[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 4.x

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Derp

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO)

Post by Derp » Sat, 4. May 19, 01:18

Trying to test out weapons more methodically raised a bigger problem: some of the weapon effects are freezing my game. The "plasma incinerator" (M Plasma II) reliably reproduced the problem whenever it hit anything within hit-effect rendering distance. Tagging a P at the limit of its range was okay, but as soon as I got close enough to see the projectile hit, it'd freeze and thrash the cpu. Stuck in an infinite loop maybe?

Running Steam version on Linux with a decent Nvidia card, if there's any kind of diagnostic I can spit out to help track the problem.

[ETA] Playing with graphics settings seems to have fixed the problem. FXAA -> MSAA

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sat, 4. May 19, 09:35

Derp wrote:
Sat, 4. May 19, 01:18
Trying to test out weapons more methodically raised a bigger problem: some of the weapon effects are freezing my game. The "plasma incinerator" (M Plasma II) reliably reproduced the problem whenever it hit anything within hit-effect rendering distance. Tagging a P at the limit of its range was okay, but as soon as I got close enough to see the projectile hit, it'd freeze and thrash the cpu. Stuck in an infinite loop maybe?

Running Steam version on Linux with a decent Nvidia card, if there's any kind of diagnostic I can spit out to help track the problem.

[ETA] Playing with graphics settings seems to have fixed the problem. FXAA -> MSAA
That is really weird, it's totally fine on my end, seems to be something specific to Linux build maybe.

Derp

Post by Derp » Sat, 4. May 19, 14:21

Yeah, it's still happening, just not as often. Definitely the weapon hit effect that's causing the freezes.
https://imgur.com/a/hVrUsbS

Here's a shot of a P getting hit on the left hand side of the screen:
https://imgur.com/a/AwcjoPu

Is there some way of disabling just the plasma incinerator effect? I can avoid them myself, but I can't tell the Argon militia to stop using them.

[ETA] Setting effect distance to 0 will remove the graphical effect, but not the freeze:
https://imgur.com/a/gVyrv79

So.... damifino. Guess I'll just have to avoid IS combat until 2.5 hits, maybe that'll help stability.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sun, 5. May 19, 00:44

Derp wrote:
Sat, 4. May 19, 14:21
Yeah, it's still happening, just not as often. Definitely the weapon hit effect that's causing the freezes.

Is there some way of disabling just the plasma incinerator effect? I can avoid them myself, but I can't tell the Argon militia to stop using them.

[ETA] Setting effect distance to 0 will remove the graphical effect, but not the freeze:

So.... damifino. Guess I'll just have to avoid IS combat until 2.5 hits, maybe that'll help stability.
Does it happen to incinerator only? If yes, than it is very weird, because its impact effect is shared among ALL small and medium plasma weapons, its just the same entry in effects library.
Can you try other plasma weapons?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 7. May 19, 20:53

Hey Shuulo, is it possible to make destroyer man guns a bit more like a railguns from the Expanse? I mean charge up effect and bullet trail.

https://youtu.be/qLPhr8tiCp0?t=48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIFSZfKTUKA

MAC cannon from Halo reach also is very good reference:
https://youtu.be/uQotXEcsDEU?t=1644

Derp

Post by Derp » Thu, 9. May 19, 19:38

Shuulo wrote:
Sun, 5. May 19, 00:44
Derp wrote:
Sat, 4. May 19, 14:21

Does it happen to incinerator only? If yes, than it is very weird, because its impact effect is shared among ALL small and medium plasma weapons, its just the same entry in effects library.
Can you try other plasma weapons?
Just the incinerator. Something about the cluster of hits maybe? I don't know. I found your github, and I think I'll just remove the weapon from AI fleets and not worry about it if it's all the same to you. Incidentally your Apr 27 commit breaks the consumables menu.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Fri, 10. May 19, 01:42

Derp wrote:
Thu, 9. May 19, 19:38

Just the incinerator. Something about the cluster of hits maybe? I don't know. I found your github, and I think I'll just remove the weapon from AI fleets and not worry about it if it's all the same to you. Incidentally your Apr 27 commit breaks the consumables menu.
Because, obliviously, my github is WIP and contains not released version.

o-papaya-o
x4

Post by o-papaya-o » Sun, 12. May 19, 20:47

Hi, I translated your mod into French, if you want the translation, tell me.
C’est en voyant un moustique se poser sur ses coui**** que l’on s’aperçoit qu’on ne peut pas régler tous les problèmes par la violence.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 13. May 19, 12:18

o-papaya-o wrote:
Sun, 12. May 19, 20:47
Hi, I translated your mod into French, if you want the translation, tell me.
Wow, would be nice to have it :)
Did you join x4 discord? We can get in contact there.

o-papaya-o
x4

Post by o-papaya-o » Tue, 14. May 19, 17:38

I can not find the X4 server on discord
C’est en voyant un moustique se poser sur ses coui**** que l’on s’aperçoit qu’on ne peut pas régler tous les problèmes par la violence.

o-papaya-o
x4

Post by o-papaya-o » Tue, 14. May 19, 19:18

ok, i'm on discord x4 modding. pseudo PaPaYa

scav_n_ger
x3ap

Post by scav_n_ger » Wed, 15. May 19, 18:48

Would you consider making a windows 7 (documents/extensions) compatible version?

turosp
x4

Post by turosp » Thu, 16. May 19, 09:59

This mod sounds very promising, any chance it would work with 2.50 beta4 ?

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Thu, 16. May 19, 13:31

turosp wrote:
Thu, 16. May 19, 09:59
This mod sounds very promising, any chance it would work with 2.50 beta4 ?
No, im holding till we get full 2.5 release as they may change few things in later betas. And I do not really want to fix bugs that are beta-related.
Also, if I release now it may not work with 2.21, and that is what most people play.

turosp
x4

Post by turosp » Thu, 16. May 19, 13:41

Shuulo wrote:
Thu, 16. May 19, 13:31
turosp wrote:
Thu, 16. May 19, 09:59
No, im holding till we get full 2.5 release as they may change few things in later betas. And I do not really want to fix bugs that are beta-related.
Also, if I release now it may not work with 2.21, and that is what most people play.
Yea, good point! I wanted to start a new game anyway, I'll do it with your mod then :)

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 29. May 19, 00:09

Version 1.6

NEW: FLAK L turret, low-damage, high-high preciesion turret (may change if ill find a way to detonate projectile near tartget
NEW: Cruise missile L turret - slow powerful missile for anti-cap job, useful on defence platforms, and AI actually uses them for that as well

Major changes:
- Battleships were ranamed to not conflict with ressuply ships
- balance pass, every single weapon was updated, most smaller weapons did get a sloight buff, some M weapons as well
- L turrets thresholds/prices updated to make the usage of them by AI more varied

Minor:
- all weapon descriptions were updated to include real weapons parameters, like Shields DPS, Hull DPS and ALPHA(1-shot power). Remember, weapon usefulness comes not only from DPS, but behaviour is very important as well, adn damage characteristic may be a bit misleading.
- updated even more graphics and sounds of some weapons.
- fixed some bugs here and there.

Translation:
-Added French translation thanks to PaPaYa!!!

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Wed, 29. May 19, 07:12

Looks like NexusMods still reference your mod with version 1.5 instead of 1.6 (eventhough you updated it yesterday)

FYI

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 29. May 19, 09:01

qwizzie wrote:
Wed, 29. May 19, 07:12
Looks like NexusMods still reference your mod with version 1.5 instead of 1.6 (eventhough you updated it yesterday)
FYI
Thanks, updated and new version with bug fix uploeaded

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 29. May 19, 14:04

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for this mod, most impressive work!

Secondly, I have a game in progress, started in v2.21 IIRC, that's vanilla apart from a mod that increases ship trade ranges sightly more than vanilla - I added it after the mega nerf which totally broke the economy in my game. Is it better to start afresh do you think? I mean, am I asking for problems modding an older game that was started in a different game version?

I am sorta leaning towards a fresh start with VRO and the FWEE mod, that's just been updated for 2.5 too. Gonna miss my ships and cash reserves though lol.

Edit: Apologies, I just saw read your comment about save compatibility, so I'll restart :)

Scoob.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 29. May 19, 14:53

Scoob wrote:
Wed, 29. May 19, 14:04
Hi,

Firstly, thanks for this mod, most impressive work!

Secondly, I have a game in progress, started in v2.21 IIRC, that's vanilla apart from a mod that increases ship trade ranges sightly more than vanilla - I added it after the mega nerf which totally broke the economy in my game. Is it better to start afresh do you think? I mean, am I asking for problems modding an older game that was started in a different game version?

I am sorta leaning towards a fresh start with VRO and the FWEE mod, that's just been updated for 2.5 too. Gonna miss my ships and cash reserves though lol.

Edit: Apologies, I just saw read your comment about save compatibility, so I'll restart :)

Scoob.
Some people reported that it's totally fine for old saves, I just never tested it myself.
Though I would really suggest to start new game with Faction Fix mod as well, it makes all the difference.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”