X4 An idea for a somewhat multiplayer experience...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Fri, 29. Jun 18, 13:02

adeine wrote: Tying any functionality in X4 to Steam seems like a terrible idea. Not only would they have to start over from scratch or maintain an entirely separate system in its place for the no steam version, or versions on separate platforms like GoG, but it would open an entirely new can of worms that Egosoft have no, or limited, control over.
Oh, I'm with you there, don't worry. Most likely if they did the Steam thing, it would just be conspicuously missing from the non-Steam version. I'm just proposing it since it's a game-specific chatroom, which is already implemented, and might be easily accessible through the Steam API.

Just a thought experiment, really - I'm happier if they don't attempt any chat at all.

Anndy578

Re: X4 An idea for a somewhat multiplayer experience...

Post by Anndy578 » Sun, 1. Jul 18, 01:39

Danny200 wrote:I'm not really a fan of multiplayer myself but seen a few posts about it. I know multiplayer won't be in the game and that's fine.

But how about when a player builds a player headquarters he can then install or buy a pice of hardware in-game to attach to his player H.Q a lot like a ship has upgrades

This upgrade will be something like a long distance universe radio or something... in short... a live chat room....

so when you dock at your player H.Q you can then have an interface up where other people are connected and you just talk... about anything... get tips request help ask for information... and the devs/admins of this game can maybe directly connect it to this website so they can assist in-game via the chat or keep an eye on bad people...

Once you leave your player H.Q the chat room will not be there and you can continue your single player game... you can come back to the player H.Q and share your stories and such in the chat lobby to other people...

It's a simple way to connect people without having to have a real multiplayer in game...

Anwyas it's just a suggestion...
if they are gonna go through the trouble of making a chat system(probably not THAT hard) they might as well just make it always there and you can turn it on and off whenever you want. would actually be a good way to ask for help without having to go to the forums and wait for a reply.
CBJ wrote:As mentioned at the start of the thread, some form of chat is technically feasible. The question is really whether it adds enough value when you weigh the development and maintenance overhead against the benefit of having an in-game chat as opposed to one running alongside it. That's debatable, but not beyond the realms of possibility.
the biggest benefit is higher numbers really. a lot of people never bother to read the forums and even less bother to post. even an official discord would see a fairly small portion of the population. having a text based chat system right in the game makes it there and very easy to access for everyone. i suppose it would also make people feel a bit less alone if they could watch people chatting away in game. for me personally it'd be nice to just ask a question in game rather then tab out and look it up

of course weather it's worth the dev time isn't really something players can decide as we have no idea how much time it takes so that's up to you

Malakie
x4

Re: X4 An idea for a somewhat multiplayer experience...

Post by Malakie » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 22:57

Danny200 wrote:I'm not really a fan of multiplayer myself but seen a few posts about it. I know multiplayer won't be in the game and that's fine.

But how about when a player builds a player headquarters he can then install or buy a pice of hardware in-game to attach to his player H.Q a lot like a ship has upgrades

This upgrade will be something like a long distance universe radio or something... in short... a live chat room....

so when you dock at your player H.Q you can then have an interface up where other people are connected and you just talk... about anything... get tips request help ask for information... and the devs/admins of this game can maybe directly connect it to this website so they can assist in-game via the chat or keep an eye on bad people...

Once you leave your player H.Q the chat room will not be there and you can continue your single player game... you can come back to the player H.Q and share your stories and such in the chat lobby to other people...

It's a simple way to connect people without having to have a real multiplayer in game...

Anwyas it's just a suggestion...

Good idea... and I am one of those that does NOT want multiplayer in the X universe... It would ruin the entire concept and reason that many of us enjoy the X universe... the ability to do our own thing on our own time at any time without some other person ruining it for us.

People that want multiplayer can always play Elite or Star Citizen, No Man's Sky or any number of other space games. My MMO side is in Star Citizen and Star Trek online.

But the X series IS MY offline go to series when I don't want to be dealing with PVP'rs, campers, griefers and pains in the ass players. There is no need what so ever for Egosoft to waste massive resources to re-invent something. The Franchise is because many of us who have been around since day one, stuck with because OF what it is and the game play (even with the one off X Rebirth side game).

Egosoft could always create a separate game within the X universe that is multiplayer I guess... but I sincerely hope they do not move the actual series and franchise into just multiplayer because, at least for me, it would be the end of an era...
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 23:36

the main appeal of mp in a game like x4 is cooperative not competitive.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 13:05

not a bad idea for those interested. personnaly its a room i will NEVER biuld. I play X games as solo and nothing diverting me from solo is just a noisance.

Return to “X4: Foundations”