come...

Old Warrior

JRPG's aren't really my thing. One issue is that the UI tends to suffer and isn't always intuitive from a Western Gamer's point of view. Another is that some of the "gripping storyline" isn't really that "gripping." Some of the characters seem a bit too self-obsessed, as well.

"I AM RIGHT!"

<hyah! hooah! hnngggh awh wha!>

[VICTORY!]

I AM VICTORIOUS! I AM THE BEST!

"But, you should be care, young one, there are dangers the outside place, outside forests and area."

I WILL CONQUER THEY!

<hyah! hooah! hngggggh ha!>

[VICTORY!]

ACHIEVEMENT! LEVEL ONE!

<play cinematic level-up animation, increase volume 50%, play victory music>

I AM VICTORIOUS! I AM THE BEST!

<roto-scope victory-camera-pan, raise weapon animation>

[You have died to Level One Effect Poison 1. Loading, wait...]

:)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 04:46

Just for you my man

And mean, this is WHY I love JRPG. But yeah, this series is a lot less crinngy than that. What you said belong to another school of JRGP that deal with angst and stuff, some people like that, I don't. Kinda the reason why I'm still able to stick with this series even now that I'm a middle age adult. :)

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 08:48

Might be worth a seperate thread for this chat!

Shadowrun Returns is free on the Humble store
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 09:20

Don't remember who on this thread turned me on to
Humble Bundles, but I'm glad they did.

:lol:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”