Question: Player Logos?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spankahontis
x4

Question: Player Logos?

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 01:37

So, how do you choose your Company Logos in the game?

Can you upload your own?

If not, is it easy to mod into?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Question: Player Logos?

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 09:35

spankahontis wrote:So, how do you choose your Company Logos in the game?

Can you upload your own?

Since the game doesn't have a launcher anymore, it's most likely an ingame option with its dedicated folder in the my documents directory.

spankahontis
x4

Re: Question: Player Logos?

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 13:53

repatomonor wrote:
spankahontis wrote:So, how do you choose your Company Logos in the game?

Can you upload your own?

Since the game doesn't have a launcher anymore, it's most likely an ingame option with its dedicated folder in the my documents directory.

So, it would be a case of a 100x100 image in a Jpeg format copy/paste job in the folder to see it in game?

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 17:11

It is planned to be able to choose between a few predefined ones and also be able to add your own logo. This is WIP though so please take this info with caution.
Format (i think!) will be tga, png or jpg. though a format with transparency support is king, as you dont want to have a fat full square as logo usually.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 20:18

Well there still are alot things still WIP.... for a scheduled release in 2018... Not telling BErnt lied when he recently assured me release would happen in 2018 but i still have lots of doubt on that knowing that for gold game must be finalized one month before reaching stores.... it only leaves you 3 months...

But i like the idea we can harbor on our ships our own logo

Dingus Rex

Post by Dingus Rex » Thu, 16. Aug 18, 21:02

I think it's more that the devs don't want to make promises about features they can't guarantee will be in.

Not being able to put a logo on your ship is not exactly a showstopper for release.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 00:28

Yeah, but it IS weird that Linolafett and j.harshaw are replying with "still WIP" in different topics. I don't know game developer business but when we are developing something we have a fixed time managment and a feature list that has to be ready on schedule. There is no "maybe" or "think", either there is or there is not.

I know and understand though that Linolafett is an artist and not a programmer. I really appreciate the time he takes reading and replying here to give us at least some insight even if it is not his business (likewise CBJ and j.harshaw).

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 01:22

It's not weird at all. In game development very few things are set in stone. Even at a late stage, if a feature doesn't quite work out as well as had been hoped, or maybe causes performance problems, it can be removed from the game. Making a firm promise about anything during development is also not an attractive proposition, when the result if things don't turn out quite as hoped is frequently a pitchfork-wielding mob accusing you of lying or worse. ;)

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 01:44

CBJ wrote:It's not weird at all. In game development very few things are set in stone. Even at a late stage, if a feature doesn't quite work out as well as had been hoped, or maybe causes performance problems, it can be removed from the game. Making a firm promise about anything during development is also not an attractive proposition, when the result if things don't turn out quite as hoped is frequently a pitchfork-wielding mob accusing you of lying or worse. ;)
Here's hoping you guys avoid the pitchfork-wielding mob this time by releasing a solid game that is mostly free of major bugs in a few months!

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Fri, 17. Aug 18, 02:08

Well in my humble opinion I think ES is doing a very good job of communicating, not only the games but also the responses on this forum are above and beyond what most studios ever do for their fans, I frankly can't think of any other studio that both communicates as openly and keeps improving games as much post release. Not making uncertain promises is a good thing.

Being able to use custom player logos is a very nice touch, honestly one I will probably not even use but it's one of those neat "options" that just brings a little something extra to a game (and I'm just happy knowing it exists) so here's hoping no trouble prevents it from being in the final version. While half way on the topic of communication, allow me to say something to CBJ, linolafett and j.harshaw: Thank you for taking the time to clear things up, sharing news, asking for feedback and keeping a generally good tone in the forums. I'd like to say the same to everyone at ES of course, just happened to see you three participate most in recent months so you get special treatment. Wanted to make sure you know it doesn't go unnoticed, would imagine it can get rough when some players only keep talking about the things they Don't like so a little pat on the back once in a while probably won't hurt you. :D

Also yes I'm a total fanboy but that's separate from this little outburst, this is just something I wanted to say as a human being feeling gratitude and has very little connection with the rest of this thread.

jukematt
x3tc

Player Logos Returning??!! YES!

Post by jukematt » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 02:14

I remember back in X2 you could apply your own logo to the ships. I have missed that feature sorely. It applies a stronger form of ownership to your ships when you can see your logo plastered on the side. I made up this fake organization called EARTH CORP where I simply used a picture of Earth and then MS Paint to add the fancy text. It was awesome. I still have that file.
"Happiness is an inner state that we choose to embrace or not. While others can be nurturing toward us, only we can choose to experience happiness." Micah R. Sadigh, PhD

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 22:56

linolafett wrote:It is planned to be able to choose between a few predefined ones and also be able to add your own logo. This is WIP though so please take this info with caution.
Format (i think!) will be tga, png or jpg. though a format with transparency support is king, as you dont want to have a fat full square as logo usually.

Awesome!! So you'll be using Alpha Channel imagery?
Png's are said to be better at transparency than jpegs.
Dingus Rex wrote:I think it's more that the devs don't want to make promises about features they can't guarantee will be in.

Not being able to put a logo on your ship is not exactly a showstopper for release.
You're underestimating what a little thing like this can do.. It personalises your Faction. If you're playing the business mogul, it's essential to have your own Company Logo.
Immersion Factor for something like this would be massive!

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 14:01

spankahontis wrote: Png's are said to be better at transparency than jpegs.
That's because standard JPEG doesn't support transparency and nobody uses JPEG 2000.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 17:15

spankahontis wrote:
Dingus Rex wrote:I think it's more that the devs don't want to make promises about features they can't guarantee will be in.

You're underestimating what a little thing like this can do.. It personalises your Faction. If you're playing the business mogul, it's essential to have your own Company Logo.
a Showstopper is something which would delay the Release if it does not work. If Logos somehow didnt work shortly before release would you think its ok to postpone the release to get it working, or would you ship anyway and maybe fix it later? Showstopper is the former case, and Logos dont fall in that category imo. nevertheless they are a nice touch.
(Just clarifying what Showstopper means, nothing else.)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 21. Aug 18, 19:28

UniTrader wrote:
spankahontis wrote:

a Showstopper is something which would delay the Release if it does not work. If Logos somehow didnt work shortly before release would you think its ok to postpone the release to get it working, or would you ship anyway and maybe fix it later? Showstopper is the former case, and Logos dont fall in that category imo. nevertheless they are a nice touch.
(Just clarifying what Showstopper means, nothing else.)

Be the case that they would just disable the scripts or remove them from the engine to be worked on for a future patch release like they released so many new features in Rebirth Patch updates?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 14:31

Question to Egosoft - are player logos something you assign to your entire company (all the ships an stations), or can you choose different logos for different ships? E.g. different logo for fighter and different for Destroyer?

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 14:50

It's most likely the old style, where a logo represents a faction (and you are the player faction).

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 15:15

Yes, they are faction logos.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 16:22

CBJ wrote:Yes, they are faction logos.

ALSO.. Can you change your Logo in mid/late-game if you grow bored?
Or you choose it at the Beginning of your game and are stuck with it?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 17:10

I would expect to. I'd hate to start with a meme on the side of my ship and not be able to change it when it becomes irrelevant. I'm sure Lino can also relate. :roll: <--- Totally not a hidden link which no one has found in weeks
Last edited by Xenon_Slayer on Sat, 8. Sep 18, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X4: Foundations”