Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 13. Jan 19, 21:13

It's using largely the same engine as the previous couple of games (with that annoying feature where road vehicles sound like they're constantly revving up and changing gear even if moving at a constant speed), but I think it's a bit more polished and the place it's set in is far more interesting than FC4 was. However, If Jacob kidnaps me *one* more time and forces me to run through that "kill everyone in this maze before time runs out" thing then I'm uninstalling the game, god-darn-it!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 17. Jan 19, 11:38

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 13. Jan 19, 21:13
... However, If Jacob kidnaps me *one* more time and forces me to run through that "kill everyone in this maze before time runs out" thing then I'm uninstalling the game, god-darn-it!
I picked up a Skyrim+Fallout bundle on XBox over the holidays. I didn't have either on XBox, so figured I'd get both and all the DLC for a deal. Anyway, I thought about starting a run-through of Skyrim on XBox and then... Then, I remembered how long is was going to take me just to get past all the starting crap that I'd have to absolutely get through. (All the way up through "Dragonborn" shouts.) No thanks.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 19:39

I uninstalled Far Cry 5. 14 hours in, 66% complete, and I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I got bored of Far Cry 4 before it ended, too, and I think for the same reason--namely, I just don't care about the person I'm playing as. In FC4 you at least had a name and a semblance of an objective, but in FC5 you don't even have that; you're referred to as "Rook" (e.g. rookie) by everyone, and I just don't care enough about the loony cult that I'm supposed to be fighting.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 10:08

- ha, ha..
I agree entirely..
- it's a completely stupid plotline..
- but hey, it's a game
- like snakes and ladders.. just a sequence of events
- generally speaking, the FarCry series' plotlines have always been as nutty as a fruitcake..

- However, there's an interesting article on the subject here:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... eam+RSS%29

- the FarCry5 plotline really is totally off the wall..
- any semblance of reality is totally unintended..
- but at £19.99 in the sale, it's a gift - I certainly wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't been so cheep.. :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 19:15

Guys this thread is supposed to be about free or cheap games, not how good or bad FarCry 5 is.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 12:55

Far Cry V on sale for 15 euro from ubi, got it, first 10 minutes is some of the worst gameplay I have experienced since COD, you are glued on rails and forced down a path on which you die over and over until with some luck you are let out of the misery of a forced scenario.

Uninstalled, worst buy I have made in ages, terrible game, Just cause 2 rip off but just no were near as good, I mean I know FC died years ago but this stinks.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Wed, 6. Feb 19, 20:55

well i got Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition in the last steam sale i used to play it many years ago on my sega mega cd and its still funn https://store.steampowered.com/app/6436 ... y_Edition/
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 7. Feb 19, 22:14

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Wed, 6. Feb 19, 20:55
well i got Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition in the last steam sale i used to play it many years ago on my sega mega cd and its still funn https://store.steampowered.com/app/6436 ... y_Edition/
O_M_G_....

BIG HAIR GIRLS! :)

I never played that, but some bits of FMV gaming are pretty darn cool. Some FMV games made pretty big strides, too. This one looks like a particularly bad "B Movie" which, i assume, is its intent. No gratuitous nudity, though... :/ I guess SEGA was only willing to let someone go "just so far." :)

I swear I knew all those girls back in high-chool and college. :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 08:44

Isn't Night Trap famously terrible?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 8. Feb 19, 21:18

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 8. Feb 19, 08:44
Isn't Night Trap famously terrible?
I don't think the "game" itself is terrible or horribly broken, but it certainly has a limited appeal. It's definitely "niche," but fans of FMV games were probably very happy with it. In that respect, it would have "good gameplay" for genre fans.

Somewhat On Topic: You can get free "Lunar Sale" tokens on Steam that you can use to get some emoticons and backgrounds for your Profile, if that's your thing. I think those two things are nontradeable permanent account additions or something like that. So, yeah, it's basically "free stuff." Just not a game. :( I have 4500 tokens... I don't know if that's meaningful or not. No, I don't know why I'd want them, but someone might want theirs. :) )

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 6. Mar 19, 03:20

X4 Foundations is currently on sale on Steam. 25% off in my region.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 14. Mar 19, 20:50

GRID 2 +two DLC is free for a time from Humble if you subscribe to their email newsletter. Steam key redeption, keep forever.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/grid2-spa-bathurst
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 22. Mar 19, 03:18

It looks like spring sales are starting/going on at gog and steam.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 23:34

It looks like Morrowind might be free today

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/tes25

It might be a bit of a chore getting it

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comm ... _only_100/

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 02:22

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 23:34
It looks like Morrowind might be free today...
A darn awesome game. A bit dated, but full of stuff. (Especially if you like traveling.) And, its construction set was pretty decent, too. I remember building a "cave base" with it.

Worth the effort for anyone who hasn't played it and likes single-player FPS/Third with ARPG elements. (aka - Skyrim) Best thing - Those big walking gasbag zeppelin thingies. Great concept. I don't remember if they actually flew/walked anywhere, though, in vanilla.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 00:13

I think, you mean the Netch. Yes, they floated and could be pretty beasty if attacked. Morrowind is in my opinion the best part of thE TES series so far. More RPG than FPS - since arrows neatly shot at an opponents head would miss if your skill is too low. Only drawback/flaw of that game is it's rather old grafics (mods can improve that very much) and Cliffracers (those can be modded too).
Epic story, tons of side quests and the occasional easter egg. I very much recommend it.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 21:06

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 00:13
... Only drawback/flaw of that game is it's rather old grafics (mods can improve that very much) and Cliffracers (those can be modded too).
Epic story, tons of side quests and the occasional easter egg. I very much recommend it.
Loved the game. And, yeah, there are some mods out there that really perk up Morrowind's graphics.

Maybe a tad bit overdone and could use some work in some areas, but this is very nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeTS7xt1WRA

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 21:20

Isn't this the game with a lot of Youtube videos about how bad it was in reality?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Mar 19, 21:58

Tamina wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 21:20
Isn't this the game with a lot of Youtube videos about how bad it was in reality?
You are correct. :)

But, I don't agree that it was a bad game. And, now it's offered up for free for a limited time thanks to it's 25'th (?) anniversary celebration. There's vids on Oblivion and Skyrim and how "bad" they were, too.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 28. Mar 19, 01:30

Yeah but Oblivion and Skyrim both benefited hugely from several changes made from Morrowind.

The first is the quest marker. I know purists call this "easy mode" but without it Morrowind suffered from the
"Where the Heck am I supposed to now go to complete this quest" problem.

Morrowind didn't have the latter games's levelling system and it sorely needed it. It was made worse by way
combat and spells were implemented. This whole failure to hit mechanic was an exercise in pain, especially in the early
game. When you only seemed to have a 1% chance to actually hit anything and just about everything you encountered
travelling was deadly to the new player it wasn't all that much fun.

Return to “Off Topic English”