Will your favorite corvette make a return in X4?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 19:25

Kittens David wrote:I am definitely more interested in the Frigates than corvettes. Turrets ship autofiring is way more interesting to me than fighter and piloting to aim.

My favorite look go for the

in X3:

Split Panther https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... C61C0AE7D/
Split dragon http://www.xdatabase.de/x3-reunion/comm ... ffe/17.jpg

in X rebirth

I enjoyed the look of the lepton even if it was a transporter and not a fighting ship. https://www.alpha-orbital.com/ship/lepton

[/u]
I find all terran ships pretty cool, including the Succelus of course. But i dislike Teladi Design.

In X3 games, i dislike Paranid and Teladi designs, and loved the Terrans.

In X2, they were all good. maybe i'm nostalgic, i don't know! :D
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 19:39

Général Grievous wrote:But i dislike Teladi Design.
Why? This is the coolest design ever made! I absolutly love the whole 3-dimensional ship layout and they look like giant jellyfish.
Very original, or at least I haven't seen this everywhere else.

Is it because it is different from X3?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 07:41

The design of Teladi small and medium ships shown for X4 don't really gel with XR's Teladi capital ship design. I'm wondering if they''ll actually reuse the latter in the new game.

I liked a lot of the Terran/Argon ships in XR. I hope they make it into X4 somehow (I'm thinking a gate reconnection plot that adds the XR universe map to the X4 one). The Succelus and Foltor became some of my favorite designs in the X series, and I'd love to be able to pilot and command them in X4.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 19:01

A5PECT wrote:The design of Teladi small and medium ships shown for X4 don't really gel with XR's Teladi capital ship design. I'm wondering if they''ll actually reuse the latter in the new game.
The Teladi XLs in X4 have a similar design to the XR XLs.
(Shout out to Simon for one of the coolest designs, ever.)
:D

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 19:14

I liked X-Rebirth teladi freighter design.
Capship design was kinda meh (too small comparing to other races capships).

However, fighter design was comple atrocity - flying lightbulb and not even stylish lightbulb.

I'm glad X4 Teladi fighter designs seems to be go back to X2 (Falcon) with some X3 (Teladi bomber) influence.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 17. Jul 18, 03:17

Well, in case the corvette class still exists by the timeframe of X4, they should go with their intended purpose and be support/armed transport ships. Unlike in X3, where they pretty much became powerhouse M3s without any real negative attributes.

They were balanced in X2, mostly because they could barely dock anywhere, and thus became these cool player yachts that even challenged players in the aspect of refueling them.

Then in X3, you just switched to an M6 after you got the money for it, because they excelled in every aspect of the game, including long range scouting, big cargo bay for transporting wares (and an almost infinite supply of energy cells for the jumpdrive), anti-fighter role (they almost steered like a friggin fighter!), anti-capital ship role (you could easily hide under a cap ship and spam your weapons on it until it exploded), and tank role (they even had proper shielding too).

See where I'm getting at? Make them either robust ships that have low capacity in steering, or make them similarly to fighters... But they can't go both ways.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 17. Jul 18, 17:10

Général Grievous wrote: In X3 games, i dislike Paranid and Teladi designs, and loved the Terrans.
I liked most of the curved and majestic Paranid capital ship designs in X3, but some of the fighters weren't very appealing in one way or another. Worse, the smaller Paranid M5s lacked recon capabilities (no way to mount a Triplex Scanner on either a Pegasus or a Pericles), and the Perseus design looked like a bad cartoon caricature of a fish. A few of the long projections looked dysfuntional on various designs, while others were odd but strangely "fitting" (the long "snout" on the Pericles). I was particularly fond of the Nemesis' look, but the far more effective Heavy Nemesis was just ugly. Then there was the Hyperion Vanguard, which looked the part of a luxury or racing yacht rather than the powerful M6++ warship that it was. My first thought when I saw one in the game for the first time was: "I want one".

Teladi ships in general looked blocky and ugly, but "cheap" and functional. I can't say I "liked" the look, but they fit into the game well.

The Terran ships were generally advanced and powerful looking, and as much as I hated the Terran weapon selection, they were still something to be desired. Some of the ATF ships looked ugly and blocky, and I was less than fond of several of the designs, no matter how brutally effective they were in the game.

The large Split capitals were also "fitting", and my opinion on their looks is decidedly mixed.

The Boron ships looked terribly out of place: those organic wings and projections serve no apparent purpose at all in space, but made them easy to hit and hard to maneuver in the game.

Argon was middle of the road, mostly "good enough" in appearance, with a few standouts and a few ugly clunkers. The projecting wings with engine pods suspended well clear of the main bodies seemed a bit unrealistic on most of their fighters, but overall the designs weren't objectionable.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 00:12

Kittens David wrote: in X rebirth

I enjoyed the look of the lepton even if it was a transporter and not a fighting ship. https://www.alpha-orbital.com/ship/lepton
That ship is oddly similar to some of the ships from the game Taikodom.

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 14:29

I always liked the M6 class. First when it was introduced they were really powerful, and could use the big Gamma HEPT. AAhhh those were the days of the green blob. Later on they got tweeked, for better or worse and I still like them. The middle class of ships, not small as fighters and not slow as caps. Could handle alot, versatility the name of the game.

In XR they were really putting the puny into them, so now the new middle class should be the M or L class. The only ship there is the Balor (wich again I do like both as a tool and the look). There was another thread on XR side of the forum, where we discussed breifly about getting more the middle ground ships and less the big XL fatties. Where the role for the was more specific for L ships and XL would be the monsters that did juuust about everthing and punched hard (but with misses on smaller ships). The Sucellus should really have been a L ship with the frontal smack of a artillary and with speed to run away when the shit hit the fan.

I do hope this will come in to X4, the role and diversity of function for ships.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 15:11

My favourite for its looks was the Heavy Centaur Prototype.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 19. Jul 18, 17:10

Tamina wrote:
A5PECT wrote:The design of Teladi small and medium ships shown for X4 don't really gel with XR's Teladi capital ship design. I'm wondering if they''ll actually reuse the latter in the new game.
They may just be placeholders for now. We've been shown a new design for the Teladi Falcon that conflicts with the Teladi Falcon from XR. My ideal scenario would be Teladi getting an all new set of ship designs for X4, but also reusing designs from XR as faction-specific ships.

One thing I liked in X3AP and XR was that there were multiple designs for a given ship class within a single race. AP had Argon/OTAS and Terran/ATF. XR had different ship designs between the Argon and Canteran governments, as well as designs specific to different corporations and factions belonging to the same race.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 19. Jul 18, 17:56

A5PECT wrote:
Tamina wrote:
They may just be placeholders for now. We've been shown a new design for the Teladi Falcon that conflicts with the Teladi Falcon from XR. My ideal scenario would be Teladi getting an all new set of ship designs for X4, but also reusing designs from XR as faction-specific ships.

One thing I liked in X3AP and XR was that there were multiple designs for a given ship class within a single race. AP had Argon/OTAS and Terran/ATF. XR had different ship designs between the Argon and Canteran governments, as well as designs specific to different corporations and factions belonging to the same race.
They have stated in a stream that they pretty much have to rework the ships in order to be able to access them seamlessly. So that might be the reason for the falcon redesign, while the L-XL size ships could stay the same, since they cannot land by normal means. But then again, Im just guessing here and they could be placeholders, or actual XR ported ships with redesigned interiors.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 19. Jul 18, 20:15

A5PECT wrote:
Tamina wrote:The Teladi XLs in X4 have a similar design to the XR XLs.
They may just be placeholders for now. We've been shown a new design for the Teladi Falcon that conflicts with the Teladi Falcon from XR.
Small ships got a new design, yes. However, the Teladi XL ships are based on their XR design - according to Linolafett, asked him last week.
For how they actually look stands on a whole new paper but sure is they still have this overall jellyfish-look.

@repatomonor
That is a good guess :) XR smaller-then-L ships were mostly semi-functional 3D assets. They weren't even a playable element until Update 3.0 o.O
Now every ship needs to be able to land and have a cockpit. Makes sense.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 01:17

If they have turrets and can dock at stations, I'll be happy.

I'll be even happier if at least one variant has just a full turret compliment and no forward weapons, because I loved that distinction when it came to M7s.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 02:41

Spero wrote:If they have turrets and can dock at stations, I'll be happy.

I'll be even happier if at least one variant has just a full turret compliment and no forward weapons, because I loved that distinction when it came to M7s.
It will depend on the station. Corvettes are roughly equivalent to M ships, so XR's "corvettes" will only be able to land at stations with M-size docking bays.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 16:11

Blastclaw Prototype FTW

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Mon, 23. Jul 18, 16:59

DaMuncha wrote:Blastclaw Prototype FTW
That's not a corvette though.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 09:21

Spero wrote:If they have turrets and can dock at stations, I'll be happy.

Yes, the Split Panther (fully turreted M7) was also my favorite. Used it quite a lot.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 28. Jul 18, 19:53

In the words of Arnold J. Rimmer on a date.... "Who knows?"
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Wed, 15. Aug 18, 22:53

In light of recent screenshots, I can 100% confirm that my favorite corvette will be returning in X4. :teladi:
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Return to “X4: Foundations”