Highways = I wont be playing

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

vexter
x4

Highways = I wont be playing

Post by vexter » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 04:31

Just read about the inclusion of highways in x4 and I'm crushed. Ive bought some of your games twice just to support the development of x4. What a waste.

Its really unfortunate that you have taken the advice of forum warriors. I was having too much fun in x3 and AP with mods to spend much time here.

So, farewell to you Egosoft. I will delete your game and company from my radar for a few years. Maybe you will be alive to get this right next time......

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 04:33

Neat.

Fenris321
x4

Post by Fenris321 » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 05:58

Then you also read the part where highways wont be everywhere? Why not wait for the game to come out, watch a couple of YouTube/Twitch videos and then decide if the game is worth it or not?

I'm not real happy about jumpdrives not being included and most of their excuses as to why they wont be included are garbage. But I can understand why they'd be excluded for tactical and game plot reasons even if it will hurt certain play styles. But even with highways and no jumpdrives, I'm still about 99% certain I'll be buying X4. Although after XR, I'll take my own advice about watching videos for a week or two before purchasing.
Last edited by Fenris321 on Fri, 10. Aug 18, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 06:27

I sterted again playing in Xrebirth and the highways are such nightmare in Sectors like devries for example. Especially Gushing Spring where I have sometimes to make the whole loop again to reach a zone that is around 200km from me.

While i understand highways design is not really good in xrebirth, they might implement it in a better way in X4.

I think it is too harsh of a judgement to dismiss X4 just because there are highways.

Fureimuu
x3ap

Post by Fureimuu » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 08:36

"Hey, I don't know what the game looks like just yet, but I'll hate it anyways because of 1 word!"

VolusRus
x4

Post by VolusRus » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 08:43

It's already been told that in X4 highways will look like ones in Home of Light - one straight line with main activity around it, buth there will be a bunch of empty space far from highways. Also, only core sectors will have highways.
Scrap such a complex game like X4 because of such a minor detail... For me, it's wery strange. Like if you won't buy a lovely house, because you don't like a one single brick.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 14:23

Seriously? Another thread about how highways?

You guys know there's another one like 15 threads down the main page, right?
It's right there, and still pretty warm!
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Highways = I wont be playing

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 15:19

vexter wrote: Its really unfortunate that you have taken the advice of forum warriors. I was having too much fun in x3 and AP with mods to spend much time here.
The funny part is, I only see a minority of vocal people who defended the highways, most of us dislike it (probably).

But anyway, you are not a meaningful customer. You have bought some X games twice and expected what? That Egosoft will magically read into your mind and bend an entire game's design to your liking?

That's kind of an interesting outlook on consumerism. However, Egosoft did listen to your secret wish - highways will be entirely optional and they reduced their numbers and twists. You will get a travel mode, which is basically highway speed without highways. You will get SETA to speed up your journeys. You will also get your usual afterburner booster, and to top it all, you will get a Transporter system that will be able to teleport you to any of your ship.

The problem is, you have decided that highways are the spawn of the devil, even made a separate thread about your HUGE disappointment, and now here we are. ES is probably better off without you.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 16:08

The travel drive is not as fast as a highway, but should be sufficient in combination with seta to get the job done.

If you dont like highways, you dont have to use them. Its much less off putting as in XR, where you always had a stop and go feeling because you could only use the boosters (and wait til they were recharged).
Now you can just start the travel mode and cruise along the space (which you have to do anyways in many regions) and cover distance that way.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 16:28

VolusRus wrote:It's already been told that in X4 highways will look like ones in Home of Light - one straight line with main activity around it, buth there will be a bunch of empty space far from highways. Also, only core sectors will have highways.
Scrap such a complex game like X4 because of such a minor detail... For me, it's wery strange. Like if you won't buy a lovely house, because you don't like a one single brick.

Sadly they don't care about that type of logic. One feature they don't like, it's stomp their feet and hold their breath time.

There is a ton of things about X3 and X:Rebirth that I personally didn't like.. But I still loved both titles.
I feel like this is stomp feet behaviour, doesn't help in discussion.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 17:31

spankahontis wrote:I feel like this is stomp feet behaviour, doesn't help in discussion.
One person stomping their foot is a tantrum. 1000 people stamping their feet is a stampede. I suspect that there are a lot of players who strongly disliked highways, and it might behoove Egosoft to make it clear that highways are not nearly as important to the game as in XR, otherwise some of those players may stampede elsewhere, rather than toward X4.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 18:41

VolusRus wrote:Also, only core sectors will have highways.
This is the perfect solution to me. Highways contributes to an... urban feeling, making some parts feeling more civilized than others. Highways in core sectors and none in the outskirts is superb.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

DAG368

Post by DAG368 » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 19:05

All you have to do is wait until the modding community have made X4 a very good game by taking out the highways and putting in a jump drive, problem sorted.

Clownmug
x4

Re: reply

Post by Clownmug » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 20:19

DAG368 wrote:All you have to do is wait until the modding community have made X4 a very good game by taking out the highways and putting in a jump drive, problem sorted.
Who needs mods when you can just open an excel spreadsheet while the starfield screensaver runs in the background?

thrangar
x4

Re: reply

Post by thrangar » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 21:14

DAG368 wrote:All you have to do is wait until the modding community have made X4 a very good game by taking out the highways and putting in a jump drive, problem sorted.
Actually modding will give you an even better game than that by letting you take out highways and not ad JD.

With modding being be offered thru steam( I can finally mod) this makes this version of X for me the most exciting Potential wise version of X I will ever play

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 21:47

Honved wrote:...it might behoove Egosoft to make it clear that highways are not nearly as important to the game as in XR, otherwise some of those players may stampede elsewhere, rather than toward X4.
You think? I'd say good speed.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 22:28

Honved wrote:... it might behoove Egosoft to make it clear that highways are not nearly as important to the game as in XR, otherwise some of those players may stampede elsewhere, rather than toward X4.
The thing is, they did.

The more frequent stomping/stampede scenario I've seen goes with "I haven't been on the forum in 18 months, logged in, saw a word I don't like, didn't bother looking at either the official info from the dev (like the Q&A thread), nor at the 30+ page thread discussing the point in particular, where ES staff have been active at explaining and discussing the topic to people." Then, stomping happens.

You can't blame Egosoft for not spreading the info if tantrum throwers are not going to read anything beyond the first thing they don't want to see. In this very case, the info is already present in numerous places.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 10. Aug 18, 23:54

Life's embarrassing moments turning up :

Spitting out the dummy and throwing the toys out of the pram.

Not reading recent posts or any previous discussion of your pet hate.

Personally speaking. I have quite a few things from every X game that I have not liked, made a few of them known on these forums.

But, yes there is always a but.

I fully intend to play the next game in the series.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Zetoss
x4

Re: Highways = I wont be playing

Post by Zetoss » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 03:24

vexter wrote:The funny part is, I only see a minority of vocal people who defended the highways, most of us dislike it (probably).
The thread itself is just as was already stated, embarrassing "foot stomping", but this right here though... I think this is a very common and very false assumption in a huge number of cases all over games forums. The number one thing posted on forums is complaints, a massively skewed picture is painted in numerous cases simply because those who are displeased with a thing are many times more likely to share their opinion than those who are perfectly happy with the same subject. Then we have the step beyond that: people who actually bother joining their 50th forum just to post about a game are a minority, the overwhelming majority of players don't share their thoughts at all.

Actually that's all of grave importance I wanted to point out, simple stuff but easily slips your mind at times. I very strongly prefer having efficient highways in core sectors and more open space in outskirts, sounds like that's what X4 is like so count me as happy. Well, as long as the highways LOOK good, please not another spinning tube straight out of middle school photoshop class...

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 04:08

My issue with highways in Rebirth was the excessive twists and turns, and the bumper car minigame. As long as they are designed reasonably (mostly straight lines, no constant bumping into other ships), where they provide a faster alternative to get to key areas than boosting alone, I don't see the problem with them.

Return to “X4: Foundations”