[Discussion] Rebirth Tools

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Phipsz
x4

Post by Phipsz » Thu, 12. Mar 15, 17:51

Now that X:R is released as alpha for Linux/SteamOS, will we see the tools coming there soon as well? I would really like to be able to test the alpha while not having to reboot to windows for updating my mods, let alone unpacking the archives of the main game to see what may have changed.

kelmenwong
x3tc

Post by kelmenwong » Wed, 15. Jul 15, 14:55

is there a doc to tell how to use the catalog tool?

like the "create diff" button

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Fri, 17. Jul 15, 21:32

@Ketraar or to the moderators,

I don't know if Ketraar still looks in here. Just read through the X Rebirth Official Tools thread, and stumbled upon this line:
Ketraar wrote:There is no mechanism like the MD refresh to update AI scripts at run-time. Saving and reloading the game is the only way to get close to this.
Someone might want to update that. This isn't true anymore since the relatively new "refreshai" command, is it?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 17. Jul 15, 23:24

Phipsz wrote:Now that X:R is released as alpha for Linux/SteamOS, will we see the tools coming there soon as well? I would really like to be able to test the alpha while not having to reboot to windows for updating my mods, let alone unpacking the archives of the main game to see what may have changed.
the format of the cats/dats is pretty simple, i think a bash script with dd and some string magic should be enough to extract them:

format of cat:
each line is a file and has the following entries seperated by a space:
file name ; file size in bytes ; modification time (unix date) ; checksum (i think its an md5)
note that the file name may contain spaces, too - so size is the 3rd entry from the end of the line, not the second from the beginning (in most cases its the same, but not in all)
for extracting the first two are enough since you can generate the dat this way:
cat file1 file2 file3 ... fileN > files.dat
(yes, they are simply slapped together)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Phipsz
x4

Post by Phipsz » Sun, 9. Aug 15, 23:22

UniTrader wrote:
Phipsz wrote:Now that X:R is released as alpha for Linux/SteamOS, will we see the tools coming there soon as well? I would really like to be able to test the alpha while not having to reboot to windows for updating my mods, let alone unpacking the archives of the main game to see what may have changed.
the format of the cats/dats is pretty simple, i think a bash script with dd and some string magic should be enough to extract them:

format of cat:
each line is a file and has the following entries seperated by a space:
file name ; file size in bytes ; modification time (unix date) ; checksum (i think its an md5)
note that the file name may contain spaces, too - so size is the 3rd entry from the end of the line, not the second from the beginning (in most cases its the same, but not in all)
for extracting the first two are enough since you can generate the dat this way:
cat file1 file2 file3 ... fileN > files.dat
(yes, they are simply slapped together)
I don't feel like bash-scripting atm :) but yeah, I already had a look at the file strucure before, it's not hard.
what I'm still interested in would be the upload/update tool, so that I could totally switch to linux for everything
related to X. That's also actually my main reason to have stopped modding X:R atm, I only switch to windows iff I
can't really avoid it.

TLDR; So, will the modding tools come to linux eventually? I don't need an ETA, just would really like to know

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Thu, 13. Aug 15, 22:51

Hello guys. Who will tell. I try to download the Steam mod and get the error 25.

Code: Select all

e:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\X Rebirth Tools>WorkshopTool publish -path "..\X
 Rebirth\extensions\hunter" -preview "..\X Rebirth\extensions\hunter\extensions_preview.jpg"
X Rebirth Workshop Tool Version 1.04
Copyright (c) 2014 EGOSOFT
Dongle firmware E:\Games\Steam/controller_base/d0ggle.bin loaded, version 143586
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 282160
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198124670408 [API loaded no]
Logged in as user 
Loading data...

Creating new Workshop item
  Local path: e:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\X Rebirth\extensions\hunter
  Title: 'hunter'
  Description:
  Folder name: 'hunter'
  Initial version number: 1.31
  Author: 'alexalsp '
  Save state: No (You confirm that removing the extension does not break saves)

Dependencies:
  (None)

Files ready for upload (in addition to content.xml):
  Preview file: ..\X Rebirth\extensions\hunter\extensions_preview.jpg

ext_01.cat
  ext_01.dat

By submitting this item you agree to the Workshop terms of service.
(To see the agreement, type '??? showagreement' on the command line.)

Start upload to the Steam cloud (y/n)? y

You can abort the process with Ctrl+C.
Preparing...
Saving Workshop item preview image...
Saving Workshop item content...
Uploading Workshop item preview image, please wait...
Uploading Workshop item content, please wait...
ERROR: Could not upload file to Steam Workshop, error code 25
Cleaning up...
Done.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Thu, 13. Aug 15, 23:23

Hey alexalsp, long time no see.

Not sure, but I found this thread for a different game from someone who was having a problem similar to yours:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=3072263

Issue there appeared to be file size.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 13. Aug 15, 23:33

if thats the issue: depending on whats inside your mod it may be enough to split it into multiple cats/dats where each of them is smaller than the limit ;) (but only if no individual file in your mod is larger than that) - you cannt let the workshop tool do this though, you have to create the cats/dats on your own.

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Fri, 14. Aug 15, 10:34

Hello w.evans / UniTrader
A lot of work., too little time.

Thanks for the link, but the size of mod 300 kb . And I can not understand the reasons this error. May try to to reinstall the client.?

=============

Reinstall the client has not helped.

I can not update and upload new mod. :cry:

emptyhead41

Post by emptyhead41 » Sat, 26. Mar 16, 20:00

Recently got Rebirth on GOG, and looking forward to modding. Unfortnately cannot find any info about xrcattool except through steam.

I know I'm in a severe minority, but I cannot tolerate Steam. Is it available anywhere else or have I made a mistake buying this through GOG :(

I have already tried the community cat tool, but it crashes when attemping extract and doesn't appear to be active any more.

Any help appreciated. Also a quick mention to the devs - this game is an underrated gem. I'm so glad I tried it. :)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 26. Mar 16, 22:01

emptyhead41 wrote:Recently got Rebirth on GOG, and looking forward to modding. Unfortnately cannot find any info about xrcattool except through steam.

I know I'm in a severe minority, but I cannot tolerate Steam. Is it available anywhere else or have I made a mistake buying this through GOG :(

I have already tried the community cat tool, but it crashes when attemping extract and doesn't appear to be active any more.

Any help appreciated. Also a quick mention to the devs - this game is an underrated gem. I'm so glad I tried it. :)
Read PM

[Tool][Windows/Linux] XRWSunpack - Unpack downloaded from Steam Workshop mods

emptyhead41

Post by emptyhead41 » Sat, 26. Mar 16, 22:11

Perfect - thank you.

Modding is not as well documented as I was hoping so got some reading and experimenting to do, but now I can start looking into the files at least :)

SeanWH
x4

Post by SeanWH » Sat, 18. Jun 16, 21:06

Well, as some one else who bought the game on GOG--I too would like to know where I can get the modding tools as I refuse to buy this game on Steam as well.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 18. Jun 16, 21:12

you dont need to buy the Game on Steam to access them ;) having the Windows Steam Client and a Steam Acc is enough afaik since its seperate from the Game. You can even transfer the Programm between Computers afterwards (using the Cat Tool on Linux via Wine here ;) )

SeanWH
x4

Post by SeanWH » Sat, 18. Jun 16, 21:22

Unfortunately you do. They don't even show up in Steam Tools directory, and if I click the install link in the official post regarding the Mod Tools, nothing happens.

S0ulstr34m
x4

Post by S0ulstr34m » Sun, 24. Jun 18, 22:11

Are there any tools out there that will compare 2 XML files and automatically generate the XML patching code that is required for the mod pack?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 25. Jun 18, 11:32

I use ComparIt! for comparing files, but I dont think it has the automatic patching code.

MFG

Ketraar

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 25. Jun 18, 11:39

I'm not aware of any tools that produce XML Patch as output from a file difference operation. The only tricky part, however, is getting the path syntax right for the add or replace operation. The rest is just a question of pasting the new or replacement XML within the patch node.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 21:17

not sure if i still have it, but i had a cli programm which did this.. but i dont consider it useable because its XPaths looked like this:
<add sel="/*[1]/*[5]/*[3]/*[7]/*[2]"><stuff/><add>

this might work for patching a specific file in a specific version, but everything else will very likely fail.. or mess everything up instead of gracefully not applying changes and writing an error to the log...

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”