A Non-Racist Discussion About Idris Elba And James Bond

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 02:55

muppetts wrote:being awarded a 00 status was always a tag name for agents, not specific, don't care what they say, Bond is just one 007 of many.

In Octopussy 009 is killed, he is not the last 009 or the only 009 or you would have agents with the code name 00275!

Obviously 00 is a designation, with that comes the concept that 'bond' is simply one of many cover identities used by agents and there is no reason that 007 Bond cannot be anyone.
Fair point. This works for me.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 03:21

From the number of times James Bond is called 007 by M it's tempting to think that the former name is a cover while the later is his real name. Makes you wonder what sort of parents would call their son 007 but there you go. :P

Seems to me that there's no reason for Mr Bond to hide his real name at all. He's not Jason Bourne.

He introduces himself as "The name's Bond, James Bond." He doesn't say "The name's Bond, James Bond 00 agent working for MI6" He never says this.

Unless the bad guys have a list of the names of all the secret agents there's no reason at all to hide his name and a number of good reasons not to. If you're working with a false name you've got to remember it. Huck Finn discovers this the hard way. You've also got to keep to it all the time. Given Mr Bond's fondness for the intoxicating spirits and the wimmins using a false name would be extremely dangerous as it would be so easy to slip up and reveal the real one.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 07:55

brucewarren wrote:From the number of times James Bond is called 007 by M it's tempting to think that the former name is a cover while the later is his real name. Makes you wonder what sort of parents would call their son 007 but there you go. :P

Seems to me that there's no reason for Mr Bond to hide his real name at all. He's not Jason Bourne.

He introduces himself as "The name's Bond, James Bond." He doesn't say "The name's Bond, James Bond 00 agent working for MI6" He never says this.

Unless the bad guys have a list of the names of all the secret agents there's no reason at all to hide his name and a number of good reasons not to. If you're working with a false name you've got to remember it. Huck Finn discovers this the hard way. You've also got to keep to it all the time. Given Mr Bond's fondness for the intoxicating spirits and the wimmins using a false name would be extremely dangerous as it would be so easy to slip up and reveal the real one.
Undercover agents work with various 'legends' or cover ID all the time, one would assume they hire people who have the ability to remember, the position of 00 being slightly more difficult than the fries guy at Mac Ds
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 10:35

brucewarren wrote:
Best Bond was actually David Niven :P
Was allegedly the Fleming’s first choice for Dr No.
A flower?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 21:34

I see no mention of George Lazenby... I knew someone that would literally get violent whenever anyone mentioned him and "Bond" and "that one movie that nobody should ever mention" all in the same sentence.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 22:13

Morkonan wrote:I see no mention of George Lazenby... I knew someone that would literally get violent whenever anyone mentioned him and "Bond" and "that one movie that nobody should ever mention" all in the same sentence.
You see no mention of him because he's not really relevant to a discussion about who's playing Bond nearly 50 years after his attempt? And frankly, Lazenby did a far better job at the role than people give him credit for--OHMSS actually had hints of a darker path for Bond than the Connery era, but we'll never see how that would have panned out due to Lazenby bailing on the role after one movie.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 13. Aug 18, 02:52

Decent enough story except for the end. It suffered from what I like to call sitcomitis.

You cannot have any significant change to the hero's circumstances because it screws up the next episode.
Spoiler
Show
In this case Bond could not be allowed to have a wife, so to allow another film in the series she has to die. There's no plot reason for it. It's just there to keep the poor bloke trapped in singlesville.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 16:47

Producers can say any stupid thing they want. They cant seriously claim this is "the" James Bond and make a movie that is not based on any of the books, and be set in present day.

At this point, Bond is not so much of a specific character, as is its own movie genre. He literally can be played by anyone and be canon, because each set of movies are their own universes. [1]

Is Idris Alba a good actor? If he is, - have at it.

[1] like all the other more modern James Bond movies;
like all the Batman movies;
like all the superhero movies in general;
like all the Sherlock Holmes movies

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 17:16

fiksal wrote:[...]

Is Idris Alba a good actor? If he is, - have at it.[...]
I would say yes, but judge for yourself.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

GageDragon
x4

Post by GageDragon » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 00:51

Couldn't care less about skin color if they have skills.

That said I do not care for Idris Elba at all. I think he is a boring non-charismatic no talent hack that brings down every scene he is in particularly when he speaks. But we do all have our own opinion :D

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 00:56

GageDragon wrote:But we do all have our own opinion :D
Indeed, yours just happens to wrong. :-P

MFG

Ketraar

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 23. Aug 18, 13:20

Apparently Idris Elba has now flat-out said he won't be the next Bond:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7 ... 007-movie/

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 19:05

I would watch the heck out of this: Wallace Shawn emerges as frontrunner for Bond!

:)

Inconceivable?

(Theonion is a parody site, but it's a darn good idea!)

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Wed, 5. Sep 18, 16:49

"M" as "Mum" was brilliant, so I'm disposed to a positive attitude, but the "rotating code name" explanation makes too much sense for the writers to have rejected it. Weird.

On the topic of Doctor Who's species turning out to be hermaphrodites I have only this to add:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc80tFJpTuo

Return to “Off Topic English”