Jumpdrives got me into X3, highways just dropped me off XR, and we're legion

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 1. Aug 18, 15:45

DavidGW wrote:Personally, I think highways should not be scrapped, just improved. They help bridge systems with quick, cinematic travel, while still allowing the player to drop out at any point along the highway. I don't think that should be given up.
I can accept highways, provided that they don't require a lot of attention to use (you enter, do whatever while you're sitting in the traffic pattern, and then exit when you approach the destination), and provided that they don't have an imposing physical presence that clutters the universe with "spaghetti".

In my opinion, they should be mostly empty space, with little or no physical structure except at periodic intervals to maintain ship speeds. Basically, they should be little more than "marked lanes" for high speed travel, or a row of lights, rather than "subways in space". Once they start looking like massive constructions with walls on an epic scale, they cease to be believable.

Having "highways" as marked routes to prevent collisions makes sense; we do that with air traffic now. Building tubes to contain that traffic makes no sense, ESPECIALLY if things are going to jostle and bump regularly. The idea is to PREVENT collisions by making traffic coherent, not guarantee collisions by packing the ships tightly together in a confined space. Once it becomes a mini-game to use, it's no longer a "feature", it's a mistake.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 14. Aug 18, 00:27

The Q wrote:Another user who knows what everyone wants, ignoring reasons behind decisions which have been communicated so far and discussed by other users in detail. What about stating your opinion as what it is an opinion, instead of calling everyone stupid, who does not agree with you?! I know it's a complicated concept, but feel free to try it.
That he does. Those reasons were "we want something new", if I remember it right. But then who we are to argue? I guess I'll just pick it up again when it goes below $10 to say "yes, it indeed sucks". My story with Rebirth that is going to repeat.

Return to “X4: Foundations”