What simple thing can you do to lessen your impact on the environment?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

Re: What simple thing can you do to lessen your impact on the environment?

Post by Observe » Fri, 16. Aug 19, 20:12

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 16. Aug 19, 17:01
I consider myself an environment conscious person, but last year I still bought a new gasoline car with a high mpg, why? Because I feel electric car is a typical example of putting the cart before the horse. Given the fact that the majority of the energy grid still source from fossil fuel...
I think the idea is to transition away from fossil fuels. Cars are only one part of the equation as you rightly point out. Over time, we need to transition away from fossil fuel power plants. How exactly we do that, is still a work-in-progress. Nevertheless, do it we must.

We already have a number of countries that are proposing to ban the sale of gasoline and diesel vehicles. Norway, Germany, France, China and others. Costa Rica is proposing a ban in 2011. They generate 99% of their electricity from renewable sources and they hope to become the first country to fully decarbonize.

Ultimately, we need to stop driving anywhere as much as possible. Our large population centers (cities) probably should ban personal vehicles altogether. Air travel should also be illegal under most circumstances. Buying a product from Amazon and having it delivered in one or two days should include carbon taxes to cover the environmental impact of such expediency.

So yeah, in many ways, electric cars are just sticking a new label on an old problem and kicking the can down the street for someone else to throw in the trash.

Still, buying a gasoline car because electric isn't a perfect solution, is kind of like saying let's not outlaw guns, because outlaws will still be able to get them. We know we are in dire straits, but let's ignore solutions until we find the perfect one. There is no "perfect" solution to the climate change problem, short of putting a dam on our excessive consumption.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 02:07

Observe wrote:
Fri, 16. Aug 19, 20:12
Ultimately, we need to stop driving anywhere as much as possible. Our large population centers (cities) probably should ban personal vehicles altogether. Air travel should also be illegal under most circumstances. Buying a product from Amazon and having it delivered in one or two days should include carbon taxes to cover the environmental impact of such expediency.
Here is the thing, do you know that most people live in Downtown already don't drive? I mean ... why would they?
- Super expensive parking fee.
- Work and shopping are usually within walking/distance.
- Most place in old downtowns are single or double lane traffics.

So ... where do you think all the cars come from? It's mainly from people who had to commute from the suburb to the city to work. You can see clear evidence of this in the winter in place like Denver. On heavy Snowdays that you would expect slow and congestion, the metro area is usually "empty", you're like ... having the whole boulevard to yourself in the morning. It's not because people staying at home, it's because all in the inbound traffic got stuck on the highways leading into the city, which made up the majority of the rush hour commune. Then after those traffic trickle in during the day, in the evening it's the Metro traffic that takes turn becoming a shit show because people try to leave the city. Trust me, people in the city limit don't drive, or drive very little. In fact, try to look up research on this, there are several out there that break down the #of mile drive by population, age group ...etc... the Metro people are at the bottom in term of average mileage per year.

Advocating for people to not drive or drive less is one thing, but that's merely empty drivel if you don't provide them with meaningful alternative. Will you pay the bill for a family who have already spent 2h commune to get to work even if they drive, otherwise I don't see how they can keep their job. I personally know someone who take a 4h commune EVERYDAY to go to college via public transportation, God bless his heart for what he does, but the only reason he can do it because he's an old man, retired, and only do 2 classes per semester for fun.

I know people tend to make fun about "America loves their car" joke, but there is one thing they tend to forget is just how freaking big this country is. You should take a look at the map of our population distribution, and you will realize not even when we have something as good as the Japanese has, it will not become a completely substitute for cars. And heck, I think even our best system is still about 20 years behind what the Japanese currently has.
Buying a product from Amazon and having it delivered in one or two days should include carbon taxes to cover the environmental impact of such expediency.
How is that any different than me going to the supermarket in my own car? Why single out Amazon? In fact, isn't in this case it's actually better to shop from a place like Amazon? I mean ... it's like taking the bus to work instead of driving your own car. Have one truck deliver items to 100 houses a day is better than having 100 cars driving to the shop seperately surely? Adding the fact that the delivery truck will most likely be operated base on the most efficient route, while the 100 cars will not since they will at least waste half of the distance on the round trip. I don't think you really thought this example through.
So yeah, in many ways, electric cars are just sticking a new label on an old problem and kicking the can down the street for someone else to throw in the trash.
Do you remember the sequestration a few years ago and why we do it? I'm not talking about logic here, I'm talking about "mentality", and sadly mentality a lot of time doesn't follow logic. Sometime we take up extreme action and even have to refuse small corrective measure for the sake of something actually matter to happen. You can give a man a fish every day, or you can teach him how to fish, and a lot of time even after that, you might have let him have a taste of starvation to work up that motivation of fishing for himself.
Still, buying a gasoline car because electric isn't a perfect solution,
I don't see electric car in this environment a non-perfect solution, I see it as a "pointless" solution. It have large upfront cost while does not result in a net positive for the environment. It's like a farmer try to save water by cutting down his shower time from 5m to 3m, while continue wasting thousand of gallons on poor farming practice.
is kind of like saying let's not outlaw guns, because outlaws will still be able to get them. We know we are in dire straits, but let's ignore solutions until we find the perfect one. There is no "perfect" solution to the climate change problem, short of putting a dam on our excessive consumption.
Nope, I don't see it like that at all. The difference between our views you are trying to sell it as a "somewhat a solution", while I don't see it that way. The way I see this is more like you're trying to tell people to help putting a fire with a bottle of water because "hey it's something". The day I see our grid draw less than 30% from fossil fuel, I'll consider an electric car. But right now like I said, I'm pretty sure my gasoline car does less damage to the environment than the supposed "clean energy run car" but technically run on coal.
Last edited by Mightysword on Sat, 17. Aug 19, 02:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 02:17

Mightysword wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 02:07
The day I see our grid draw less than 30% from fossil fuel, I'll consider an electric car. But right now like I said, I'm pretty sure my gasoline car does less damage to the environment than the supposed "clean energy run car" but technically run on coal.
And there, in a nutshell, we have it :(.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 05:19

Mightysword wrote:
Because I feel electric car is a typical example of putting the cart before the horse. Given the fact that the majority of the energy grid still source from fossil fuel, and ~1/3 (used to be 1/2) are from coal, a highly efficient gasoline car is probably less of a drain on the environment then an inefficient electric car drawing from a coal-fired power plant.
Sorry, but that's absolute cobblers. For a start, if you look at the breakdown of how the US generates its electricity, coal accounts for only just over a quarter (source: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3). You actually generate more than a third from nuclear and renewables. Secondly, power stations can be run at the point where they are most efficient at turning heat energy into useful work quite easily, whereas internal combustion engines usually have a fairly narrow rev range at which they're most efficient and it's practically impossible to keep them running in that sweet spot at all times, so overall efficiency of the ICE in a car will be lower. Thirdly, power stations being large stationary structures means it's possible to build a lot of scrubbing technology into them in order to clean up the exhaust that simply isn't possible on a small, mobile thing like a car.

As for the efficiency of electric cars, they're pretty darned good. A typical electric motor will turn more than 80% of the input power into useful work.

So, overall: even if you could somehow ensure that all the electricity you put into your electric car comes from coal-fired power stations, which is obviously an absurdity given the way the electricity grid works, you would still be emitting less CO2 per mile travelled under all but the most ridiculously favourable conditions (e.g. you're driving your car on a long journey where you never need to change speed and can run the engine at its efficiency sweet spot constantly). In the real world, where a significant portion of the 'leccy you're putting in your car comes from non-fossil fuel sources, the situation is even better for the electric car.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 06:10

Mightysword wrote:

Like I said the problem is with modern culture and mentality, just like in other threads I often said people make up a target and slab a label on it, believe that it is the source of their problem and pour their anger and frustration on that target, believing all their problems will disappear upon that target removal. And while that maybe somewhat true (to a small degree), that allows them to blind to the fact that a much larger problem is themselves.

Here is another example:
I think that sentiment is more relevant than anything else to a whole range of issues. We have a mentality here where something bad either happens or is predicted to happen. People cry out "We have to do something!" Here comes our political class with a plan. It may address the problem or it may just make people feel better and not deal with the problem at all but it is still a plan. Everyone who cried out then jumps to "We have to do this plan!". There isn't a whole lot of examination of who stands to personally profit in terms of money or political power from the plan. We just want some action to be done even if it is futile.

That's where we are. I think the climate doomsayers didn't get this much attention in decades past because the technology that lets us share information has become so much more instantaneous. 20 years ago most of us knew what Y2k was but it wasn't blasted in our faces 24/7 and hyped to such an extent that we had to face our own mortality every time we pulled up an internet browser. Maybe we were just less susceptible to hysteria back then as well. We just carried on as usual and it passed. There is a design behind getting people to panic to do stuff they would never consider otherwise.

It makes me sad. I need to step out to the garage and whisper some encouraging words to my mustang. I patched her freon leak, vacuum leak(s), oil leak, and got everything but the antilock brakes running because I'll be damned if I get another brake module again those stupid things only last a couple years and no one needs it anyway. She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Runs like a raped ape when you hit the gas. Made a lot of special modifications myself. I think I'm doing right by keeping her running and not consuming the resources it would take to get a whole new vehicle.
Who made that man a gunner?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 06:45

Slightly disappointed, I hoped Masterbagger would brag about more inventive ways to pollute to the maximum.

Anyways, where are we at with the topic?

Besides voting for the right people, I just do what my city offers. I recycle in three batches : compost, recycle and trash. Our trash bag is relatively small in comparison.
My car isnt electric, but it's not a bad polluter. No more Mustang unfortunately.
I bike all the time to work instead of driving. Which is more of a personal choice rather than environmental, but it works.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 07:26

pjknibbs wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 05:19
Sorry, but that's absolute cobblers. For a start, if you look at the breakdown of how the US generates its electricity, coal accounts for only just over a quarter (source: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3). You actually generate more than a third from nuclear and renewables.
Yes, I'm aware of that chart, it's the very same one I used to based my number on. I think I was pretty accurate since I was writing the value in fractional, or are you really call it's cobblers based on a few percentage points? Also please note that the number of coal is only this low because Obama basically spent 8 years trying to force choke it. We have no idea now that Trump released the hold, where it gonna be in a few years again is anyone guess.

Also look at this:
https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=CO#tabs-4

From the same website, you can look at where the power from my state (Colorado) come from. Just to quote the specific message if the graph wasn't clear enough: Over half of Colorado's electricity comes from coal-fired power plants,. And just to note, this not because we're a bunch of reckless environmental denial, Colorado is a Blue leaning state and we had make big gain in term of renewable energy. In fact, I'm fairly sure we have some of the most stringent air quality laws in the US. But that chart is "reality".

Also another reality check here, don't let that number about Green energy gain make you feel too good. Although it's certainly a reason for me to be proud of, quite a few of that contributed through "stat padding". When the 30% law went to effect, utility companies didn't know how to comply with it. So they come up with the idea of throwing out rebate/supplement to residents to install solar panel on our rooftop just so they can meet the state regulation, in another word: a few of that percentage point wasn't really infrastructure.
Secondly, power stations can be run at the point where they are most efficient at turning heat energy into useful work quite easily, whereas internal combustion engines usually have a fairly narrow rev range at which they're most efficient and it's practically impossible to keep them running in that sweet spot at all times, so overall efficiency of the ICE in a car will be lower.

Thirdly, power stations being large stationary structures means it's possible to build a lot of scrubbing technology into them in order to clean up the exhaust that simply isn't possible on a small, mobile thing like a car.
Your second point depends on a lot of variables: such as how old is the power plants, what type of coal it is burning, and what is the efficiency of the cars in question. To give you an idea, here is the list of the current coal fired plants in Colorado: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... n_Colorado

Notice how old those Coal plants are? Also notice despite contributing half of the state power, they represent the smallest head count?

Now let's talk about car efficiency. I don't know much about the European market aside from Dieselgate, but in the US the term "fuel efficient cars" translated into "stay away from American car and get an Asian made". Now most people even outside of the US probably know about how Detroit went belly up during the last recession, but most also general contribute it to simply the economy down turn, the real reason is deeper than that. For years American company only chased after big but fuel efficiency car while pretty much ignore investment into the fuel economy market, the Asian manufacture pretty much dominated this section. When the recession happened, people tied their budget including the fuel budget so naturally they looked at other option, the American companies tried to switch their model only to realize they were about a couple "decades" behind in term of making a fuel efficient car. Naturally, they couldn't compete and collapsed while companies like Honda, Toyota, Kia, Nissan thrived. I don't know what kind of presence they have in the European market, I would suggest not to underestimate the gasoline efficient car in the US, especially when they also comply with a stricter standard here. When European spent the last few decade jerking off to Diesel and the American embracing power, Asian had been invested all that time in creating fuel efficiency cars. When I moved from a Chevrolet sedan to a Hyundai SUV, I end up using far less fuel.

Your third point is more like ... wishful thinking. Sure, if we're talking about SOA coal power plants running on 'clean' coal in relative to bad car. But if you want to extrapolation the point, then here is a case study for you: going back to the Colorado chart, it wasn't that bad (50% on coal) until recently. You know what made it like that now? Demand

After becoming the first state legalized pot, we received explosive population growth, so much that in one year we actually topped the US in term of how fast we grow (overtook Chicago). And guess who made the come back to meet that demand? Coal! My argument wasn't simply my own opinion, you can search for several researches for the cleanness of electric car when taking the macro elements of the economy into account. I'll give you the summary in the below quote, but look it up if you want the detail:
Assuming you get your wish, and everyone switch to hybrid/electric car, then what? The demand for energy will skyrocket, and where will the extra energy will come from to meet such demand?
Simply put, it won't come from Clean energy, not even nuclear power can possible meet it, and there is only one possible answer: fossil fuel. Which means it will just be a zero sum game. As always, it helps not to look at a problem in a limited view. I stand by what I say, no matter you think it "absolute cobblers" or not. Although being an American, I don't know much about that term. :P

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 08:54

fiksal wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 06:45
Slightly disappointed, I hoped Masterbagger would brag about more inventive ways to pollute to the maximum.

Anyways, where are we at with the topic?

Besides voting for the right people, I just do what my city offers. I recycle in three batches : compost, recycle and trash. Our trash bag is relatively small in comparison.
My car isnt electric, but it's not a bad polluter. No more Mustang unfortunately.
I bike all the time to work instead of driving. Which is more of a personal choice rather than environmental, but it works.

You reinforce my point by taking that bait. You just made me the object you can point at and condemn to feel righteous and you projected shit on me that isn't true in any form while you did it. That is a state that applies to all of our politicized issues. You crave an enemy. People in America desperately need an enemy to attack. I'm the closest guy you can point at that doesn't act like you so it's me. I'm not even bad here. I'm just average. Whatever, come at me.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 11:20

With regards to cars, I would like to point out that "shifting the problem around" might in itself be desirable, even if it doesn't (currently) deal with environmental issues. Electrical cars will make sure that cities won't suffer from smog and smog-related issues at all. This has increasingly been a problem. On top of that, it comes with the bonus of having the potential to concentrate the pollution problem and thus simplify the solution - it's much "simpler" to deal with only having to supply power from stationary sources than from mobile and stationary sources.

Also, I realize not everyone can opt not to have a car, especially in countries like the US, but surely using a more economical one that a fuel-guzzling old model is a net benefit to the environment. If you're holding on to an old car, be honest, at least part of the reason you haven't changed to a more modern, more efficient model is sentimental value.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 13:25

pretty sure people like Jay Leno would get all sentimental about it.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 15:02

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 08:54
You reinforce my point by taking that bait. You just made me the object you can point at and condemn to feel righteous and you projected shit on me that isn't true in any form while you did it. That is a state that applies to all of our politicized issues. You crave an enemy. People in America desperately need an enemy to attack. I'm the closest guy you can point at that doesn't act like you so it's me. I'm not even bad here. I'm just average. Whatever, come at me.
This isn't a Batman movie, I don't need you, I am not that sort of Batman.

And condemn I will, - you think global warming is a conspiracy.

Let's stay on topic of lessening the impact on environment. What you got?

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 16:25

I think most will agree that global warming is happening and the effects will be devastating for many. The cause/s of global warming can be debated, but it is clear that human use of fossil fuels is at least a contributor.

If a person spends more money than they have, the obvious corrective action is to spend less until the budget is balanced. We learn this at an early age. It is simple mathematics.

Trouble is, due to the onslaught of climate change, our fossil fuel budget is zero. This means we must completely stop using coal for the production of electricity and we must reduce our electricity demand to the level produced by sustainable energy sources.

We can debate the merits of this car of that car, or how much air travel contributes to the problem, or whether everyone must stop eating meat etc., but the simply fact is we need to pull the plug immediately. Not slow down, but stop.

If we can get to the point of being stewards of our planet, instead of rapists of it, we can think about re-introducing cars and other forms of luxury transportation; based on whatever technology may exist in that future time.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 21:14

Olterin wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 11:20
With regards to cars, I would like to point out that "shifting the problem around" might in itself be desirable, even if it doesn't (currently) deal with environmental issues. Electrical cars will make sure that cities won't suffer from smog and smog-related issues at all. This has increasingly been a problem. On top of that, it comes with the bonus of having the potential to concentrate the pollution problem and thus simplify the solution - it's much "simpler" to deal with only having to supply power from stationary sources than from mobile and stationary sources.

Also, I realize not everyone can opt not to have a car, especially in countries like the US, but surely using a more economical one that a fuel-guzzling old model is a net benefit to the environment. If you're holding on to an old car, be honest, at least part of the reason you haven't changed to a more modern, more efficient model is sentimental value.
No car payments. Everything in life revolves around money. That is something I wish the climate discussion took more recognition of. Saying we should all go to electric cars is one thing. Doing it is well out of reach. There aren't enough for everyone and most people can't afford to just go out and get one on a whim. I'm not even sold on the idea. We can't provide power to all those electric cars without burning fossil fuels to do it. A huge chunk of the energy in that fuel is also lost between the point where it is burnt and when it arrives at your power outlet. I don't know if that is really better than just directly converting gas into work.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 22:23

Observe wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 16:25
I think most will agree that global warming is happening and the effects will be devastating for many. The cause/s of global warming can be debated, but it is clear that human use of fossil fuels is at least a contributor.
Most - yes. But dont know how it's in other countries, the official word in USA right *now* is that neither climate change nor rising temperatures are real.
Observe wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 16:25
Trouble is, due to the onslaught of climate change, our fossil fuel budget is zero. This means we must completely stop using coal for the production of electricity and we must reduce our electricity demand to the level produced by sustainable energy sources.

We can debate the merits of this car of that car, or how much air travel contributes to the problem, or whether everyone must stop eating meat etc., but the simply fact is we need to pull the plug immediately. Not slow down, but stop.
That is appears to be the talk. So looks like the current debate is - how to mitigate the climate change, and how to adjust to it.

We knew it was going on in 2000 but then, at least in US, most politicians referred to it as a hoax, and that a global temperature had not and will not change. Even then I recall it might have been too late to completely reverse it, but not too late to prevent worst case scenario.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 23:30

fiksal wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 22:23
Most - yes. But dont know how it's in other countries, the official word in USA right *now* is that neither climate change nor rising temperatures are real.
And for good or bad - in a true Federal system like the US - the official word can change very often - and usually doesn't mean a damn. The states can very often mitigate the majority of damage steaming from Federal level, it also works in the other manner though. Case in point: Trump has been in office for 3 years, and while he had reversed several thing policy wise, it haven't really change the trajectory of the nation as a whole when it comes to environment issues. So the "official stance" is just a stick to beat on a guy people hate.
Olterin wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 11:20
I used public transportation for a good number of years in my life, and you know ... they were all jam-packed, in the morning and evening you can see bus after bus after bus arriving at station like every 5 minutes. We also have regional light rail system that see heavy usage. Our public transportation department constantly need more people, and by that I don't mean due to lack of funding, they need people. I don't think there have ever been a break in the last 5 years that they slowed down the recruitment afford. Hell couple years ago they start throwing in $2000 sign in bonus for driver and mechanics. Good benefit, and all the overtime you want. I know a driver worked for 20 years, and actually bought 2 houses and a piece of land with the money he earnt from driving the bus.

And from what I understand, this is the state of pretty much all the public transportation in major metro area in the US. So whenever I heard people say something like "we must encourage people to use public transportation!" it feels like preaching to a chord, people - those who can - already use it for the most part, where you can put the extra people? Strap them on the side of the bus? And also, given how spreadout the US population is (again, given how big this country is), you can't reasonably expect people to sit on a bus for a 2h commute. If you want people to give up their cars, you must give them an alternative mean to keep their jobs like ... trip that is 40+ miles should be accommodated by something like bullet trains. Sitting on a bus for 3h to get to the airport on the outskirt is ok as a once a while trip, but if you want people to take that trip everyday you better damn give them something like a monorail if you gonna tell them to stop using car. The reason I mentioned Japan earlier because of this:
Japan has an efficient public transportation network, especially within metropolitan areas and between the large cities. Japanese public transportation is characterized by its punctuality, its superb service, and the large crowds of people using it.
Do we have any of those? Big - fat - no. So to me, it's actually irritating to hear people say stuffs like "people need use public transportation more!" or "people should just give up their cars" because they are for the most part pointless drivel that demonstrate a lack of understanding of the anything else outside their own perspective. Worse, thing like "we should just ban people from driving car" not only show a lack of understanding, but also a complete lack of respect and consideration for others. You want a good way to drive people away from your cause? Just keep doing that, and then people wonder why no one listened to them. This is just a simple example btw, but this is a persistent problem with many of the current issue - sending the message. And not just the message itself, like I mentioned in my first post in this thread, sometime I feel the messages are directed at the wrong people.

Remember with the right word you can convince people even of a lie, so just saying "what I'm saying is the truth whether you like it or not" is a good way to convince ... nobody who are not already in agreement. Just like a councilor ain't gonna help anyone if he simply said "want a better life? Git guud!" (even though that's probably all it takes half of the time). That's why I always advise looking at any issue from multiple perspectives instead of being one dimensional about it.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 17. Aug 19, 23:52

Oh Lord, what happened to this thread. 😫

I felt a tremendous sense of wellbeing as I thought up of a method to save humankind that no one has thought of, and then noticed the ravenous bugblatter beast had struck.

Anyhow, saving the world: Play all your games on the lowest graphic settings.

Or science could make The Happening a reality. That sure would lessen our impact on the environment. - Note saving the world is definitely a very different thing to saving humanity. They do kinda appear to be in opposition at the minute.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 18. Aug 19, 00:28

Best contribution in recent year is probably my veggie garden. Got it going for a few years now and it increase 50% in size each years.

- Rarely have to shop for veggie from August to December, aiming for fully independent once I figure out how to grow green in the summer.
- Have a green house to help with limited supply during winter months.
- Mix the soil myself, 100% compost + Coco coir (instead of peat) + grind volcanic rock.
- No pesticides or fertilizer. (Kinda have a semi aquaponic set up with my fishes).
- All heirloom seeded by myself during Jan-Feb.
- Try to get what I need from local farmer market.
- Kinda have a circle going with some of my colleagues, gonna be giving away my extra tomatoes this year for some squash.

What I can't do: convince my 70 years old dad from buying bottled water. Our household is guilty of releasing 48-72 plastic bottles to the landfill a month on average, and I don't know how to stop it. I even bought a water dispenser to use with the refillable 5gallon jug ... and end up being the only one using it. :(

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 18. Aug 19, 06:10

Mightysword wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 23:30
fiksal wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 22:23
And for good or bad - in a true Federal system like the US - the official word can change very often - and usually doesn't mean a damn. The states can very often mitigate the majority of damage steaming from Federal level, it also works in the other manner though. Case in point: Trump has been in office for 3 years, and while he had reversed several thing policy wise, it haven't really change the trajectory of the nation as a whole when it comes to environment issues. So the "official stance" is just a stick to beat on a guy people hate.
But it's a valid stick, and valid sticks must be used, otherwise it's a waste of a stick.

Now, I am unsure what can local governments and States do on that matter. I am vaguely following on what they've done. And you are right, that some States have taken steps towards cleaner air, less fossil fuels, more recycling.

Reversing policies is changing trajectory, though, is it not? Of course it's a slow moving machine, will see how far it goes before it's changed again.

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 17. Aug 19, 23:52
Anyhow, saving the world: Play all your games on the lowest graphic settings.
I like that!

Mightysword wrote:
Sun, 18. Aug 19, 00:28
Best contribution in recent year is probably my veggie garden. Got it going for a few years now and it increase 50% in size each years.

- Rarely have to shop for veggie from August to December, aiming for fully independent once I figure out how to grow green in the summer.
- Have a green house to help with limited supply during winter months.
- Mix the soil myself, 100% compost + Coco coir (instead of peat) + grind volcanic rock.
- No pesticides or fertilizer. (Kinda have a semi aquaponic set up with my fishes).
- All heirloom seeded by myself during Jan-Feb.
- Try to get what I need from local farmer market.
- Kinda have a circle going with some of my colleagues, gonna be giving away my extra tomatoes this year for some squash.
Now that's a cool project, kudos.

How big is it?
Mightysword wrote:
Sun, 18. Aug 19, 00:28
What I can't do: convince my 70 years old dad from buying bottled water. Our household is guilty of releasing 48-72 plastic bottles to the landfill a month on average, and I don't know how to stop it. I even bought a water dispenser to use with the refillable 5gallon jug ... and end up being the only one using it. :(
Ooff. Yes, the bottled water scheme. Why does he think the bottle water is better? Old habbits?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Aug 19, 12:05

" .. 48-72 plastic bottles to the landfill a month on average .." You can recycle plastic bottles if you want to enough. Especially as natural land erosion over time can mean that landfill does not stay as landfill in some places.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 18. Aug 19, 12:26

I haven't put a plastic bottle in household waste for over 10 years. - And those I don't recycle are because I've found another use for them. (I buy birdfeeders that screw into plastic bottles for instance.)

If you've access to a recycling bin or facility, there's no reason to put anything that can be recycled into a bin that's destined for landfill. (Or seafill as has just been pointed out.)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Return to “Off Topic English”