Should Non-Americans Celebrate Or Wish Americans A Happy 4th Of July?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 20:37

@ Observe

Lucky guy. It was about 81° at 85% humidity last night and I drug in from the fireworks show looking like I'd mined coal all day! I mean residue was raining down on the crowd and sticking!

Was a great show though :D
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 20:46

@Hank001: Yes, I am very lucky. Not sure why I'm so blessed actually. It won't last forever. Nothing does.

It's a pleasant 72 F (22 C) outside right now. I understand much of the rest of the country is suffering a heat wave, but I wouldn't know it. That's one of the perks of living in the Northwest.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 20:52

91° at 79% humidity with a "feels like" of 106° and we're under a heat advisory. The on topic message is that it's cooler today so I can't rightly say that time honored cleche "It's hotter than the 4th of July out there!" :D
MIND THE GAP

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 21:26

Observe wrote: EDIT: Figured I might as well include a pic of the view outside my window from a few days ago. We have lots of Deer among other critters on our property.

[ external image ]
"Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water...

BAM! A figgin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces!

Now I ask ya. Would you give a fig what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 21:53

Yep. Real sad. Boo Hoo. And when one dives to cross the road right in front of your car and you end up with a lap full of Bambi then you'll be singing a different tune. They have this death wish where vehicles are concerned. Big long legged Lemmings they are!

Edit: @Obseve:
Spoke too soon! Now 95° So it IS hotter than the 4th of July outside!
:evil:
MIND THE GAP

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 22:10

My two penneth...

Every bugger celebrates St Patrick's day - not because they're Irish (unless you're an American cliche), but because it's fun.

I'm British, English even... so would I celebrate Independence day? No, not by myself. Nor would I celebrate St. Patrick's day alone either!

But if I was with American friends then I sure as hell will join in IF invited to do so! Of course, being me, I may (depending on weather) wear suitably English related clothing and complain loudly about the lack of Earl Grey tea... but I'd not begrudge any country celebrating gaining it's independence, no matter whomever it was from. And if there's a cultural party going on, I'd love to experience it and share the fun :)

Except Scotland.

Only kidding :D

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 22:21

@ Chips
There are two English holidays I wish the US would celebrate.
Boxing Day and Guy Fawkes Day.

GOTTA LOVE IT!
MIND THE GAP

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 23:02

A great film, popularising the mask - but sadly misappropriated and now identifiable with a certain group who commit crimes.

No-one wears those - but we do make a dummy of the individual it represents, and burn it as if it were a living being. We're civilised :D

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 23:30

Chip noted:
No-one wears those - but we do make a dummy of the individual it represents, and burn it as if it were a living being. We're civilised :D
Quite civilized. Ya done hung'em by the nek tell he'z ded.

I was working in England over Guy's Day past Boxing Day and you're right, I never saw the mask until "V" but I saw them burn the guy... :roll:

Boxing Day we had a Vice Marshall serving up dinner for the troops and actually smiled about this change of circumstance.

What's not to like?
MIND THE GAP

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 23:48

You don't get boxing day?

See, if you'd not been a load of tea spilling rebellious traitors... you'd be enjoying boxing day and bonfire night! :P

Take THAT July 4th!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 5. Jul 18, 23:53

Chips wrote:[....]We're civilised :D
As someone who has been to England, I would argue that that is debatable. :P

Jokes aside, Boxing Day really seems like a nice tradition.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 00:34

@ chips

Plum heathens here, yep we is.
Of course if my paternal ancestor hadn't taken
the fourteen shillings from the drum and been sent
'oer the hills and far away' and chose to stay in the colonys
instead of taking passage back when he mustered out then
I'd BE celebrating bonfires, burning and boxing.

As for our "Independence Day" my maternal ancestor was
George Washinton's Adjutant General so I spent a few 4th of July's
as a kid board silly listening to old ladies in the
"Daughters of the Ameican Revolution" give speeches. ZZZZ

Luckily my paternal ancestor was a farmer in the far west of
Pennsylvania in the 1770's and only heard about the Revolution
second hand.

So the question should be: Should the US celebrate English Holidays?
Some yes, but we seemed to have tossed the baby out with the bathwater on that score.

Though I can see where the thought of setting
a powder keg under parliament might have appealed
to early Americans, for some reason The Guy was never
canonized here. :roll:

And the thought behind Boxing Day?
I think that lost it's appeal when you simply couldn't give
slaves or indentured servants a day to themselves
could you? (Unless you put them IN boxes) :roll:

Oh never mind. No we shouldn't foist "Independence Day" on
others.... Well how about Bastille Day? :idea: Hmmm.

fiksal
x4

Re: Should Non-Americans Celebrate Or Wish Americans A Happy 4th Of July?

Post by fiksal » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 15:30

Alien Tech Inc. wrote:So 4th of July is (I think) an American holiday as it's their independence day. Independence from what? Rule from the British (and probably other countries as well, but they never get mentioned).

I am (for my sins) a Brit, English even. Americans celebrating the 4th of July (which they should, I have no issue with that) is like saying a big "screw you" to my country and everyone in it.

I have in the past wished my American friends a happy 4th of July, yet this morning, I had a thought that maybe, just maybe, it was hypocritical of me to do so.

Am I right, it is hypocritical? I mean, Trump (their current leader) isn't exactly known (or elected for) his embracing other countries (ie the infamous wall). Or Am I being stupid (as usual) and should put aside history and wish them a happy 4th of July.

I need some guidance and where better to go, than here (you're all smarter and wiser than I am).

Thoughts?

I dont mind. Wish it if you like. We celebrate it because we like the holiday not because we have an orange president.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Wed, 5. Sep 18, 17:34

Americans celebrating the 4th of July (which they should, I have no issue with that) is like saying a big "screw you" to my country and everyone in it.

The lameness of our outdated insults should be enough to know how much we love you guys.

"Mmm, yes, another vitamin C joke. How frightfully original. If I'm wincing it's surely a toothache from the scurvy and not a reaction to your charming Yankee humor."

However significant our victory in 1776 we clearly lost the war with P. G. Wodehouse.

Return to “Off Topic English”