what type of system will i need to run X4?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 23:56

pjknibbs wrote: You can have a damn good try, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM2G5vLGcQQ
:rofl: That is annoyingly unresponsible as it is funny :D
Morkonan wrote:Just an observation - Those fans are driven by air-cooled motors and will eventually contribute a bit of heat to the case... I'm great fun at parties.
Not really, this is always the case even with smaller fans... :?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 04:02

Tamina wrote:...
Not really, this is always the case even with smaller fans... :?
Not quite. The two types of fans are very different from each other. That large industrial fan's motor produces a bunch of heat, comparatively speaking, and the magnetically, "brushless motor" PC case fan has more efficiency, with less torque/hp.

Those look like direct-drive fans. No intervening transmission system. A smarter large fan would be a squirrel-cage type, like is used in most home air-movers in heating/AC units. You get pretty good efficiency, can have the motor outside the casing unit, and can move a lot of air. But... there's a lot more noise due to power transmission.

We really need to up the ante on moving heat. There are more ways to do it than air and liquids. At least, lots of different combinations we could use. Some of 'em... toxic. But, hey, anything for a few more fps, amiright? :)

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 13:55

Okay, you caught my interest.
Morkonan wrote:Not quite. The two types of fans are very different from each other. That large industrial fan's motor produces a bunch of heat, comparatively speaking, and the magnetically, "brushless motor" PC case fan has more efficiency, with less torque/hp.

Those look like direct-drive fans. No intervening transmission system. A smarter large fan would be a squirrel-cage type, like is used in most home air-movers in heating/AC units. You get pretty good efficiency, can have the motor outside the casing unit, and can move a lot of air. But... there's a lot more noise due to power transmission.
An AC synchronous motor, connected directly to the power grid, doesn't need any brushes as well? :?
*Edit: Anyway according to the specs, the bigger fan needs two to four times more power in order to move the same amount of air but apparently the additional airflow compensates this.
Morkonan wrote:We really need to up the ante on moving heat. There are more ways to do it than air and liquids. At least, lots of different combinations we could use. Some of 'em... toxic. But, hey, anything for a few more fps, amiright? :)
I was genuinly suprised when I found out that "liquid coolers" are actually using liquids. That sounds highly inefficient. I was assuming they use evaporating fluids like in motors.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 16:36

Tamina wrote: An AC synchronous motor, connected directly to the power grid, doesn't need any brushes as well? :?
Such a device wouldn't spin either. The problem with a synchronous motor is that it can *only* run at synchronous speed, so you need to provide some method of getting such a motor up to speed before it will work. What they will often do is integrate a "squirrel cage" (as Mork mentioned) into the rotor of the synchronous motor--that allows you to run it up to near synchronous speed as an induction motor, then hope it flips into synchronisation.

The sort of motor they use in desk fans and the like tends to be a shaded pole induction motor. Induction motors have terrible low-speed torque, but that doesn't matter when your load is a fan, because the torque requirements for a fan rise pretty much linearly with speed--you don't need a big starting torque.

Return to “Off Topic English”