Will X4 work with network? Will we play with friends like in EliteDangerous?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

svr
xr

Will X4 work with network? Will we play with friends like in EliteDangerous?

Post by svr » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 10:44

It will be not bad to fly with friends in game x4 in Open mode (network).
Now i play in EliteDangerous and in this game that mode was realized.
Dier developers. Can you add this mode in your new X4?
Thank you so much. Who can tell me something about it?

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 23. Jun 18, 12:21

Not gonna happen.
See Q&A.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Sun, 24. Jun 18, 16:13

It was said a million times before:
Egosoft doesn't have the resources to implement network capabilities into their games.
Elite Dangerous has a large team to develop it, Egosoft has about 10 people IIRC.

Modifying X4 at this point means a complete rewrite of the current code because there is nothing in there to support any networking systems.
It has been asked since X2: The Threat to have some form of mutiplayer and their answer is still NO.
Limited funds, limited amount of developers, limited time.

Given the time it has taken them to develop X4, multiply that by 2 at least.
So that would mean X4 with multiplayer would be available somewhere in 2025 or so, if they would do it.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Tue, 26. Jun 18, 20:45

PowerPC603 wrote:Egosoft doesn't have the resources to implement network capabilities into their games.
Elite Dangerous has a large team to develop it, Egosoft has about 10 people IIRC.
The thing is : in Elite:Dangerous most Ai ships are not real persistent entities, unlike ships in X-games. In Elite:Dangerous, if no player is around any ai ships the server can simply disable/remove them and spawn new ships when a player enters the area. The same thing is not possible for X games since the games economy is based on everything (stations and ships) being "real" and persistent.

Constantly replicating the servers state of all stations and all ships to all players would require to shovel tons of data between all connected players and huge added CPU load for everyone, i'm not sure if that's feasable for most players.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 06:10

Rei Ayanami wrote:
PowerPC603 wrote:Egosoft doesn't have the resources to implement network capabilities into their games.
The thing is : in Elite:Dangerous most Ai ships are not real persistent entities, unlike ships in X-games. In Elite:Dangerous, if no player is around any ai ships the server can simply disable/remove them and spawn new ships when a player enters the area. The same thing is not possible for X games since the games economy is based on everything (stations and ships) being "real" and persistent.
This is thing that bugs me the most about Elite. Have a full cargo full of rare or valuable goods? AI pirates magically get wind of your load and will try to interdict you for sure, becuase it is nothing more than a simple subroutine that spawns a pirate on top of you if your cargo holds goods above a certain value. That is not the type of immersive gameplay I want from a space trading game.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 10:12

Please keep the Elite Dangerous gameplay discussions for the Off Topic forum thanks. We'll let this thread sink now since the OP's question has been answered and there are other active X4 mulitiplayer/co-op threads just now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”