Would an in-game option to disable stardust be desirable for X4?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Is an in-game option to disable stardust desirable?

Poll ended at Mon, 9. Jul 18, 03:09

Yes, I'd like it.
29%
No, I'm fine with using a mod for it.
25%
No, I don't want it.
13%
I don't care.
33%

Total votes: 93

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 21:59

Well, what do you know, indifference wins. I wonder what would've happened if the poll had 93 options instead of just 4. :)

Jokes aside, the results are somewhat surprising. I didn't expect option 1 to overtake option 2, even though it was my pick. What do you guy think, is this poll sufficiently objective to be used as a counterargument to "you can mod this", as well as "you must make it built-in"?

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 01:17

read your own question again, you have to add the score of option 2 and 3 as both are no to a build-in sollution in total there are more against vote than request votes.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 01:26

The prevalence of the last option can also be used against the first.

There's no point in spending time and effort on removing stardust if most people won't care about the change.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 01:40

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:read your own question again, you have to add the score of option 2 and 3 as both are no to a build-in sollution in total there are more against vote than request votes.
The number of people who would actually make use of such an option are 50 (group 1&2) against 12 (group 3) who would not use it.
It really depends on how you are looking at the numbers.
A5PECT wrote:The prevalence of the last option can also be used against the first.

There's no point in spending time and effort on removing stardust if most people won't care about the change.
Erm no? If that would be their stance then they had the option to vote for "no".
I don't care or neutral is usually added to the winning parties votes.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 01:46

Tamina wrote:The number of people who would actually make use of such an option are 50 (group 1&2) against 12 (group 3) who would not use it.
It really depends on how you are looking at the numbers.
Group 2 may not be satisfied by an in-game checkbox. For instance, in X3 I mod sectors to remove 90% of space dust in general, keeping more dust in foggy sectors (scaling with fog density).

thesus1
x4

Post by thesus1 » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 13:14

Tamina wrote:The number of people who would actually make use of such an option are 50 (group 1&2) against 12 (group 3) who would not use it.
It really depends on how you are looking at the numbers
No it's group 1 & 2 (50) vs group 3 & 4 (43).
People who don't care will not use this option.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 14:31

I think both assessments are correct. Indeed there were more people who didn't want the option. At the same time, more than half of voters did indeed want to be able to remove stardust, and of those there were more who would've liked it as an option as opposed to a mod. Those who didn't care, well, they didn't care.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 14:42

Not really all that happy for my 'no' vote to suddenly be counted as a 'yes'.

Perfectly happy if a modder wants to do this - probably wouldn't use it, but would still be nice to have such a mod available (the more mods the better as far as I'm concerned). However, really do not want the devs to waste time on what, for me, is an utterly trivial issue - there is surely much more important stuff for them to focus on.

thesus1
x4

Post by thesus1 » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 14:48

@radcapricorn

They are, depend of the question :
- People who want the option : 27 vs 66
- People who don't want the option : 12 vs 81
- People will use it : 27 (up to 50 because the answer is ambiguous) vs 43

Yep, this not help, it's a pool, and like all pools they are many way to read it.

I forgot the "troll" one : People who care about stardust 93 vs 400281 registered users in the forum :D

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 15:48

Why are you guys arguing about who "won" the poll? Do you think it should have to meet a magic threshold of over 50% for the devs to consider putting in this option? Wouldn't a significant sized minority who want a feature be enough for the devs to consider putting it in, especially if it does not take too much effort to implement, and having the feature as an option does not impact those who do not want to use it in any meaningful way?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 16:36

Think of it this way, those that replied to the poll are pretty much evenly divided between:
a. wanting an in-game option to toggle space dust,
b. being happy to use mods to achieve the option should they want it, and
c. not caring if there's an in-game option or not.
The exact numbers are pretty immaterial.

Whether that result is likely to influence the devs to make space dust an in-game option in X4 is a rather relevant question, and another is whether space dust was even going to be implemented (in quite the same way as for XR) in X4 anyway.

Since I don't know the answer to either of those follow-up questions, let's perhaps see what the devs might have to say.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

monster.zero
x4

Post by monster.zero » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 21:55

I voted 'Don't care".....BUT

I wouldn't let you pilot my washing machine without this basic feature!

'Ooops!' '...thought I was thrusting up...but i was thrusting left...srry 'bout your docking port! Lol...send me the bill!! '

Not that I would even think about allowing a human to pilot a spaceship. That's just crazy.

Maybe a synthetic human/android/mandroid(women drivers :P )

Smashing a million tonne freighter into the side of a station @ 1 m/s, would be devastating . let alone 500 m/s or 3,000,000(1 percent the speed of light)

No squishy lifeforms aboard my vessels.
DEC BC ; Decrease the counter
LD A, B ; Load one byte of the counter into the accumulator
OR C ; Bitwise OR with the other byte
JR NZ, Loop

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 00:07

GCU Grey Area, no one is counting your "no" as a "yes". The unsympathetic numbers are all there, there was just this short attempt at looking at them from a higher level, is all.

I guess my point is (and it was from the start) that asserting that anything (even such a trivial thing) is "easily" modded unequivocally is, at best, premature, and at worst, misrepresentative. I had hoped that I wasn't in a minority on this, but I thought I was, and I'm sort of glad to have been wrong for once. EDIT: glad, that is.

To reiterate, this was purely a community poll, I don't think devs would really take it into consideration unless they're really looking at that specific thing for some reason.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 01:52

The sample of votes is tiny, Devs of any company would need thousands to really influence their choices in development. No one would do anything with a poll of 100 or less. And so really any poll here on forums is purely for members to ponder about as we don't have the member count or activity to generate a meaningful poll that the Devs would seriously look at.

Imo of course.

So basically saying, I'd not get Ur hopes up.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations”