Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 03:43

I haven't read anything about any permissions given for any use of Gnomoria code, though many people have said it must have been since he used some of the textures.

However, he only used the textures for his own testing purposes, not in any release version, and no use of any textures was permitted by Robobob AFAIK at last reading. (The Ingnomia creator had posted that in a reddit post, somewhere, about the use of the original textures in his testing. The release versions will all have original textures according to the last I read.)

AFAIK, nobody has reported being in contact with Robobob. If you come across anything that mentions that, I'd really like to see it! His wife had just had a baby and, IIRC, he was getting ready for a new job, last I heard.

(Also, all the official sites/wiki are gone with their regs.)

Anyway, it doesn't really matter as long as he's not using any of Gnomoria's assets - We may get the game that Gnomoria was supposed to be. :( I hope, at least!

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 08:46

IIRC it was a discussion in the comments on Steam, late last year I think.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 17:50

Solomon Short wrote:IIRC it was a discussion in the comments on Steam, late last year I think.
Thanks, I'll take a look for that!

I'm just so surprised because it would take contact with Robobob and I haven't heard anything about him rising to the surface since release.

Anyway, it's planned to be free and, if so, and if it delivers as promised, that'd be pretty darn great value. (Gnomoria is even still worth buying, at least on sale, despite some of its problems.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 19:07

Pretty big savings, here: https://www.stardock.com/colonize-the-u ... =SDNETHOME

Stardock Anniversary Bundle

Rimworld (!!)
Planetbase
GalCiv III
Offworld Trading Company

$40 (USD)

More deals: https://www.stardock.com/anniversary

I haven't used Stardock in forever... Their old front-end got confusing for awhile and just plain weird, so I dumped it. (Went to Gamestop, then Stardock resurrected it or something? Just too weird.)

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 22:16

- Planetbase is a really nice but gets boring real fast.
- Offworld Trading Company is fun for exactly one single game!

I thought Rimworld is an "indie" - like in indiependent - game?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 07:19

Tamina wrote:I thought Rimworld is an "indie" - like in indiependent - game?
Doesn't mean it can't be sold or promoted. X4 will be an "indie" game too ;)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 16:09

Tamina wrote:I thought Rimworld is an "indie" - like in indiependent - game?
Sure. That's the primary reason I posted it - Rimworld will never go on sale during it's beta and, so far, it hasn't. The only way it can be picked up at a discount is through bundles and offers like this.

I finally picked it up a few weeks ago after years of watching its development. And, I'm having a blast playing it. Great game. (Though, I knew it was a great game long before actually playing it. I was just stubbornly holding out for a sale...)

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 23:54

Star Ruler 2 is for free! Including its Expansion and Multiplayer!
If you know how to compile source code with Visual Studio 2017, that is.

Have fun! :D[/url]

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 27. Jul 18, 23:58

Star Ruler 2 is now Open Source: http://starruler2.com/

I played the first one. It had a very innovative ship construction system that was pretty interesting. (I don't know how similar this version is to that one.) The 3d ship models were in .obj format, too, which made for easy modding. But, the caveat was that there was only one ship model... (Larger ships were just larger scaled versions of it.) There were also some interesting automation dynamics, too, which made parts of it similar to an X3 experience in how certain automated conditions worked, so that was nice. Planetary construction, buildings, etc, followed a progression and interaction system that was fairly bare-bones, to say the least, and one could load up an automated "Governor" priority list that basically min-maxed everything. Kinda not explored enough, IMO, and certainly a bit of a waste. The Tech Tree was an interesting sort of change compared to standard trees, but it was also a bit confusing.

But, it wasn't a bad game, really. The worst part of the overall design was, IMO, that combat was a sort of bullet-hell experience, with individual ships really not being significant, despite the really innovative design system. What that means is that the time you put into designing a great ship didn't really make that ship very significant in combat experiences you had with them. So, your "Impenetrable Gladiator Howitzer Blow-Up Righteous Defiance of the Gods" uber-cruiser was... just another blob on the screen. It wasn't the special little snowflake you spent a lot of time tweaking the design of.

Anyway, none of that matters - This is Star Ruler 2 and it's Open Source, so go have some fun with it if you want a sort of RTS 4X game.

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 01:15

^^^ Cool
It's nice when dev's do this, it's a real boon to the modding community and is great PR for any future releases.

Well if you are into that, then check out:
Aurora 4X
what some describe as the Dwarf Fortress of Space 4X games,
it also comes at the great price of Free.
Here's a lets play to see if you like the look of it.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 20:44

OmegaKnight wrote:^^^ Cool
It's nice when dev's do this, it's a real boon to the modding community and is great PR for any future releases.

Well if you are into that, then check out:
Aurora 4X
what some describe as the Dwarf Fortress of Space 4X games,
it also comes at the great price of Free.
Here's a lets play to see if you like the look of it.
I remember seeing that game mentioned around here, before. Looks great! It reminds me a bit of the old "Stars" game, if anyone remembers that. But, Aurora looks way deeper than that, maybe even deeper than Distant Worlds too, in some ways. Just not as pretty, as if DW could be called "pretty." (Supposed to be a DW2 in production, IIRC, so maybe we'll get some 3d ships this time?)

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 14. Aug 18, 06:44

'Insurgency'

free on steam for 30 more hours
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 14. Aug 18, 19:58

muppetts wrote:'Insurgency'

free on steam for 30 more hours
If only it wasn't just a multi-player co-op game, I added it to my games before I noticed that, or I wouldn't have bothered.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 16:25

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... e-pc-game/

Orwell free for 24 hours on Humble Store

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 23. Aug 18, 17:40

For Honor starter edition free on steam until August 27, 2018.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comm ... e_to_keep/

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 23. Aug 18, 18:51

Just another multyplayer game with live services and DLC to pay for. To make matters worse, it is an Ubisoft game.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 18:44

Not free, but cheap: There's a total catalog sale on all THQ Nordi games on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thqnordic

A bunch of old titles are super-cheap if you want to refresh your memory of some old favorites by getting them into your Steam library.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 19:18

Morkonan wrote:Not free, but cheap: There's a total catalog sale on all THQ Nordi games on Steam.
Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition and the recent DLC Ragnarok are £35.98 *on sale*??? That's a 12-year-old game, and the DLC didn't upgrade the graphics in any way. You could get Grim Dawn and Ashes of Malmouth DLC for about the same money, and it's a better game IMHO.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 29. Aug 18, 15:00

Ingnomia "Early Access" is now released! (Basically "Open Alpha.")

https://store.steampowered.com/app/709240/Ingnomia/

It's totally free. It's going to be an attempt to combine Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress to make an easily accessible, but very deep, sim/colony manager.

A Lets Play vid I came across that prompted me to check on it, once again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuAP7U7Eaa4

(I've been checking for its release, but infrequently.)

The subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ingnomia/

PS - I can't get past DF's UI. I just can't... So, I've been pretty excited to see the possibility of having a game that's "almost Dwarf Fortress" for quite awhile. Gnomoria was/is pretty good, but there are some bugs that can render it unplayable and a really "long play" game makes them appearing almost a certainty.:(

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 05:37

Grab yourself a free copy of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine on Humble

Return to “Off Topic English”