after 800 hour, re instaled windows10, got backupsave, = game modified!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

rogier1987
xr

after 800 hour, re instaled windows10, got backupsave, = game modified!

Post by rogier1987 » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 15:39

hello,

after playing the game for about 850 hours, i got really bored waiting on the hub mission to finish.
so after a year or 2, i reinstalled X3 TC on steam on my freshly installed windows 10 laptop.

i copied the saves back to the folder, gave Bitdefender a "all clear" for X3 TC.

started playing, en after a day of re learing the game i finaly finished the Hub Mission...

But then.....
no steam achievment....?!?

when online, check some stuf out,
found out the game is Moddified!!!
all my old and new saves are modified!

fresh install of steam,
backup saves from Onedrive.
bitdefender antivirus.

how is this possible, and how can i fix this.
i never had this problem in the past, the backups always worked just fine!!!!

please help!
Infinity For Eternity

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:04

I suspect that copying the game files or saves across marked them or changed them slightly on the memory stick or copying process and so made them appear as if modified. (Memory sticks often have their own ways of storing and marking files, while some copying methods use flagging, compression or encryption that changes the files or their information headers.)

Sometimes AVs or other security/protection applications doing real time file checking while loading files from disk or memory stick can slightly modify files too. The files on the disk may still be totally vanilla but the AV etc has changed the version loaded into RAM for immediate game use.

I think the only certain way to recover the saves is to access the original unmodified saves again and this time make sure that they transfer across as unmodified. You cannot 'unmodify' a save marked modified.

Also make sure that your game install, the game exe and the Bonus Pack are all the compatible updated versions since having a mismatch can cause save version issues.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

rogier1987
xr

Post by rogier1987 » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:14

hi,

thanks for the quick response,

i dont have any non moddified save files, i checked.
problem is that i did this quit often.
backed up the save to onedrive,never before had this problem.

isnt there some way the reverse the moddified,

i would hate to trow 800 hours of game play in the bin.
i had such a giant, well oiled empire.
Infinity For Eternity

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:16

As I said you cannot reverse a modified tag (by express design).

What you can do is get a known vanilla save that you have not played on from and resaved recently, load it into your game and immediately check that the current game is not marked modified. You should be OK from that point onwards.

Oh wait, when you say you don't have any non-modified saves, do you mean that you absolutely know that as fact? I gave you some examples above where things can give a modified indication for files that indeed are vanilla. What you must not do is resave the game after that modification indication has appeared.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

rogier1987
xr

Post by rogier1987 » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:20

oke,

thanks anyway.

i will search my drives and hope ive got an older save some ware.

thanks for the help.

ps, lets hope X4 gets as good as X3 TC and AP.
Infinity For Eternity

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”