Questiona to Egosoft about X4 combat AI and prevalent issues (ever since X2)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Fri, 13. Jul 18, 17:35

Scoob wrote:
Sandalpocalypse wrote:a big problem with the modded fighting scripts in the x3 engine was always scaleability. they were expensive on CPU. The same usually applied to the advanced turret scripts. In practice they seemed to be player use only.
With Multi-threading being a core part of the game engine now, I'd hope the game would be able to cope a lot better with such things.

Considering X3 was single threaded, but effectively used two Core - one for the game one for DX - being able to spread over four cores, which is the minimum now realistically, is going to make a huge difference.

My only concern is how Rebirth still choked massively when modded, yet CPU utilisation would drop as performance dropped, despite being multi-threaded. I really hope X4 scales well and can use proportionally more CPU resources as the number of scripts - both vanilla through updates as well as modded - increases.

With Six and Eight Cores becoming more normal, I really hope that X4 can thrive and scale well as stuff is added.

Scoob.
Just keep in mind not to overestimate the impact of multi-threading. It is not a magical mcguffin.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Return to “X4: Foundations”