[X3TC] Getting rid of the smaller rocks permanently without using scripts

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

atavistuk
x4

[X3TC] Getting rid of the smaller rocks permanently without using scripts

Post by atavistuk » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 18:27

As I understand it, I can get rid of large asteroids that show up on the map by installing a mine then destroying it.

However, I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of the smaller ones. (I sort of want to clear Kingdom End and site my PHQ [If I ever get it] there, or at least have it nice and clear so I can idle there and enjoy the view.) I could spend hours shooting them up, I'd rather not use AoE weapons though. (Even if fried squid does taste lovely) Is there a way to do it and turn a profit without being In Sector as some threads seem to suggest, or am I mixing X3R or X3AP?

Honved
x3tc

Re: [X3TC] Getting rid of the smaller rocks permanently without using scripts

Post by Honved » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:24

The smaller rocks will respawn indefinitely in TC. There may be a mod to disable them, but I'm not positive that it can be disabled, if it's built into the game's .exe file.

atavistuk
x4

Post by atavistuk » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:28

Darn. Thanks for letting me know!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 19:32

Rocks respawn OOS in TC. That is quite certain.

There are some claims that one could destroy them permanently IS. Mobile mining, shooting, ramming.

Why destroy a Mine? Tow it out of the way.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 20:03

For X3TC: IS shooting & ramming for the smallest rocks gave permanent removal, any form of exhaustive mining & collecting did not as it just encouraged a respawn of rock clusters (IS or OOS).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 21:38

Basically, it's possible to remove every rock in the system, but ay time that you leave and return, they're back. It MAY be possible to thin some clusters without having the entire cluster regenerate....you'd have to try it, but my assumption is that the placements are pre-defined, so everything is probably regenerated each time you enter.

There were a few specific rock clusters that I'd really liked to have removed, serious navigation hazards pretty close to the front of a gate.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:12

Nope, shoot or ram them to destruction IS and they're gone for good. Just don't mine or collect all the cluster rocks in TC if you want to avoid respawns.

The only exceptions that I can think of that might be confusing things is that full-size asteroids that you break up will indeed respawn as full-sized asteroids in the same place with similar mineral yield unless you put a mine station on it before you tow it away, self-destruct it or otherwise destroy it. The other wrinkle is that if you break up lots and lots of rocks to smallest size (perhaps in preparation for rock collecting) the game *may* amalgamate them into a cluster of bigger rocks (of no mineral value) should you leave their immediate area. This is an out-of-sight game mechanic designed to help you avoid getting poor IS fps, but it can be annoying for miners/collectors.

Removal of inconvenient rock clusters? Just shoot or ram them away.

(BTW: rock = any asteroid below the full sector map asteroid size that you can build a mine on.)

atavistuk
x4

Post by atavistuk » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 22:52

Ah so they CAN be cleared. I just can't profit from it? (Sell the ore/silicon/whatever)

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 02:09

Debris rocks are finite and can be mobile mined to extinction in both TC and AP but a lot of sectors have several hundred thousand units worth before they are depleted. Just have a fleet of 100 TS ships set to mine minerals and they should clear it in a few days.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 14:27

"Debris rocks are finite and can be mobile mined to extinction in both TC and AP "

Not really true in X3TC. If you mine or collect (IS or OOS) all the rocks from a cluster (say a typical cluster of 2 rocks that can be split and a few of the smallest size ones) then the cluster will respawn nearby when the last rock of the previous cluster is collected. That is exactly how the TC infinite mining in one location exploit works. X3AP does not have this cluster respawn mechanism.

If you stay IS with the mining ships in TC, they might have enough accidental weapon kills of the smallest rocks to avoid every cluster respawning. That may gradually reduce the rock population by mining over time, but it will tie the player to remaining in that sector.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 17:34

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 14:27
If you mine or collect (IS or OOS) all the rocks from a cluster (say a typical cluster of 2 rocks that can be split and a few of the smallest size ones) then the cluster will respawn nearby when the last rock of the previous cluster is collected.
That may be extremely useful to know. If one can "thin the herd" down to one or two rocks, it makes it a lot easier to navigate around or through such rock clusters....just don't clear the last rock from the cluster. I guess we need to try it and verify that the the missing rocks within the cluster don't respawn. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 15:06

The Mod "Remove Rocks" might be helpful for some of you. The Download-link still works.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”