What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Tamina » Fri, 31. Jul 20, 19:42

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 17:38
Just finished it. Was quite pleased! This has probably been one of the more imaginative TV shows I've seen in a while.
The premise of "the world is going to end, again! Here are the same but developed and therefore boring characters from Season 1, again!" is just not selling it to me, yet. Season 2 seems like the same story all over again, without the mystery, the wonky broken characters and the beautiful camera work from season 1 - yet!
The problem are my high expectations, probably. :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 07:58

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 19:42
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 17:38
Just finished it. Was quite pleased! This has probably been one of the more imaginative TV shows I've seen in a while.
The premise of "the world is going to end, again! Here are the same but developed and therefore boring characters from Season 1, again!" is just not selling it to me, yet. Season 2 seems like the same story all over again, without the mystery, the wonky broken characters and the beautiful camera work from season 1 - yet!
The problem are my high expectations, probably. :D
I think you'll see it's not that simple =p I wont spoil but I will say the show is more about the journey and less about the destination.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 16:02

Morkonan wrote:
Tue, 1. Jan 19, 10:09
Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Tue, 1. Jan 19, 09:55
i just started watching the outpost its fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1qR2xZ3dY
Please, please, please be good... Please don't be "90210 with Dragons." :)
Recently finished watching season 2 of this. It was a struggle tbh, fast-forwarded/skipped portions just to get it over with. I kept wanting to like it, which is why I kept watching, it had some interesting ideas but again the writing is just awful. I can tolerate the low budget fight and CGI scenes, even the overacting of most characters could be looked over, but the writing is just bad, its STD bad.

Not sure if done on purpose but soon it became clear that women were the heroes here, strong women mostly in charge even though they keep saying that its a man's world. Thats not a bad thing though, its the shoehorned delivery of it that is atrocious, no subtlety whatsoever, it took me out of it every time. I kept thinking they were trying to get a Xena Princess Worrior type vibe but had no clue what made Xena good. Still this was not the worst thing, what infuriates me and makes me wish to get the time spent back, is the bad character development. Characters do stupid shit all the time, as with STD, they want to portray strong women, but then write them to do things so out of character it pisses me of. The main character dies like 5 times and is saved every time, most of the times by men, most of them with no skill to do so.

Shoehorned love triangles that have the chemistry of dry sand, people switching interest on a whim, people being betrayed to then go back and trust them in minutes to the get betrayed again AND BE SURPRISED FOR BEING BETRAYED AGAIN!!!

Yes this is outdated and probably no one even heard of this show, but again a good example on how NOT to write and develop characters.

/rant

MFG

Ketraar

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 20:57

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 31. Jul 20, 14:21
The Umbrella Academy, Season 2 :)
Started it last night and finished it this morning :D .... Super cool!

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Sun, 2. Aug 20, 09:17

Started the Magicians, still unsure if it's worth it.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 2. Aug 20, 12:47

For all the old timers and fans of the original Transformers series there is Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy Season 1.

Good writing, great art style to an interesting backstory. Good character development and depictions of both well and less known characters and lore. If you like good transformers (not that MBay crap) then this is for you.

MFG

Ketraar

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sun, 2. Aug 20, 12:49

Ketraar wrote:
Sun, 2. Aug 20, 12:47
For all the old timers and fans of the original Transformers series there is Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy Season 1.

Good writing, great art style to an interesting backstory. Good character development and depictions of both well and less known characters and lore. If you like good transformers (not that MBay crap) then this is for you.

MFG

Ketraar
Me Grimlock approves :D
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 30. Aug 20, 04:50

Here's a blast from the past. Cobra Kai on Netflix. I didn't catch the launch of the first season, season 2 just launched. But I've watched a few episodes now and on the whole, it's interesting. It has kind of a power rangers, saved by the bell vibe at times. But over all, I'm enjoying it.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Tue, 8. Sep 20, 16:44

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 30. Aug 20, 04:50
Here's a blast from the past. Cobra Kai on Netflix. I didn't catch the launch of the first season, season 2 just launched. But I've watched a few episodes now and on the whole, it's interesting. It has kind of a power rangers, saved by the bell vibe at times. But over all, I'm enjoying it.
Yes. I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it. Less of a cartoony good vs evil vibe than the movies - it's still there in places but they've definitely attempted to add some nuance. Worth a watch!

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Tue, 8. Sep 20, 16:47

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Sun, 2. Aug 20, 09:17
Keep going. I wasn't sure in the beginning but I'm totally in love with all the characters now. They're flawed in so many respects but there's some lovely, touching human moments.

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 8. Sep 20, 17:17

Y-llian wrote:
Tue, 8. Sep 20, 16:47
BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Sun, 2. Aug 20, 09:17
Keep going. I wasn't sure in the beginning but I'm totally in love with all the characters now. They're flawed in so many respects but there's some lovely, touching human moments.
I completed all the seasons. I liked the characters, too.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 9. Sep 20, 03:57

Started Raised by Wolves, produced by Ridley and directed by Luke Scott, starring Travis Fimmel. So far a very good, tense, blood and gore scify series.

Cheers Euclid

Edit: Another interesting series Devs. E.
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 27. Sep 20, 21:39

So this slipped in under the radar but is a pleasant surprise. Season 3 of Sword Art Online will be available on Netflix this Thursday, 10/1.

In addition, I'm currently watching Season 2 of The Boys on Amazon Prime. I will be watching Season 3 of Discovery that launches 10/15 on CBS All Access and Season 2 of The Mandalorian on Disney+ on 10/30.

If any of you folks are Rooster Teeth fans, there's been some big shakeups with those guys since they were purchased by Warner Media. Notably, Burnie Burns and Joel Heyman are gone. A new Red Vs. Blue series is launching on 10/19 and the only returning regular cast are Shannon McCormick (Washington) and Jen Brown (Carolina).

A little further down the road we have RWBY Season 8 launching 11/7. The staff changes haven't impacted this too much, all of the main cast is still there from the 7th season.

Still no official launch date for Gen:Lock season 2. But it's premier will be on HBO Max instead of RT's website for the first 90 days. We may see it in October as well, who knows, though. They're being pretty tight lipped about it. We know it's coming, just not sure when.
rebellionpac.com

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 27. Sep 20, 22:01

Enola Holmes
- Movie on Netflix 😊

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 28. Sep 20, 08:49

I watched Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (Netflix). It's well done, for kids but, you know: DINOSAURS <3 !

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 11:33

Just finished watching "Veronica Mars" from start to finish on Amazon (via starzplay), reminded me of Buffy without Vampires and it is touches on darker themes. Also just started "The Boys" on Amazon, a very different take on the Superheroes theme. (Quite a lot of profanity - it would have given Mary Whitehouse a funny turn!)
A flower?

Lenah90

Post by Lenah90 » Mon, 5. Oct 20, 14:09

I was thinking about starting a new series (this thread is full of ideas), but I'm always watching the same like a hundred times :P . I just finished to watch Grimm (again...).

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 04:07

Not really a movie or TV but ... for some reason this showed up in my youtube recommendation feed today. It got me thinking: imagine a place where stuffs like this can be passed as harmless comedy rather than kicking up a shitstorm.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 10. Oct 20, 21:11

Mightysword wrote:
Sat, 10. Oct 20, 04:07
Not really a movie or TV but ... for some reason this showed up in my youtube recommendation feed today. It got me thinking: imagine a place where stuffs like this can be passed as harmless comedy rather than kicking up a shitstorm.
Mitsuboshi Colors, an anima that reminds me of Rugrats for some reason. The RPG is from the first episode there is no lead up to it they just suddenly attack the cop with RPG. The cop is their friendly nemesis, they are always playing pranks on each other. A mid range Anime, neither great or bad. That clip has been pretty well edited, as there is much more to it than you are seeing in the clip. For example, the reason it didn't fire for them was because the safety was on which they didn't know about, in the full clip it is talked about and you see the policeman turning it off before firing the RPG.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 23:24

Das Boot, the series on Now TV .

It's not a remake of the older version nor a retelling the book but it is rather gripping.

Return to “Off Topic English”