aim assist on/off ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

paulmapp8306

aim assist on/off ?

Post by paulmapp8306 » Tue, 10. Sep 19, 12:42

Hi,

Is there any way I can assign a button on my Hotas to toggle the aim assist on and off - or do I have to choose one or the other int he game menu.

Alternatively - If I have to do this in the game sttings - if I select aim assist on - how do I deselect any targets - that is get the on screen "dot" that indicates where Im actually going to shoot to revert back to the centre circle.

Thanks

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: aim assist on/off ?

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 10. Sep 19, 12:50

paulmapp8306 wrote:
Tue, 10. Sep 19, 12:42
Alternatively - If I have to do this in the game sttings - if I select aim assist on - how do I deselect any targets - that is get the on screen "dot" that indicates where Im actually going to shoot to revert back to the centre circle.
I usually do it by selecting space around the target. Tricky if ones field of vision is blocked by objects but for usual dog fights against single ships it works quite well.

The only time I find disabling aim assist would be useful is with L and XL combat because the aim assist sometimes gets aiming at the engines of the Xenon K and I completely wrong. Trying to shoot down S or even M ships without aim assist is very difficult if not borderline impossible for me, but maybe I just suck at dogfighting.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 11. Sep 19, 09:36

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 10. Sep 19, 12:50
paulmapp8306 wrote:
Tue, 10. Sep 19, 12:42
I usually do it by selecting space around the target. Tricky if ones field of vision is blocked by objects but for usual dog fights against single ships it works quite well.

The only time I find disabling aim assist would be useful is with L and XL combat because the aim assist sometimes gets aiming at the engines of the Xenon K and I completely wrong. Trying to shoot down S or even M ships without aim assist is very difficult if not borderline impossible for me, but maybe I just suck at dogfighting.
lol, if you fight like the AI, in that you zoom past each other shooting... and keep going, then turn around, and do it again, like knights jousting, aim assist isn't needed much. But if you're actually dogfighting, then yeah, aim assist is a huge help.... otherwise it's just a real pain.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 11. Sep 19, 10:37

I think IG missed the "Hotas" part. When playing with a controller, you can't "select" empty space. And aim assist gets in the way too much sometimes. With mouse it's trivial to aim where you want. With no mouse, you have to maneuver to compensate for this "assist", especially at shorter distances. Which kind of defeats the point of assisting. There's also auto-targeting which often doesn't do what you want at all.

EDIT: I'd love a radial menu bound to target button, popping when holding that button. In which one could quickly toggle assist on/off, restrict target selection to subsystems only, enemies only, ship size, etc. Allowing settings that would apply both to target cycling buttons and auto-targeting.
I.e:

Code: Select all

Enemies/
     Subsystems only/     Neutrals
     Subsystems never/               Stations
                        \    |    /
         Aim assist  --             --  Reset
                        /    |    \
                       S     M    (X)L

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 12. Sep 19, 00:30

grapedog wrote:
Wed, 11. Sep 19, 09:36
lol, if you fight like the AI, in that you zoom past each other shooting... and keep going, then turn around, and do it again, like knights jousting, aim assist isn't needed much. But if you're actually dogfighting, then yeah, aim assist is a huge help.... otherwise it's just a real pain.
For S and M swatting I usually fly a Nemesis M Corvette. As this is my personal ship it has mods installed on it to boost its normal flight speed to around 700 m/s. The Pulse Lasers I use have a range of around 6-7 km. Trying to shoot S ships at 5-7 km distance while flying at 700m/s without aim assist is as good as impossible. Even if one could make X4 run at 200Hz+ I doubt it will make a difference in such situation to aiming as on a standard 1080p display the S ships are only a few pixels in size.
radcapricorn wrote:
Wed, 11. Sep 19, 10:37
I think IG missed the "Hotas" part.
Well until I googled it just now I honestly had no idea what a "Hotas" was. Apparently it is what most people would call a joystick...

I would have thought one of the mini joysticks on the top would control the weapon aim similar to the mouse cursor.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 12. Sep 19, 05:14

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 12. Sep 19, 00:30
Well until I googled it just now I honestly had no idea what a "Hotas" was. Apparently it is what most people would call a joystick...
I would have thought one of the mini joysticks on the top would control the weapon aim similar to the mouse cursor.
I don't think there's mouse emulation for the cockpit (could be mistaken, of course). There is for the map though.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 12. Sep 19, 14:19

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 12. Sep 19, 00:30

It is a joystick, plus a separate throttle control unit. Hands on throttle and stick. Both hands occupied on separate controllers.

Return to “X4: Foundations”