Married People (advice)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Married People (advice)

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 23:39

PowerPC603 wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 23:37
Every year my wife asks me what I would like for my birthday in december, and I always say that I don't know what I would like.

Now I told my wife that I do know what I want this year: a new gfx card for about 199 euros, the NVidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB.
Because a new spacegame is coming out in november and my current gfx card (ATI Radeon HD 7770 1GB) won't be able to even start the game.

And she agreed.
So she quietly accepted a long gaming period as well :p

I hope I made a good choice.
I don't have many options, befause any other higher card costs a bit more and requires even more power and I'm not sure if my PSU can give more juice.
The GTX 1050TI consumes about the same power as my current card but should be at least twice as fast.
Are you me? I had/have the exact same cards.

Anyway, the 1050Ti is pretty beast in its price range, good choice.

JSalzbrunn
x4

Post by JSalzbrunn » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 02:33

PowerPC603 wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 23:37
I don't have many options, befause any other higher card costs a bit more and requires even more power and I'm not sure if my PSU can give more juice.
The GTX 1050TI consumes about the same power as my current card but should be at least twice as fast.
You are aware that the 1050 TI is below the minimum specs? Even my old GTX770 had more power and was still below min.

https://www.pc-erfahrung.de/grafikkarte ... liste.html

Better go for a used 1060 6 GB. I got one for 140 € so my son is able to play X4. (He will get my rig, i will build me a new one)

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 04:14

If X4 works on release there wont be much impact, but if not I know as least one guy who will get another child.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 04:27

spankahontis wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 23:47

Not a cat person?

You don't just IGNORE A CAT!! :lol:
my cat gets the water(faucet) and their food themself, if its in the storage container(20 Kg dry food) . i just need to figureout how they clean the litterbox alone until December :gruebel:
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 16:28

Rice wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 04:27
spankahontis wrote:

Not a cat person?

my cat gets the water(faucet) and their food themself, if its in the storage container(20 Kg dry food) . i just need to figureout how they clean the litterbox alone until December :gruebel:

Mine just does it's business where it likes, preferably in the shower cubical :arrow: :rant: :lol:
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 17:02

shower cubical is quite convience, grab a flap of toiletpaper and Michael Jordan it into the mighty Hole .
Its gets nasty if you have some carpets and they would drop it there instead , preferable fluidish.
or Jizzing/marking the Pc tower because he is new and frying up the mainboard as they gave it a broadside through the "Fan Holes" :D

but .... i hope your better side / worse side won't behave as some cats around this thread :lol:
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

wh1tewolf8
x4

Post by wh1tewolf8 » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 17:40

after 16 years of marriage my wife and i came to an agreement.
I dont play games and in return she doesnt nag.........
instead what happens now is that i enjoy visualy epic virtual simulations and my wife *cough* gently reminds me of all the work i've yet to finish :mrgreen:

WildAce
x4

Post by WildAce » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 13:44

I'm not married, but my boss approved the 30th, and 1st as unpaid days off, then i have 2nd 3rd as my normal availability restricted days, and depending on how much im enjoying the game, i might call off on the 4th and 5th, to get a solid 6 days with the game before going back to work.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 16:55

Rice wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 04:27
spankahontis wrote:

Not a cat person?

It's possible to train a cat to use a human toilet. I saw a kit for sale at a pet store used to train cats to do that.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 16:58

I once trained a cat to fetch little balls of rolled up tin-foil. Just like a dog after a ball.

This cat still had real trouble with a computer mouse and keyboard though. So its never going to compete with me when playing an X game.

[Edit] My partner then used to tease the cat with a little wooden mouse on a piece of string. Until the night the cat brought back a live one to play with in the house!
Last edited by ZaphodBeeblebrox on Sun, 7. Oct 18, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 16:59

This thread is now officially about cats.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 17:16

At the moment I don't have a cat. So I'm not able to solicit an opinion regarding X4. I do have a significant other. She has very definite opinions on computer games, none of which I could type here...

So being married is not some special case when it comes to spending time playing (AKA dicking about with) your favourite games, and then getting grief from your partner.

Having someone else to share you life means just that I'm afraid. Every now and then you have to share some time with them. You know, like every 3rd Sunday afternoon in the month.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 17:37

Oh I know all about the problems with computer games and marriage. If you are someone (like me) who likes computer games very much, then I can almost guarantee you will have relationship problems which center around gaming. So if you value your marriage, you WILL have to learn to spend less time (perhaps a lot less time) playing than you might be inclined to. My advice for married people, is whatever your gaming habits are, work with your spouse to try and find some mutually agreeable compromise, and then stick with the agreed upon solution. Sometimes the agreed upon solution, when put into practice, may still not be good, so you have to keep evaluating to try and find a solution that works for both your desires to have some personal gaming time, and her desires for you to spend more time with her or the family.

Some people who like to game a lot may then come to the conclusion that it is better to never get married, because your spouse will in all likelihood have an anti-gaming stance, at least for the amount you like to game. But there is a lot more to life than games, and some of the deepest and most lasting joys in life come from family relationships, so it would be very shortsighted to give up on that in order to have the fleeting pleasure that typically comes from gaming.

jamesdehunter
x4

Post by jamesdehunter » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 19:14

I've been sowing the seeds with my fiancee, she knows only too well from past experience that the more I nerd out and obsess about a game the less she is going to see me when it releases.

As I'm now in the habit of watching the dev updates every evening and stalking the EgoSoft twitter feed compulsively, she has realised that I will effectively be dead from the 30th of November through to the new year :D

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Mon, 8. Oct 18, 09:00

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 7. Oct 18, 17:37
Oh I know all about the problems with computer games and marriage. If you are someone (like me) who likes computer games very much, then I can almost guarantee you will have relationship problems which center around gaming. So if you value your marriage, you WILL have to learn to spend less time (perhaps a lot less time) playing than you might be inclined to. My advice for married people, is whatever your gaming habits are, work with your spouse to try and find some mutually agreeable compromise, and then stick with the agreed upon solution. Sometimes the agreed upon solution, when put into practice, may still not be good, so you have to keep evaluating to try and find a solution that works for both your desires to have some personal gaming time, and her desires for you to spend more time with her or the family.

Some people who like to game a lot may then come to the conclusion that it is better to never get married, because your spouse will in all likelihood have an anti-gaming stance, at least for the amount you like to game. But there is a lot more to life than games, and some of the deepest and most lasting joys in life come from family relationships, so it would be very shortsighted to give up on that in order to have the fleeting pleasure that typically comes from gaming.
Get a 2nd rig
Get a 2nd copy of the game

Tell her you thought it would be fun if you both played together
add the caveat "Though you may not like it, it's too hard for women to play properly"

you'll get 2 responses
"i'll see you at the divorce hearing"
or
"What you've only made 20b credits, god you're a clueless noob"

technically, from a gaming standpoint it's a win win

Train your cat to poop in your neighbours garden, litter tray issues resolved.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 17:20

I'll take care of your gerbils for you, I need them to power my autopilot... er, I mean watch as they run in their wheels.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Drakuel
x4

Post by Drakuel » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:55

I have been married for 15 years, one thing I have learned is that it is a partnership. Most good games these days are filled with 40 plus hours of main content, let alone all side stuff you can do, I always involve my wife in my gaming..

Some games she dont like to watch, others she loves, the important part is I do sessions, no one is forcing you to play 3 days straight, plus not very healthy.. I also do date nights and activities with her she likes, long as there is balance you will not have any issues, in fact you will find your wife more excited for you to play...

In the beginning she didn't even like or understand games, but now she is like we going to play tonight, once she feels she is doing it WITH you it changes a womans physche on it....

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 17:20

My wife is a big fan of the Sims, and the "Get Famous" expansion comes out on Nov 16th. So... she get's that... I get X4... marital bliss :-D

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 06:54

My wife still comes up to me and occasionally says "Show me your wares please" :roll: from my X: rebirth binge gaming days. I am looking forward to what tidbits she will pick up this time around with X4.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:48

How does one convince their spouse that buying a 1080Ti is a good idea?
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

Return to “X4: Foundations”