Strange cultural differences people don't think about.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Re: Strange cultural differences people don't think about.

Post by Usenko » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 10:45

I don't know if this is the intention, but to me the red neck scarf on the boys' uniform screams "Yes! I am indeed a communist!"
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 11:24

In the UK, a vodka and coke is a regular drink in bars and nightclubs up and down the country. Apparently in the US its a bizarre concoction that most people would never consider trying.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 15:46

BBQ Sauce.

BBQ sauce is one of two standard condiments you find in every low to midscale restaurant in Australia. It's mandatory in McDonalds or the local pub, but also in any place where you get a decent steak or schnitzel (more about that in a moment).

I was stunned to discover this doesn't exist in any other place I've been to. Not the UK, not New Zealand, not Turkey, not France.

Oh, a condiment called "BBQ sauce" exists, but it's a different thing (usually a marinade or baste sort of thing, or in the UK a variation of HP sauce). It's not the natural partner to Tomato sauce that is universal in Australia.

Oh, speaking of steaks and schnitzel . . . if you order a schnitzel in Australia, without any qualifier, it will be a big slab of crumbed chicken breast. Not veal. Chicken. If you want veal, you need to specify a "Veal schnitzel," and if you do that anywhere except a German theme restaurant, you're likely to get a waiter with a blank face for a moment saying "I'll check if we've got that."
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 19:26

Usenko wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 10:45
I don't know if this is the intention, but to me the red neck scarf on the boys' uniform screams "Yes! I am indeed a communist!"

It is. Google "Cuban school Uniform" or "Chinese School uniform" or "North Korean School Uniform" or "Vietnamese school Uniform" and you'll see they all have that red caft. In fact it goes back to the Soviet school uniform

The ribbon/necktie on the Japanese/South Korean uniform signify the grade they are in. The Vietnamese uniform achieves this by a color-coded ID sew onto the shirt.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Return to “Off Topic English”