2018 FIFA World Cup

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How interested are you in this World Cup?

Poll ended at Thu, 12. Jul 18, 22:49

I'll be watching as many games as I can.
24%
I'll be watching the games my country plays in.
15%
I'll be following everything live online (text & clips) or on radio.
2%
I'll read reports about my team's games and the big games.
2%
I'll absorb what I see/hear, but I won't go looking for anything.
24%
I'm planning a holiday to the far side of the moon to get away from it.
32%

Total votes: 41

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 13:16

apogee wrote:Whatever England do tonight, or if they get to the final, the've over achieved and we should be proud of how far they've got. (if you are an England supporter that is)
I was speaking to a real footy fan at work, and his attitude is "we have had a fairly simple route to the semis.... jury still out for me" when talking about Gareth Southgate's performance. So no, there are people who aren't proud of how far we've got. Find it a ludicrous attitude myself, but there you go.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:53

the Croatian equalizer was a stunner of a goal..

- egads, it's going to extra time.. :o :o
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:54

This cup of extra times though...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 22:26

2-1 down with 12 minutes to go, not a good position to be in for England...

[EDIT] They think it's all over...and it is now. England out in the semis.

[FFCW]Urizen
x4

Post by [FFCW]Urizen » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 22:39

Well played Croatia. Now beat France!
Insanity is just another form of brilliance!

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 22:42

Unbelievable. Croatians' legs have to be checked for presence of adamantium. Three long plays in a row... and they made it to the summit. What a fantastic game.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:11

YAY England are out. Some peace again for another 4 years.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:26

felter wrote:YAY England are out. Some peace again for another 4 years.
Nope. Give it two and we'll be singing that song again.

Edit: Scratch that. Let's keep on singing it. It doesn't state when football is coming home!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:27

Are you sure?

I'm disappointed, as one would be, but I'm not feeling the need to smash up things, or people. Roll on the women's World T20 (2018), the men's Cricket World Cup (2019), the women's FIFA World Cup (2019), the men's Rugby World Cup (2019) ...
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:34

England should have won. Croatia deserved to win. Modric was seriously bloody everywhere on that pitch. If England had Modric in the middle field, game over world :).

Anyway, I have some minor grumblings about some of the decisions made but even given those England had the chances and didn't take them. They also looked tired, which surprised me.

But they're kids. Bring on the Euros in 2020 and look out world :).

EDIT: Spelling mistakes / typos (new keyboard)
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Len5

Post by Len5 » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:34

RegisterMe wrote:Croatia deserved to win.
They just won. I wouldn't call it deserved. They made twice as many fouls, even without the ones the ref let go. They should've had a few more yellows too.
With the Croatian equalizer Walker almost had his head kicked off. The goal could've been rejected.

France should win this now. They have the best players and team. They should've won the EC 2016.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:49

Len5 wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:Croatia deserved to win.
They just won. I wouldn't call it deserved. They made twice as many fouls, even without the ones the ref let go. They should've had a few more yellows too.
With the Croatian equalizer Walker almost had his head kicked off. The goal could've been rejected.

France should win this now. They have the best players and team. They should've won the EC 2016.
Not sure I'd disagree with any of that :). I'll sleep on it :).
I can't breathe.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 10:10

Len5 wrote:They should've won the EC 2016.
Oi! Stepping on dangerous grounds there mate. :-P

Croatia ftw! Teams that qualify with player scoring goal using their hands (Henry I'm looking at you) and then go on TV telling all about how cynical players these days are, get scorn for a generation!

MFG

Ketraar

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 10:27

RegisterMe wrote:...Croatia deserved to win...
This kind of statement is one of the things that turns me off football. Pundits in particular (not picking on you, RegisterMe, just using as an example) often talk about who 'deserved to win' like football is marked out of 10 by judges. It's not. It's a game of tactics and skill where the 'better' team (a team with more skill & strength) can lose if their opposition plays tactically better, or even just gets lucky.

Croatia scored more goals than England and thus won. Anyone who thinks it's not deserved should, I suggest, find a different sport; I would suggest Rugby Union, where it's much harder for a poor team to beat a stronger one (but it can still be done - which is part of the joy sport).
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 16:53

- ha, ha..!! :lol:

France are a brilliant side.. they have all the right attributes to go on and win the title,
but Croatia has already proven that grit and determination can come out on top..

- it's going to be an ace final - two excellent teams.. :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 17:12

I was sad to see the English fail, but Croatia vs France should make for a fun final. :)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 20:09

I wonder what's going on Kalinic's mind right now. Imagine missing a once a life time chance to represent your country because you couldn't reign in your ego.

Len5

Post by Len5 » Fri, 13. Jul 18, 15:29

Infantino said this was the best World Cup ever and thus came to the conclusion that his predictions came true.
He also spoke for everyone when he told Putin that we all fell in love with Russia.

Really no shame at all. Everyone would clearly recognize this puppet-show, still they went through with it.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 19:01

Viva la France.
4 to 2 over Croatia.

Who would have thought?

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

World Cup 2018: France beat Croatia 4-2 in World Cup final - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44754965
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 19:31

Rapier wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:...Croatia deserved to win...
This kind of statement is one of the things that turns me off football. Pundits in particular (not picking on you, RegisterMe, just using as an example) often talk about who 'deserved to win' like football is marked out of 10 by judges. It's not. It's a game of tactics and skill where the 'better' team (a team with more skill & strength) can lose if their opposition plays tactically better, or even just gets lucky.
Well, just to poke fun at Rapier, France deserved to win this one :). That Mbappe is brilliant, and terrifying, and yet still incomplete and unfinished. If he can avoid injury he's going to be one of the greats.

And thank you Russia, that was a fantastic World Cup.
I can't breathe.

Return to “Off Topic English”