Highways = I wont be playing

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 04:25

My problem with highways...

(booming announcer voice)

TUBES IN SPAAAAACE!!!
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 06:47

From Wikipedia.

A wormhole, also called an Einstein-Rosen Bridge, is a concept that represents a non-trivial solution of the Einstein field equations using the Kasner metric: a non-trivial resolution of the Ehrenfest paradox structure linking separate points in spacetime. A wormhole can be visualized as a tunnel with two ends, each at separate points in spacetime (i.e., Different locations and/or different points of time), or by a transcendental bijection of the spacetime continuum. More precisely, it is an asymptotic projection of the Calabi–Yau manifold manifesting itself in Anti-de Sitter space.

Wormholes are consistent with the general theory of relativity, but whether wormholes actually exist remains to be seen.

A wormhole could connect extremely long distances such as a billion light years or more, short distances such as a few meters, different universes, or different points in time.

For a simplified notion of a wormhole, space can be visualized as a two-dimensional (2D) surface. In this case, a wormhole would appear as a hole in that surface, lead into a 3D tube (the inside surface of a cylinder), then re-emerge at another location on the 2D surface with a hole similar to the entrance.

There you go TUBES in SPACE.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

StoogeR
x3tc

Post by StoogeR » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 09:13

I don't like highways either. Not the XR implementation at least. I liked highways in freelancer, 2 way straight lines (more or less.. they were ok-ish, still preferred "cruise drive" or whatever it was called) but this XR spaghetti...? Please don't.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 12:42

The thing about Freelancer's trade lanes is that not only do they look much better/less ridiculous from a suspension of disbelief point of approach, but they actively add to the gameplay.

Imagine you wanted to cap an Argon flagship, and you were able to plan and set an elaborate ambush between places by disabling a pair of accelerator rings; pulling it out of the 'highway' without adequate protection and into your waiting fleet. Much cooler addition to the game than swirly spaghetti minigames.

To reiterate what I said last time; if you want to have highways in X4, please rip off Freelancer's trade lanes, both in concept and gameplay value. :boron:

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 15:17

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:From Wikipedia.

A wormhole, also called an Einstein-Rosen Bridge, is a concept that represents a non-trivial solution of the Einstein field equations using the Kasner metric: a non-trivial resolution of the Ehrenfest paradox structure linking separate points in spacetime. A wormhole can be visualized as a tunnel with two ends, each at separate points in spacetime (i.e., Different locations and/or different points of time), or by a transcendental bijection of the spacetime continuum. More precisely, it is an asymptotic projection of the Calabi–Yau manifold manifesting itself in Anti-de Sitter space.

Wormholes are consistent with the general theory of relativity, but whether wormholes actually exist remains to be seen.

A wormhole could connect extremely long distances such as a billion light years or more, short distances such as a few meters, different universes, or different points in time.

For a simplified notion of a wormhole, space can be visualized as a two-dimensional (2D) surface. In this case, a wormhole would appear as a hole in that surface, lead into a 3D tube (the inside surface of a cylinder), then re-emerge at another location on the 2D surface with a hole similar to the entrance.

There you go TUBES in SPACE.

I would be fine with wormholes. Because you don't see the tube/tunnel. But that would be a gate by another name. My issue with highways is that I find them horribly unsightly. When you add mini-game like travel, it gets worse(though that might be mitigated or removed before release).
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Fenris321
x4

Post by Fenris321 » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 18:31

Even in Freelancer I never liked the trade lanes. For one, they where in a fixed position going from planet to planet ignoring the fact that planets have an orbit and distances will vary greatly. And two, it was really annoying to get pulled out of trade lanes by an attack from ships that stood no chance of winning. It was like getting attacked by gnats that you had to constantly swat away.

I'm not thrilled with jump drives being taken out of the game, they actually make more sense to me than teleportation. I can take a living organism and teleport it halfway across the galaxy (or however far the game allows), but not a giant hunk of machinery. But for game reasons, plots, missions, and reasons of creating tactical situations I can at least understand why the devs would want to remove them.

And honestly, highways in well developed areas of space and trade hubs do make sense. With that much traffic in the area you would want some kind of control over the traffic for safety and security concerns. And they have stated several times that highways will not be like the highways in XR.

But making a decision on whether to buy X4 based on highways being implemented is premature as the game is not even in a playable by the general public state yet. And I do have faith in egosoft, I believe they have learned from XR and previous X games, what works and what doesn't, what the fans want and what the fans hate. I have been involved in and played at least a dozen games in development (pre-alpha, alpha, beta, early access, etc.) and so far egosoft has been the best at communicating with fans, with the devs constantly checking and replying to forum threads. In short, I believe this will probably be the best X game yet and I wont let a single element break it for me. And I wont be running to the forums on day 1 of playing looking for a jump drive mod, I'll at leat give the game 150 hours or so before deciding if I want mods.

Malakie
x4

Re: Highways = I wont be playing

Post by Malakie » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 22:46

vexter wrote:Just read about the inclusion of highways in x4 and I'm crushed. Ive bought some of your games twice just to support the development of x4. What a waste.

Its really unfortunate that you have taken the advice of forum warriors. I was having too much fun in x3 and AP with mods to spend much time here.

So, farewell to you Egosoft. I will delete your game and company from my radar for a few years. Maybe you will be alive to get this right next time......
While MANY of us agree that we do not like the highways, apparently you missed the part where Egosoft said they heard and highways are not as in use as before and that a lot of the old ways of travel have been brought back into the game...

You might want to get all the information before making a decision you might regret.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 11. Aug 18, 23:51

Malakie wrote:
vexter wrote:Just read about the inclusion of highways in x4 and I'm crushed. Ive bought some of your games twice just to support the development of x4. What a waste.

Its really unfortunate that you have taken the advice of forum warriors. I was having too much fun in x3 and AP with mods to spend much time here.

So, farewell to you Egosoft. I will delete your game and company from my radar for a few years. Maybe you will be alive to get this right next time......
While MANY of us agree that we do not like the highways, apparently you missed the part where Egosoft said they heard and highways are not as in use as before and that a lot of the old ways of travel have been brought back into the game...

You might want to get all the information before making a decision you might regret.
I will go ahead and say that you are probaby talking to a brick wall at this point.

-Dna-
x4

Post by -Dna- » Sun, 12. Aug 18, 13:05

repatomonor wrote:
Malakie wrote:

I will go ahead and say that you are probaby talking to a brick wall at this point.
I agree. It is more probable that vexter clicked the wrong "New Topic" button instead of "Reply" :roll:
Remember: Good things don't come to an end: good things just stop. ~ [cit. Sean "Day[9]" Plott]

:xenon: Xenon Love! \#/ :xenon:
:split: Grill the Borons! :split:
:pirat: Real pirates (ab)use Jumpdrive (and Rum) :pirat:

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 01:16

Honved wrote:
spankahontis wrote:I feel like this is stomp feet behaviour, doesn't help in discussion.
One person stomping their foot is a tantrum. 1000 people stamping their feet is a stampede. I suspect that there are a lot of players who strongly disliked highways, and it might behoove Egosoft to make it clear that highways are not nearly as important to the game as in XR, otherwise some of those players may stampede elsewhere, rather than toward X4.

I don't like the mini-games of rebirth, but I still like the game overall.
Not going to stomp my feet and threaten quitting over a feature of many that I don't like.. Cause i'm a grown up and I've never played a game and liked every feature.
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Life's embarrassing moments turning up :

Spitting out the dummy and throwing the toys out of the pram.

Not reading recent posts or any previous discussion of your pet hate.

Personally speaking. I have quite a few things from every X game that I have not liked, made a few of them known on these forums.

But, yes there is always a but.

I fully intend to play the next game in the series.

+1
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 12:06

we won't miss you if you don't.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 12:17

I dislike when people's reasoning goes along the lines of: "Highways in XR were awful, therefore if they add highways into any future X game it will also be awful".

There is such a thing as hindsight, and the possibility to change a feature. That's what a new game is good for... iteration and innovation.

Egosoft have CLEARLY stated that they also were not happy with how highways were received in XR, and are changing the way highways function for X4. We can only wait and see but hopefully this iteration will be more acceptable and interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Personally I didn't think the highways in XR were the spawn of the devil, like some do, but I do think they had a lot of areas for potential improvement, which is exactly what I am expecting to see in X4. I am glad to see them try to improve the highways (as they are doing) instead of throwing them out of the window just because people don't think they worked well in XR, which is the first time they tried such a concept.
Admiral of the Fleet.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 13:54

Highways only have to be bidirectional and the tubes be invisible from greater distances, repeaters look much less ugly as far distance position markers.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 13:59

Vandragorax wrote:I dislike when people's reasoning goes along the lines of: "Highways in XR were awful, therefore if they add highways into any future X game it will also be awful".

There is such a thing as hindsight, and the possibility to change a feature. That's what a new game is good for... iteration and innovation.

Egosoft have CLEARLY stated that they also were not happy with how highways were received in XR, and are changing the way highways function for X4. We can only wait and see but hopefully this iteration will be more acceptable and interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Personally I didn't think the highways in XR were the spawn of the devil, like some do, but I do think they had a lot of areas for potential improvement, which is exactly what I am expecting to see in X4. I am glad to see them try to improve the highways (as they are doing) instead of throwing them out of the window just because people don't think they worked well in XR, which is the first time they tried such a concept.

Personally, I'd like to discover a section of space and make it my own territory and be able to build my own Highway to connect it to the other zones.
That would be interesting, to find an area of space you haven't explored in a while and found new Highways are built connecting to new areas of space.
Maintains Exploration for a little bit longer when new regions pop up.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 13:08

spankahontis wrote:
Personally, I'd like to discover a section of space and make it my own territory and be able to build my own Highway to connect it to the other zones.
That would be interesting, to find an area of space you haven't explored in a while and found new Highways are built connecting to new areas of space.

I believe, from what has been revealed so far, that there will still be an aspect of discovery in X4 because the highways will only be used now to travel through major arteries of space. As soon as you want to go "off the beaten track" you will break away from highway travel and there will be a need for exploration, using radars/satellites and visual elements to explore and find new things.

I doubt we will be able to build our own highways, which could be kind of interesting but not sure how much I'd actually want to use such a feature. It's nice, though, that we will have an option to construct a station either close to a highway and civilised areas, or far away from highways in the middle of 'deep space' thus giving us the option of a more out-of-the-way base location if desired.

I don't believe that 'claiming' space has been mentioned so far from Egosoft, although now that stations will be fully destroyable it's clearly possible to wipe out a faction from an already established place and take it over outselves should we have the desire and firepower to do so. The only thing I recall hearing about 'claming' space has been that building plots will be cheaper further into deep-space, and more expensive closer to already populated areas.
Admiral of the Fleet.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 19:08

Vandragorax wrote:
I don't believe that 'claiming' space has been mentioned so far from Egosoft, although now that stations will be fully destroyable it's clearly possible to wipe out a faction from an already established place and take it over outselves should we have the desire and firepower to do so. The only thing I recall hearing about 'claming' space has been that building plots will be cheaper further into deep-space, and more expensive closer to already populated areas.
They said in a stream that they don't plan on addig sector take-over in the classic sense (which never happened officially but through scripts). The plot system will be defining your presence in a system.

I'm afraid that eradicating an entire race will be up for modders once again.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 14:37

Vandragorax wrote:
spankahontis wrote:

I believe, from what has been revealed so far, that there will still be an aspect of discovery in X4 because the highways will only be used now to travel through major arteries of space. As soon as you want to go "off the beaten track" you will break away from highway travel and there will be a need for exploration, using radars/satellites and visual elements to explore and find new things.

I doubt we will be able to build our own highways, which could be kind of interesting but not sure how much I'd actually want to use such a feature. It's nice, though, that we will have an option to construct a station either close to a highway and civilised areas, or far away from highways in the middle of 'deep space' thus giving us the option of a more out-of-the-way base location if desired.

I know in a sense you can't CWIR the Sector/Zone; or eradicate a Faction.
Which I would love to see.. They could at least give us an option/tickbox before you start a New Game that allows for Eliminating Factions.

Make it optional, some people might not want to conquer space in a military sense, but many of us do, why CWIR and WWX is among the most popular mods to download.

They're thinking on a "Keep the Game Functional" sense.
But they should at least make it optional for us.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 14:49

I hope the ai building up empires is optional as dunno if id like it as im not one for fleet building late game also dont fancy hard competition. X games is usually nice and easy going unless you start the trouble, which i like.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 19:40

That's the usual way of things, though - the base game establishes the borders and alliances and defines how the economy works, but places the factions in a more or less stable configuration. Then the modders get their hands on it and come up with things like RRF, Mayhem, and CWIR for those who want some monkey wrenches thrown into their universe. So the folks who want a relatively chill game get what they want (vanilla), and those who want galactic war can have their game too.

Honestly, that's probably going to be the way it goes with the highways. Base game will have them, then the modders will remove them for the folks that don't like them. And maybe even add more of them for the folks that DO like them, I dunno. ^^
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Grambambuli
x2

Post by Grambambuli » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 09:27

Ok, bye.

Return to “X4: Foundations”