Brexit

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 17:06

Next up Liam Fox please, contemptible little numbnut that he is.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 18:41

What a ****show, Lord Buckethead had the right of it

My own predilections towards remain are well documented but I still can't understand how even the most ardent Brexiteer could look that this absolute calamity and think "Yep, this is what I wanted, full steam ahead to freedom!!"

Latest is rumours from Westminster is that the requisite amount of letters has gone into 1922 committee (due to meet tonight, what a coincidence!) to trigger a Tory leadership vote.
So May might be gone by the morning.
RegisterMe wrote:Next up Liam Fox please, contemptible little numbnut that he is.
Please! Refer to him by his proper title, it's "Disgraced former minister Liam Fox"
No Mr Fox, some of us haven't forgotten about the time you used your position as defence secretary to broker arms deals on behalf of your best friend.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 20:16

It's just nice to know that Conservative MPs of all stripes have one thing in common--not one of them gives a withered crap for the country they supposedly represent, and would rather see the whole place burn than allow anything remotely differing from their personal agenda to get anywhere. It was this attitude that started the whole thing, when David Cameron thought he'd try and shut up the Euro-sceptics in his party by calling the referendum without considering for a nanosecond the potential consequences for the country.

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 20:20

felter wrote:While May is a week PM ...
I like the misspelling here - it seems to speak a deeper truth :) (At least, we can hope can't we).

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 20:47

So, with only months to go to a fixed deadline and an increasingly belligerent negotiation party on the other side, we willingly decide to substitute all the key players in the home team and start over again down some as yet unknown future strategy. The present incumbents may not be the best at what they do, but they are what we have just now. Yes, I can see this upheaval working ever so well for us. [/irony] :(

Whatever happened to the power of the PM not to accept resignations of convenience but to insist that minions see their duties through to at least some form of conclusion or holding point before falling on their swords and saying 'I told you so' - hopefully then at a time when it becomes far less damaging or relevant to the nation?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 22:10

Alan Phipps wrote: Whatever happened to the power of the PM not to accept resignations of convenience but to insist that minions see their duties through to at least some form of conclusion or holding point before falling on their swords and saying 'I told you so' - hopefully then at a time when it becomes far less damaging or relevant to the nation?
Even assuming such a power ever existed, which I'm not sure it did, you'd still be faced with two critical issues:

1) Only a strong PM could get away with doing something like this. Theresa May is not that PM.

2) You can't force someone to do a job they don't want to do, and you certainly can't force them to do a *good* job. Keeping these guys in post would be far riskier than swapping them out for someone else.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 22:15

Well one good thing so far - at least all my medic friends will be celebrating.
I can't breathe.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 22:41

pjknibbs wrote:
As for Brexit being a shambles, that's kind of what happens when you call a referendum so confident of getting one result that you don't make any sort of plans for what happens if you get the other.
Well said! Chaos like that was to be expected from a life-changing referendum result 51.89:48.11 (which is just 1.0786).

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 9. Jul 18, 22:51

..and they've exploited that division ever since.. :(
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 15:07

Well it looks like May will live to fight another day.
TBH I think the only reason for her continued survival is the inability / unwillingness of the Tory Brexiteers to get the act together.
They are incredibly quick to shoot down any proposed plan as too soft but have not once proposed an alternative, workable or otherwise. . . . NOTHING just [crickets]

This is because they are just playing politics. They want to be seen as the champions of democracy courageously upholding the "will of the people" whilst avoiding any and all responsibility for what said people actually bloody voted for . . . . because they know full well whoever is eventually left holding the Brexit hot potato is going to be monumentally screwed.
They're banking on that being May and planning to make what they can of the resulting disaster which of course they will characterise as all her fault.
RegisterMe wrote:Well one good thing so far - at least all my medic friends will be celebrating.
They might want to hold their celebrations, I hear the new chap has been heavily involved with various think tanks whose objective were to examine how to facilitate the privatisation of the NHS.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 19:17

they've stolen your soul..
now they want you to buy it back..

Chomsky on the minority of the opulent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbFlYLHOSKU

- nothing changes - the fear continues.. :o
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Re: Brexit

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 11:54

Well I'll dig this back up again seeing as its all kicking off again.

A summary of recent events for the non-British

Or for those that prefer text. . . . :roll:

- Sunday am on Marr, latest Brexit secretary (no idea what #3's name is) gives us a categorical assurance that the Commons vote on Mrs Mays Brexit deal WILL most definitely occur on Tuesday, despite it being obvious to everybody she will lose.
- Monday am: EU court rules that UK can unilaterally cancel Brexit if it wants.
- Monday am: Vote that would "definitely not be cancelled" is cancelled.
- Monday pm: Questions raised whether the PM actually has sufficient remaining parliamentary authority to even cancel the vote
- Monday pm: Labour MP protests the situation by making of with the Mace, leading the whole UK to simultaneously wonder "WTF is this "mace"? What kind of farce exactly passes for our parliamentary process?"
- Tuesday: Mrs May fails to exit her own car on way to meet with Merkel, as Brexit continues to provide its own visual metaphors of the highest quality.
- Wednesday am: Tory party trigger vote of no confidence in the PM.

Prediction: She will almost certainly win the vote making this little more than a Tory brexiteer temper tantrum. They are already pissed off that the vote has been sheduled for tonight rather than being dragged out for a week.
I suspect that the political game now being played by Reese-Mogg and his ilk is to try and waste as much of the remaining time before the March deadline as possible with pointless leadership drama in an effort to make "No Deal" happen by default.

Whilst obviously objectively terrible and rage inducing, I also confess to a certain amount of "Some men just want to watch the world burn" in relation to watching this ongoing trashfire unfold. :roll:

Edit: Joke so obvious that I have now seen it being made four times independently:
The Tories voted to choose their leader in 2016, but those in favour of Brexit have decided today, on the basis of updated information, that they don't like the outcome of that vote after all and want to have another one. Imagine!/quote]
Last edited by Bishop149 on Wed, 12. Dec 18, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 12:50

i hope for this scenario to happen:
-- england leaves the EU with a "hard" brexit (no agreement)
-- scotland shoud leave britain and join the EU

... and most of us would be happy.
england and the banking "industry" cant hold the hole EU back any more.
england is "free" and independent again. thats what most people in england voted for ...
most of the scottish can remain EU citizens.
EU can get on with forming a stronger union (which is desperately needed).
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 13:41

It's a complete ******* shambles.
I can't breathe.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:22

For a bit of light relief, you might enjoy the submarine made out of cheese analogy. There is some mild swearing in there, but nothing too offensive.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:18

Brexit is a total farce but then that was to be expected right from the start.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:43

Totally lost confidence of the whole thing now, including Mrs May. I do hope that she goes, as she is so blind to the facts, sure that the EU has made things super hard on the UK, they are just to blame for this whole mess as MRss may and others are. I think the country should see another referendum and see if we can reverse course. I leave without a deal. As the DUP will no support the current deal any shape or form. And Mrs May should have seen this coming from a mile off.

Those in charge are acting like children and headless chickens. Its not a proud day to be British. :x
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:54

matthewfarmery wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:43
sure that the EU has made things super hard on the UK, they are just to blame for this whole mess as MRss may and others are.
Here's the thing, why should they make it easy why should they bend to our will. It's our making our own mess not theirs, they have nothing to gain by doing what May and the rest of the brexiteers want. In the end we have more to lose than they do and we cannot continue to blame them for it, so I do not blame them for anything they have done or are asking.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:13

Came across this yesterday, but didn't know how "funny" you guys would think it was... It starts out funny, but it gets darn sobering really quick. It's kind of creepy. :)

Andy Serkis as May

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:14

The sad thing is, I think the likes of Reese-Mogg and Johnson really believe that they can get a better deal than the one on the table, and should they manage to oust May, I fear they're going to run into the brick wall of the EU negotiating team. Wasn't Boris Johnson the one who said, back in 2016, that the negotiations to leave the EU would likely be the easiest negotiation *ever*? I used to think that the whole bumbling idiot thing was just an act, but I now geniunely believe that Boris is just as much of a cretin as he appears in public to be.

Return to “Off Topic English”