WiFi question

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 18:53

CBJ asks:
I can't find anything that says they removed Bluetooth tethering. Are you sure you just didn't just forget to enable Bluetooth discovery?
Not directly into my desktop bluetooth no and it took some doing to get it to link to my laptop. I think it's simply my Android 8 is "too new" and I'm going to have to upgrade bluetooth hardware.

Antilogic:
I'm including laptops in this as well. Anything that doesn't really have a fixed position to a network port is generally served better by Wi-Fi.
I assumed this meant laptops that didn't have a LAN connection.
I might have misunderstood.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 19:04

Hank001 wrote: Antilogic:
I'm including laptops in this as well. Anything that doesn't really have a fixed position to a network port is generally served better by Wi-Fi.
I assumed this meant laptops that didn't have a LAN connection.
I might have misunderstood.
I was referring to laptops being literally mobile and moving around away from a fixed network point.

However, yes lots of laptops these days are no longer coming with a RJ45 port for ethernet connection. My laptop at work only has 2 USB C Ports for everything, including power. Optional dock has the extra ports.

This is done because they try to strive for lightness and thinness with the design, and an RJ45 port is huuuuggee for most things these days. So something to consider going forward with laptops. (Most standard size business laptops still carry USB3 & RJ45 ports, in addition to at least one USB C).

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Thu, 9. Aug 18, 19:21

@ Antilogic

Since my laptop is what we use to track our telescope, etc, my astronomy group wanted me to hold off until we can get together before I buy a new laptop. After searches on Amazon and Newegg I'm starting to see that fewer and fewer new models have a LAN connection which sort of shoots down down our time killer of playing MP LAN games on our laptops. :D
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 04:47

Antilogic wrote:...This is done because they try to strive for lightness and thinness with the design, and an RJ45 port is huuuuggee for most things these days. So something to consider going forward with laptops. (Most standard size business laptops still carry USB3 & RJ45 ports, in addition to at least one USB C).
My latest one has one similar to this: https://i.imgur.com/ewwec6w.jpg Another I had was a bit bigger/thicker and had a standard port.

Return to “Off Topic English”