"Removed ability to map right mouse button to avoid conflicts with context menu function."

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

"Removed ability to map right mouse button to avoid conflicts with context menu function."

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:28

Will this affect other areas like moving?

I use this key for my move/run when in 1st person and it`s a key i`ve used since forever. It`s very easy and comfortable in that position.

I ask that you don`t kill my ability to use this key button when on the ground.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Anrock
x4

Re: "Removed ability to map right mouse button to avoid conflicts with context menu function."

Post by Anrock » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:36

I hope this is temporarily.
Firing ship guns with MMB and simultaneously adjusting speed in a dogfight (that's like 80% of dogfighting) is highly uncomfortable.

DeFragMe
x4

Re: "Removed ability to map right mouse button to avoid conflicts with context menu function."

Post by DeFragMe » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:40

Anrock wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:36
Firing ship guns with MMB and simultaneously adjusting speed in a dogfight (that's like 80% of dogfighting) is highly uncomfortable.
just as generall question... why not use space to fire? the thump usually has nothing to do even in combat

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:56

just make contextmenu mapable
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:58

Anrock wrote:
I guess, if I must I, can try and use one of my other Mouse keys, but right mouse button is a staple fare of moving in first person for many years for many people. We don`t all use control pads or WASD. :(

I didn`t even notice it was causing a conflict with the context function. Is this like in the map? Perhaps limit this restriction to where it ahppens but not for moving, EGOsoft?

Anyway, rest of the patch is good. The LOGO mirror issue was one I noticed.
Last edited by Socratatus on Fri, 11. Jan 19, 14:02, edited 3 times in total.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

florianlt
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by florianlt » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 14:00

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but the ability to remap RMB causes unacceptable issues for users who do this unwittingly.

We are planning to give you the option to change the mouse input profile at a later point in time.

Florian

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 14:01

florianlt wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 14:00
Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but the ability to remap RMB causes unacceptable issues for users who do this unwittingly.

We are planning to give you the option to change the mouse input profile at a later point in time.

Florian
Thankyou you very much for that consideration and taking time out to let us know.

I and I know a few others would love having the option to use the Right Mouse button as usual.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 14:16

Another reason to keep the game shelved.
Please add option to remove right click context menu.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 15:02

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:56
just make contextmenu mapable
this, most gamers will map it on a more secondary mousebutton.

Techedge
x4

Post by Techedge » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 15:14

I've used RMB to fire since Wing Commander I :mrgreen: and I really hate the RMB/context menu issue but I'm willingly to accept that instead of just using MMB to fire. I really don't understand how removing an option should be the only...option!BUT maybe it's just a core conflict that cannot be resolved by no means other than this?

However I can advice to use something like X-Mouse Button control to remap the keys, I'm using a key (G in my case) to fire guns, so I mapped RMB to act as "G": no context menu conflict and I'm keeping my RMB fire mode 8)

Edit: I just realized how silly was my idea of mapping primary fire to another key, as now I don't have ANY menu anymore… :roll:
Last edited by Techedge on Fri, 11. Jan 19, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 15:35

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 14:16
Another reason to keep the game shelved.
Please add option to remove right click context menu.
Sounds like a plan.

I didn`t even notice a problem, but I guess other peoiple must`ve been talking about it, although I never saw any complaints at all.

Love my right mouse button to move, it was bad enough not being able to use CTRL for crouch. Now we`ve lost two common 1st person move buttons.

Anrock
x4

Post by Anrock » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 15:49

DeFragMe wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 13:40
Anrock wrote:
just as generall question... why not use space to fire? the thump usually has nothing to do even in combat
I prefer space for flight mode switch, personally, as it's a muscle memory from previous X.That's why i remapped it from shift+space to space.
florianlt wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 14:00

Florian
My personal gripe would be completely solved by unbinding context menu from RMB in mouse-flight mode. It doesn't actually make sense and, i believe, inconsistent in a sense of separating "mouse controls ui" and "mouse controls flight" modes. In mouse-flight-mode context menu feels wonky anyway due to ship following mouse movement that's needed to select menu entry.

Dantelyonne

Post by Dantelyonne » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 16:53

One possible workaround for this, I use right button for firing weapons and the inability to remap context menu was making combat impossible.

I installed a mouse remapping program and switched right button with button 4, then mapped button 4 to be the fire button in X4 controls. This allows me to use right button just for firing weapons and have a different command for context menu.

There are a few mouse remapping programs out there, but here is the one I am using (has multiple profiles, so you can quickly switch between X4 mode and regular mouse function):
https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmo ... ontrol.htm

Return to “X4: Foundations”