Can we see actual gameplay?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DaMuncha
x4

Re: Can we see actual gameplay?

Post by DaMuncha » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 13:57

DavidGW wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 12:52
barszcz wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 10:39
Also remember that a video about PHQ was promised to us before release, so we should all keep our fingers crossed :)
If you really want a video outlining the Player HQ, maybe you should record a few shots of your computer desk? I know mine is my player HQ...
Well ok then how about this
https://imgur.com/a/GhaXw16

I dont think it counts tho.
Just... another... bug.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 13:58

Dreez wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 13:51
It's getting closer now, only 12? days left for release
Watch out! You risk a heart attack by the devs.
22 Days are left. Release is Nov. 30.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

nalim27
x4

Post by nalim27 » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 16:56

LittleBird wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 13:58
Dreez wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 13:51
It's getting closer now, only 12? days left for release
Watch out! You risk a heart attack by the devs.
22 Days are left. Release is Nov. 30.
Exactly. He probably swapped release date with Battlefield 5 (20 Nov.)

So only 3 weeks from now .... it will be SOON (tm) :-)
Mine rig - X4 ready :-) Windows 10 64b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clocks 3.7GHz + 4.3GHz boost), 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM,
GPU: AMD Vega64 8 GB HBM, played on 2569x1440, Freesync2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCI-ex

CPU before 1.7.2018: Intel Xeon E5450@3.6GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM,

ZaldronTheSage
x4

Post by ZaldronTheSage » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 17:41

Ultimately it is the company who provides a product, and a customer who decides to purchase the product based on their views. This is the same for shoes, clothing, automobiles and even space rockets.

If you do not like what a company is doing, then carry on. While it may be nice for more videos, there will never be 100% fulfillment for every potential or current customer as everyone has different standards and tastes. We are human after all.
"Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds."
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:25

To clarify a few things about XR release:

- It was on a new engine so devs had little experience at the time compared to now
- The game was tested on a small number of computers as Egosoft is a small company this was the main cause of the performance issues
- Most refunds were claimed because of the performance issues
- The game got 20+ patches in the first 2 months
- XR VR was released on the Vulkan engine which X4 uses and that didn't have issues afaik (I don't have a VR set)

How this translates to this whole topic:
- If the devs release a gameplay video (as they did in the past year 3 times) you cannot check for performance issues since it will be on the PC they use and know
- No sane Devs will show bugs/glitches connected to the story or mechanics on screen. You can't check for those in a released gameplay video
- The only time they could have reliably shown bugs or glitches is at a live show which they skipped this year. We can do nothing about this anymore since release is around the corner. That could have also been a special dev version as well like NMS had with way more detailed creatures in their show version than in the actual game (Funnily enough some glitches were caught there on camera and people still bought the game) However I can totally understand the people who pointed to this lack of presentation.

Taking all these into account anyone skeptical here will(should) stay the same regardless if they put a 20 hour gameplay video on Youtube or not.

I bought the CE while knowing full well what to expect from an X game at launch. Anyone else who is just a little bit skeptical I ADVISE TO STAY AWAY from the game until us "Egosoft fanboys" (lol) post our experiences.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:41

DaMuncha wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 13:57
DavidGW wrote:
barszcz wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 10:39
Also remember that a video about PHQ was promised to us before release, so we should all keep our fingers crossed :)
If you really want a video outlining the Player HQ, maybe you should record a few shots of your computer desk? I know mine is my player HQ...

Eww, there are used tissues crumpled on your desk (please God stop me from thinking about how they were used!). For crying out loud, there was an empty roll of toilet paper. Muncha, you should probably police that up before you let us view the inner sanctum of your little bachelor pad :lol:
Ayn Rand was correct.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 19:52

csaba wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:25

- If the devs release a gameplay video (as they did in the past year 3 times) you cannot check for performance issues since it will be on the PC they use and know
I shortened it to highlight this point

And there you make a logical mistake.
Most refunds are based on the performance issues and bugs because they are the first problems you notice in a game. If it is technically unplayable you will never see other issues.
So you have to ask: Assumed X:Rebirth had zero performance issues and was bug free, would people have refunded it because of other things?
And there is a lot. Just remember what Egosoft patched gameplay wise and you have your answer.

So your argument that video material can not show performance issues and bugs is hardly relevant.
Video material is often polished. That is common sense. So nobody expects discovering bugs and glitches.

But refusing to show more video material has the feeling the game could be buggy.
Refusing to show game mechanics has the feeling they are poorly designed like in X-Rebirth (*cough* Minigames and cleptomania on stations *cough*)
And that is because the amount of information material on X-Rebirth was also low.
People now see similarities to the disastrous X-Rebirth launch.

Showing more video material could reduce such concerns even if everybody knows the material is hand-picked.

Understand this post as an explanation not a demand on Egosoft

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 20:27

LittleBird wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 19:52
csaba wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:25

I shortened it to highlight this point

And there you make a logical mistake.
Most refunds are based on the performance issues and bugs because they are the first problems you notice in a game. If it is technically unplayable you will never see other issues.
So you have to ask: Assumed X:Rebirth had zero performance issues and was bug free, would people have refunded it because of other things?
And there is a lot. Just remember what Egosoft patched gameplay wise and you have your answer.

Understand this post as an explanation not a demand on Egosoft
- No they couldn't cause by design you need to play more than 2 hours to face most of those bugs/bad game mechanics at which point your steam refund will likely be voided.

- Also because of this design the Devs cannot show every aspect of gameplay cause it would be literally a several hour long video. They could ofc edit in the "important" stuff. However what's "important" is subjective.

-For example The sliders (which I hate btw) were not (or not properly) shown pre-XR launch. The Devs deemed it unnecessary to show, they obviously didn't think about it much at the time since they didn't change the damned thing in 3 years so they can still care less.

-For example they can edit out the travel time between the stations in a video for good reasons (don't want to spoil every ship pre launch) and there could be a dozen things happening there that could annoy someone while the ones doing the video bat no eye to it, find it not important enough to show

- Gameplay in a game like X4 is an evolving thing based on FEEDBACK. You can't give proper feedback unless you play the game. You can only make ASSUMPTIONS on a video. There were plenty of SUGGESTIONS (from experience with previous games )on this forum which the Developers probably read even if only the title

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 22:17

csaba wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 20:27
- No they couldn't cause by design you need to play more than 2 hours to face most of those bugs/bad game mechanics at which point your steam refund will likely be voided.
You face the awfull minigames in your first hour for sure. You face the tedious i-hunting on stations, your stupid personal inventory in stations and you face all... two useless airvents.
csaba wrote:
- Also because of this design the Devs cannot show every aspect of gameplay cause it would be literally a several hour long video. They could ofc edit in the "important" stuff. However what's "important" is subjective.
Nobody is asking for a presentation of everything.
csaba wrote:
- Gameplay in a game like X4 is an evolving thing based on FEEDBACK. You can't give proper feedback unless you play the game. You can only make ASSUMPTIONS on a video. There were plenty of SUGGESTIONS (from experience with previous games )on this forum which the Developers probably read even if only the title
Showing the mechanics is also gameplay.
We saw the new map, a tiny bit of station building and ship equipment... that's it!

Now check X-Rebirth. Videos that explained the mechanics 2 months before release.
Honestly I can't believe it. Actually we had more shown of the game from X-Rebirth than X4! :o
I should stop digging further.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 22:50

LittleBird wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 22:17
csaba wrote:
You face the awfull minigames in your first hour for sure. You face the tedious i-hunting on stations, your stupid personal inventory in stations and you face all... two useless airvents.
No you don't refund in that case in an Hour. I hated the sliders but I just avoided them until I realized they are necessary for getting upgrades for your NPCs which came way later. I probably didn't open my inventory for hours since there was no need for it. Vents I only did like once or twice and left the station. Other complaints were about the single ship being the Skunk but that was communicated a lot. The lazy capital ship "bridge" designs weren't apparent until you got your second Cap ship and realized it's the same damn docking area.

LittleBird wrote:
csaba wrote:
Showing the mechanics is also gameplay.
We saw the new map, a tiny bit of station building and ship equipment... that's it!
plus travel mode, the majority of ship classes, a bunch of walking around on docks, we saw the trading, there is screenshot here on the forums on the ship buying screen, boosting, FA off (or decoupled for SC players), adapting flight controls, SETA, a carrier launching fighters, a bunch of AI built stations, we know there are 3 main races, we know about 2 starting scenarios, we know about 2 paranid factions fighting to the death, Accelerators-Highways, we know how travel will be between sectors.

LittleBird wrote:
Now check X-Rebirth. Videos that explained the mechanics 2 months before release.
Honestly I can't believe it. Actually we had more shown of the game from X-Rebirth than X4! :o
I Call BS. There was 1 25 minute video and a few 2-5 minutes ones for XR, X4 had so far 3 60+ minutes ones, 2 trailers +one extra gameplay video.
Please point out 1 thing pre launch XR videous showed X4 didn't show so far.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 23:22

And again, this is a free and open forum. We are allowed to post our opinions, and others are allowed to post theirs, and people don't always agree. However, it's getting to a point where I kinda feel personally attacked for voicing my concerns, and how it makes me feel as a customer. As I said, I don't think Egosoft is withholding information to scam us out of money, and releasing information early can be both a boon and a detriment. It is ultimately their decision, and even if I don't agree with it, I still respect it. I'm not going to refund my pre-order because they don't show any new gameplay. I still believe in this game and want it to succeed. I'm just voicing my opinion.

It is entirely possible to experience bugs, glitches, and features you don't like within the first hour of gameplay. As mentioned, in X Rebirth, you experience the disorienting sliders, often empty air vents, and repetitive minigames within the first hour of gameplay. Within the first hour of No Man's Sky, I was chugging along at 15FPS, and my machine at the time was no slouch. I had pretty much experienced all the game had to offer.

Take a look at the market as well. Fallout 76 is a flaming bag, with bugs aplenty. They're also destroying the lore of the series, just because they can, and the game is 2 weeks away from release. I'd call it late Alpha, at best. Diablo Immortals is also ablaze, with Activision stock plummeting 7 points, and they're currently going through a PR nightmare. Battlefield 5 was incindiary in its own way as well, with its devs shoving in PC agendas and saying "This WAS World War 2, and if you don't like it, you're uneducated."

When I ask people if they ever tried the X series, they often say they either could not get past X3's "learning cliff," or say X Rebirth was an abysmal failure. Gaming has been going horribly this holiday season, with Red Dead Redemption 2 being the only exception so far. I think the timing is perfect for Egosoft to take center stage in time for the holiday season, and give this game and company great success and recognition. The problem is, no one really knows what to expect. Most comments I see are calling this "X Rebirth 2," in a derogatory sense. People say "Star Citizen: Gameplay Edition is looking great," or "Is this Elite: Dangerous?" Most of the posts I see on the forums are people asking genuine, non-spoiler questions, and getting either shot down or told to "just wait." Most of the posts are pure speculation on the Egosoft forums, and on Steam, it's mostly memes.

Egosoft doesn't have to release more information if they don't want to. However, the community today isn't the same as it was 10 years ago. People are more leery of games and developers, especially when they seem silent, even if that silence means they're doubling down on polishing their game. People don't take developers at their word, after hearing "Yes" and "It just works" one too many times.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 00:18

@csaba
I did the highlighting not just for fun.
The most time we saw graphics but not the actual game. Not gameplay. Not the mechanics.
That is what the X-Rebirth videos provided.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 00:21

@ZombiePotatoSalad

I'm sorry if I ever upset you it was never my intention.

I just don't agree with some of your statements. Egosoft withholding information for one. After over 3 hours of QAs, videos and screenshots it is just wrong to say so. People also pointed out those are mostly a year old, but I'd like to remind all these people that it would be actually a scam if they don't include all those things in the game. I'd also imagine that they would announce something major changed like if they'd withdraw for example the map control feature.

Experiences differ from person to person. I usually take it slow especially with sandbox games like X, if I don't like 1 part of the game I move along and do something else. I guess patience is not a virtue anymore so I accept your and LittleBirds comments on possible refunds connected to unacceptable content.

Your point on triple A titles is iffy in my eyes. Egosoft never seemed to shoot for this position. They actually tried it with XR with AAA style marketing but it backfired on them and I think they learnt from that and so we see more QAs now. They look like more of a small band of friends doing something they like than something faceless these days like Activision. (First time I heard of Immortal, Jesus, left a few dislikes on YT :evil: , I grew up on D2 even before knowing about X games existed. :cry: ) While we all whish great success for their games it doesn't look like they would suddenly just turn into a large company like Blizz did after WoW if X4 would rack in the money.

What non-regular X playing people say about the learning curve and the XRebirth failure is connected to Egosoft being a small company. They don't have several big hits behind them so people don't talk about them a lot. If you would ask someone who Egosoft is 1 out of 100 gamers might know who they are. This has the effect that they only hear some rumors and bad rumors stick like glue. You wont hear how they fixed XR, what they added, the free TO expansion to preorderers, or the performance fixes they did. Honestly the only good feedback I get from these people is usually X3TC being a decent game and that is also very rarely.

If anything they failed to point out that they already have 3 hours of material on YT when they dropped the release trailer. That's a big mistake. I actually commented under ObsidiAnt's video about X4 where he mentioned station's not being talked about a lot while there is about 30 minutes of it in one of their videos.
LittleBird wrote:@csaba
I did the highlighting not just for fun.
The most time we saw graphics but not the actual game. Not gameplay. Not the mechanics.
That is what the X-Rebirth videos provided.
I listed 2 rows of mechanics that were shown man.... I need to go to sleep but I can timetable and link each one tomorrow night if you like.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 02:25

LittleBird wrote:

I think that's an illusion.

First I've seen more new features from X4 then you're mentioning. But the thing is those are only new features. When Rebirth was about to be released they've shown many things and ALL of them were new. That's what creates illusion they've shown more.

In X4 videos you see those things too but you take them for granted. You've seen drones loading capitals, but you don't mention it because it's known. You see highways (now without minigame) but again, known so you don't mention it. Sector/zones, minimap, different cargo types, gravity well, separately shielded turrets, capital parts to destroy, "city complexes", scanning station parts, trading ship UI, ship crew ... all those things are on X4 videos as well but you overlook them now as those are not new features. And that was ALL Rebirth videos had (that plus Skunk and Yisha is all Rebirth had on release).

Truly, for people who left Rebirth after release (and still have PTSD until today) the best new feature reading are Steam guides explaining 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 features. To get into what will be in X4 in some form.

And then watch X4 videos showing new map, new station layout planning (as the rest will be the same as in late Rebirth, just go see Rebirth station building tutorials to see complete station building beyond the X4's new planning thing), ship equipment, new traveling modes/SETA, cockpit + in/out walking, capital bridges + capital control, flyable ships (you've somehow forgot about the most important X4 feature :) ), spacesuit, flight assist off mode. And more new features and changes are known from Q&A/text (not shown on videos). Those are just neat things I care :)

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 10:59

Alci wrote:
Fri, 9. Nov 18, 02:25
LittleBird wrote:

I think that's an illusion.

First I've seen more new features from X4 then you're mentioning. But the thing is those are only new features. When Rebirth was about to be released they've shown many things and ALL of them were new. That's what creates illusion they've shown more.
And I think you are partly right.
Many things you mentioned I would classify as "graphics" because the game mechanics behind them were not shown.

I wanna see how trading works, I wanna see how fabrics work.
I wanna see how the AI manages evading complex structures.
I wanna see how the reputation system works.

In short. Systems and game mechanics. Crucial parts where X-Rebirth could not deliver.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 12:04

LittleBird wrote:
Fri, 9. Nov 18, 10:59
I wanna see how trading works, I wanna see how fabrics work.
I wanna see how the AI manages evading complex structures.
I wanna see how the reputation system works.
trading was shown, from buy to sell, with Rebirth knowledge about ware types and cap-sized trading what part(s) you are missing?

Factories(?) designing was shown, building is Rebirth's (blueprint, architect, manager, etc...), production modules similar to late Rebirth's (give or take, but that's not important) and production lines based on time cycles, primary resources turned into primary products with several ways to boost cycle time/product amount. What important part is unknown?

AI won't evade complex structures they may try slightly better but they won't.

Reputation bars with different factions giving you maybe better prices and access to special wares at certain levels, like the license to build factories in their sectors without facing unwanted consequences. Rep gaining for missions, trading in faction areas, probably killing faction enemy ships.

I don't see "big parts missing" in any of those. We get the idea, it won't deviate far. Only details seems to be missing.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 10. Nov 18, 13:40

jasonbarron wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:41
DaMuncha wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 13:57
DavidGW wrote:

Eww, there are used tissues crumpled on your desk (please God stop me from thinking about how they were used!). For crying out loud, there was an empty roll of toilet paper. Muncha, you should probably police that up before you let us view the inner sanctum of your little bachelor pad :lol:
I have realy bad allergies this time of year.
Just... another... bug.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 05:03

@csaba No, it wasn't you. It was CBJ saying "here we go again," which I interpreted as making an assumption of what I was saying instead of actually reading my post.

I remember watching this back when it came out, looking forward to X Rebirth. You know, all these posts we're making about wanting to see more? This is all we want to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt4B4e3i5_0
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 10:45

ZombiePotatoSalad wrote:
Sun, 11. Nov 18, 05:03

I remember watching this back when it came out, looking forward to X Rebirth. You know, all these posts we're making about wanting to see more? This is all we want to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt4B4e3i5_0
Yea we just talked about pathing a day or two before in a different thread. This iteration in the video actually broke and was replaced with a much simpler version for a time after release where ships just flown through the station geometry. It eventually got fixed. What I'm trying to get to is that regardless if they show something it could be still broken after release as this example.

So they could show off the new squadron AI which looks awesome on paper and probably in a video like this as well but might break because of reasons the Devs didn't think about yet. For example in the above case I guess the issue was large number of capships piling up on each other breaking their path finding AI logic that is why I assume we saw large piles of traders on each other in the game when the bug came up. Although this is just a guess if this was really the issue then the problem with the video was showing/testing only one ship and not a group of them.

What I mean by this: Would something shown on a Youtube video will actually be working inside the game once released?

Staying with the squadron mechanics (which was only mentioned by a dev in forum post somewhere) as an example. Showing it off in a test environment would get a LOT of people exited, but on release any issue with it would have all these people pissed off.

Just read the comments under the video. :lol:

"it flies very deep into the geometry of the station"

Let me fix that for you Egosoft "It flies into the geometry of the station" Nice work. Not.

Same as with NMS randomly generated animals. Lovely and complex on paper, boring and stupid in reality.

This means they have to pick their video topics very carefully. Showing anything that might or could break and getting people exited on it would have serious backlash.
Even showing something that is hard to show in 1 a video, like something as complex as the production tree could have consequences. People would only see 1% of it and make bad assumptions.

This probably limits the number of videos they can put out before release and people's memories are short term when it comes to new franchises they didn't play yet. In marketing terms this means the few videos they can make must be released 2 weeks tops prior to release but likely 1.

So from now 1-2 weeks later I'd look out for new Egosoft videos on YT. Before that we won't get much aside from screenshots every few days.

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Sun, 11. Nov 18, 13:04

yes you will see actual gameplay... after the 30th ;)

Return to “X4: Foundations”